It's the 'is the election over yet?' What are You Watching Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 1:18am

Post #1 of 57 (2172 views)
Shortcut
It's the 'is the election over yet?' What are You Watching Thread Can't Post

Cats here subbing once again for Kim, as she enjoys a nice mug of ale in some cozy corner of the world.

I followed the debate on Twitter. Recently finished watching 'The Night Of,' which had a much weaker ending than beginning. I'll always take more John Tuturro, of course!

Started season 3 of 'Transparent'. First two eps were very moving and, as always, very well done. Can't wait to binge the rest soon. 'One Mississipi' is another Amazon comedy I'll be starting soon.

So what have YOU been watching lately, might I ask?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 28 2016, 1:19am)

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 2:12am

Post #2 of 57 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Poi E - The Story of Our Song [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally!
Just wonderful, and such an important NZ film.
If any of you non-Kiwis get a chance to see this, don't miss it. It will tell you so much about the real NZ.
Poi-E (movie site)

Other than that I have been wallowing in hours and hours of glorious trashy reality telly, just perfect in the holidays.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 2:41am

Post #3 of 57 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Making a note of it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope I get to see it sometime.

What's the name of the NZ equivalent of Extreme Makeover-Home Edition? Rather, the one that takes that concept but turns it into a competition show. The name escapes me...can't tell you how many hours of that I suffered through.
CoolCool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 3:00am

Post #4 of 57 (1999 views)
Shortcut
The Block? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hideous programme. Not my kind of trashy telly at all. Poor you having to watch it!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2016, 3:21am

Post #5 of 57 (1993 views)
Shortcut
Catching up on some Disney fare - "Frozen" & "Zootopia" [In reply to] Can't Post

Call me old fashioned, but I've always been more partial to Disney's traditional 2D animated films, growing up on the now modern classics of the Disney Renaissance (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin & The Lion King). Which is not to say that I haven't also loved my fair share of CGI animation (I also grew up on Toy Story). But much of the newer stuff has never been that high on my list of things to get to, tbh.

But this past weekend, I indulged and watched the more recent "Zootopia", as well as the one that everyone seems to be crazy about, "Frozen".

And I absolutely adored both. Heart

Zootopia was pretty much the cutest thing I've seen in quite a while, and a barrel of laughs at that. And Frozen, despite having a modern edge to it, felt classically Disney in all the best ways (I can see why the music has caught on so much, it was wonderful).

It's rather funny that, even though my tastes tend to trend darker the more I age (in addition to my Game of Thrones obsession, I've also become deliriously immersed in The Walking Dead), I still love to sit down and become wrapped up in the joyous world of a Disney film. Blush

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 28 2016, 3:55am

Post #6 of 57 (1991 views)
Shortcut
11-22-63 [In reply to] Can't Post

I had read the book, and loved it, so I was excited about renting the miniseries. We watched it this weekend, all 8 hours. I thought they did a great job, but it didn't have to be quite that long. four hours would have been plenty.

The story is of a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination. But "the past pushes back", and there are lots of obstacles thrown in his way.

As in the book, what I loved most were the rich details of life in the early 60s (the cars alone were so much fun to see), and the sweet love story. I was so glad they kept the lovely, tearjerker ending (apparently King's daughter suggested it to him.)

It was also so interesting to see Lee and Marina Oswald in their daily life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 4:36am

Post #7 of 57 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just relived the experience via Wikipedia. Forgot it was Australian.

Pirate

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 4:42am

Post #8 of 57 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Explained by the fact that it is Australian..Wink

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 4:44am

Post #9 of 57 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Was going to make a joke... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I knew to leave that to the Kiwi. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 4:51am

Post #10 of 57 (1966 views)
Shortcut
100% opportunity [In reply to] Can't Post

to post my favourite ad.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 8:19am

Post #11 of 57 (1959 views)
Shortcut
Poldark - new series.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Loving it. Also GBBO, which we might as well make the best of now it's going to the dark side.... *sniff - passes round the tea and cakes

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 28 2016, 12:30pm

Post #12 of 57 (1944 views)
Shortcut
Finishing season four of [In reply to] Can't Post

Once Upon A Time and have been watching some Fraiser on Netflix.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Annael
Immortal

Sep 28 2016, 3:43pm

Post #13 of 57 (1925 views)
Shortcut
baseball [In reply to] Can't Post

will the Mariners win a playoff spot? They seem determined to keep us on tenterhooks until the last game . . .

NCIS: I think the post-Tony crew is going to do just fine. Wilmer Valderrama especially. Favorite moment: when McGee found out that being the senior agent means getting Gibbs-slapped when he gets too full of himself.

