The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Admin. Help: double post in off-topic

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 1 2016, 12:33am

Post #1 of 17 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Admin. Help: double post in off-topic Can't Post

I'm having that problem again where it takes 10-15 refreshes and re-doings to post anything. And now somehow it did it twice, even though it showed only once on my end. I know it's apparently only on my computer, but I have no idea what's going on with my computer that would suddenly cause these problems, since I haven't installed anything new or done anything at all new on it in months and months. So anyway, if an admin would kindly remove one of the duplicate posts, I would be very grateful.

And if anyone out there might possibly have some idea of what could be going on with my computer to cause this, I would be very grateful! It's almost impossible to post at all these days.Frown

Here's the thread with my double posts down near the bottom. http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=914534#914534

Oh no, now there are three of another post I made to apologize for the double post!!!! Help! And it won't post this one either! This time I got a "The Bad request" page that said I was missing a ':' separator, whatever that is. But then eventually the thing will post anyway, separator or not!

And here again as one of the messages I frequently get. The other is that "Bad request" page.

Method Not Implemented
------------75890626510322163221086823388 to /torwp/wp-content/cache/supercache/www.theonering.net/torwp//index.html not supported.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at www.theonering.net Port 80

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2016, 12:48am

Post #2 of 17 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Hocus-pocus, adio-cus [In reply to] Can't Post

Gone! Smile (Just the duplicates, that is.)

If you were to ask me, I would postulate a Balrog infection in your WiFi connection! Or Orc-mischief.

But I appeal to the "higher powers" on this one, you're getting some weird stuff there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 1 2016, 1:23am

Post #3 of 17 (1813 views)
Shortcut
"Balrog infection in your WiFi connection" But . . . but [In reply to] Can't Post

that would mean it could "fly" through the Ether!

Thanks for your help!Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2016, 5:04am

Post #4 of 17 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Insubstantial wings might help with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am no wizard, nor yet a master of the elvish arts, so all I can offer is the techno-hobbity suggestion that, when in doubt, a thorough scan for orcmischief malware and goblinses viruses is always my first step.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 3:08pm

Post #5 of 17 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Well I tried all that, and [In reply to] Can't Post

full scans with 2 different programs (both highly recommended for Macs, which rarely have malware of any kind anyway) only found a little something in Safari, which I don't even use to post things (it happens on both Chrome and Firefox). And it's still happening today.

I'd be so grateful if this could maybe be forwarded to Inferno or someone else who can navigate the Bowels of the Cyber-earth?

Like the Balrog, I'm just winging it.Angelic

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 3 2016, 3:33pm

Post #6 of 17 (1736 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've not used a Mac since 1992. What little I remember about that version of a Mac is so outdated as to be useless these days. Linux is really my bailiwick, and I do passingly well with Windows, but I'm as lost as an elf in Moria when it comes to Macs.

Inferno

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 4:31pm

Post #7 of 17 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no problem. I understand it's like a bunch of [In reply to] Can't Post

different countries or languages. My brother is a Linux aficionado and has Ubuntu installed on or parents' computer. Do you know of anyone else Amongst the Admins who might have some idea?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 4:35pm

Post #8 of 17 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Oh, no problem. I understand it's like a bunch of [In reply to] Can't Post

different countries or languages. My brother is a Linux aficionado, and even has Ubuntu installed on our parents' computer. I might run it by him, but he's pretty much in the same 2 computer areas as you are. Is there anyone else you know Amongst the Admins or on the boards who might have a clue?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 4:37pm

Post #9 of 17 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Well, it did it again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Said the "bad request" one 3X and then posted it the 4rth. And then somehow posted one of the earlier ones while saying it couldn't do it.MadCrazy

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3 2016, 7:40pm

Post #10 of 17 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Cookie error? [In reply to] Can't Post

From a brief googling, it seems this tends to be related to problems with site cookies. Have you tried clearing your browser cache and TORN cookies? Since it's just you having the problem, hopefully if you clear you can then get a new one that isn't broken.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Oct 3 2016, 8:21pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 8:25pm

Post #11 of 17 (1715 views)
Shortcut
It's the Cookie Monster! No, actually, Firefox clears [In reply to] Can't Post

on shutdown every time, the way I have it set. And I clear all my browsers' caches frequently. Also, I just uninstalled and re-installed Firefox yesterday. And it's still doing it.

It is the Cookie Monster.Unsure

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 17 (1715 views)
Shortcut
It's the Cookie Monster! No, actually, Firefox clears [In reply to] Can't Post

all its cookies on shutdown, the way I have it set. And I clear the caches of all my browsers frequently. Plus, I just uninstalled and re-installed Firefox last night, but no change today.

It is the Cookie Monster.Unsure

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 8:29pm

Post #13 of 17 (1715 views)
Shortcut
And this one took 6 times, and did another double post! Saruman? // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3 2016, 11:09pm

Post #14 of 17 (1713 views)
Shortcut
A long shot...but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you uninstall one of the browsers, then re-install it, and see if this still happens?

Also, can you test from another computer and see if this still happens?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 11:44pm

Post #15 of 17 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I un-and-re-installed Firefox [In reply to] Can't Post

last night, with no effect at all. I could try my daughter's laptop if she'll let me, but that's the only other computer around, and usually it's with her. (I don't have a smart phone, or I'd try that). Merci!Evil

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 3 2016, 11:51pm

Post #16 of 17 (1714 views)
Shortcut
If no one else here is getting that error message [In reply to] Can't Post

it means the problem isn't with TORn. It's definitely something on your end, which means there's nothing anyone here can do to help except keep giving you moral support and suggesting various other tests you could try.

I didn't see if you said whether you've tried to use browsers other than Firefox. You might download Internet Explorer or Chrome and see if they work.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 3 2016, 11:54pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 4 2016, 2:47am

Post #17 of 17 (1699 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I was just hoping someone else had seen it happen too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to see if a friend can help, maybe, or my brother. I use Chrome, Firefox and Safari all the time, but mostly Chrome and Firefox. It does happen on all 3 of them, every time, although I've only tried Safari once, several days ago.
I was kinda hoping a "TORn civilian"Wink that knows computers might chime in, but I think I've maxed out here. Sorry!Blush

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.