Otherwise I'm mostly watching my new kitten, Dubh, do hilarious kitten things.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Sep 28 2016, 6:16pm

Post #14 of 57 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Watching the Disney Renissance, particularly Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 7:05pm

Post #15 of 57 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait for Poldark! [In reply to] Can't Post

It starts here next week. As does GBBO. (A two year old series is starting. Crazy)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2016, 7:35pm

Post #16 of 57 (1900 views)
Shortcut
During the Sydney Olympics, an Aussie friend [In reply to] Can't Post

asked why New Zealand was so good at rowing. I told him they double as our navy.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2016, 9:08pm

Post #17 of 57 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Anything but... [In reply to] Can't Post

the U.S. debates/election.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 10:42pm

Post #18 of 57 (1878 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I might use that one.
Makes a change from talking about how we only seem to win medals by sitting on our bottoms. Laugh

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 29 2016, 1:35pm

Post #19 of 57 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Galavant (TV series, 2015-2016) A musical comedy fantasy series. Binge watching with Wifey. Usually nice songs by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater. Never quite lives up to either comedy or fantasy. There are some nice concepts in the first season but by the second season they’re pretty tired. There is no third season.
-Recommended for the first season songs.

The Big Short (2015) A tragi-comedy semi-documentary based on Michael Lewis’ non-fiction book about the 2006 subprime bubble. Christian Bale, Steve Carvey, Ryan Gosling, and Brad Pitt portray players who see the Great Recession coming. After failing to convince investors, bankers, government, friends, or family of the coming disaster they’re faced with the decision to become filthy rich by betting on the coming economic ruin that will destroy millions of lives. (A highlight is Margot Robbie breaking the fourth wall to explain economic terms to the audience. While taking a bubble bath.) What’s really scary is as I drive around inspecting housing construction for stormwater regulation compliance I find myself asking the same questions these guys started with: “Who’s buying all these new expensive homes?” and “How the heck can they afford them?”
-Very recommended.

Boom Bust Boom (2015) Terry Jones, leading economists, and singing puppets examine the cyclic history of economic systems. It’s argued that since today’s universally accepted neo-classical economic model (i.e., free market theory) assumes that people act rationally it cannot predict irrational economic bubbles. On the other hand, it’s argued that economic bubbles are very rational because that’s the best way to make lots and lots of money…as long as you cash out in time.
-Recommended.

Presidential Debates (2016) Tried watching but it was just too depressing. It's going to be a very bumpy four years.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2016, 11:20pm

Post #20 of 57 (1809 views)
Shortcut
I've had West Wing on for a couple weeks now. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's better that way. Smile

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 29 2016, 11:50pm

Post #21 of 57 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Presidential Debate [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Presidential Debates (2016) Tried watching but it was just too depressing. It's going to be a very bumpy four years.

I did watch the debate but I was also following writer Peter David's live-blogging of it at the same time. I thought that Senator Clinton clearly came out on top and I predict that the polls (the real ones, not the on-line polls) will back that up.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30 2016, 3:07am

Post #22 of 57 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and Brooklyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally caught up on this lovely film. It's such a deceptively simple story, but has so many layers. And it is also very funny in places, particularly the scenes with Julie Walters as the Brooklyn boarding house matriarch.
Highly recommended.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 30 2016, 4:46am

Post #23 of 57 (1736 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, lots of really well-timed comedy. Glad you enjoyed!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2016, 3:19pm

Post #24 of 57 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Transparent [In reply to] Can't Post

How is that? Can't get that channel (whatever it is because I can only get The Big Three and PBS) but have heard good stuff about it on NPR.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2016, 3:54pm

Post #25 of 57 (1702 views)
Shortcut
frozen zootopia [In reply to] Can't Post

Two fabulous films!

Judy Hopps godzillaing through Rodentville (or whatever it was called) was the funniest thing...

"Time to address the elephant in the room..."

The fact that all the other cops were HUGE animals... they did a great job of showing the bunny's real obstacles.

The old childhood enemy providing a clue (night howlers)...

The wolf guards having a howl (it happens to everyone who lives with Siberian huskies).

The animators clearly studied the animals. I loved how the natural movements of animals like otters (I've been bitten by one) and giraffes were combined with anthropomorphic characteristics. Well done!

Frozen not only had a fabulous soundtrack (unless you have a kid who's been playing it 459125818 times a day). It also had great animation. The reindeer was sooooooooooooooo reindeery. The horses were Norwegian Fjords (who used to have a bumpersticker that said "have you driven a Fjord lately?"). (they now have a T-shirt that says "you can have any color as long as it's dun (again riffing on the Ford car... Model Ts were advertised as you can have any color as long as it's black).

They had done their homework so well that they fooled me; Hans' horse is the typical brunblakk or brown dun. Anna's horse looked grey.

Heh???? They don't come in grey (a normal horse color with the greying gene that eventually turns them white).

I researched it and Anna's horse is grey dun (grulla in other breeds). or maybe white dun, both "greyish".

Dun is a fairly primitive color. It's a gene that dilutes Bay (brunblakk), Chestnut (red dun or rodblakk), Black (grey dun, grulla). The cream gene creates, by itself: bay becomes buckskin, chestnut becomes palomino. Cream gene on top of the dun gene, you get a couple of lighter shades: buckskin dun or dunskin (ulsblakk) and palomino dun (gulblakk).

whew!

The fabulous manes, cut and snipped to stand erect with neat trimming to show off the "reverse oreo" coloring; white on the outside, dark on the inside... was done very neatly in Frozen. The animators cleverly chose two horses of different authentic colors and stylings so we could tell them apart.

and apparently they can levitate...
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/...rd-horse-7085815.jpg

Laugh

(gallop caught at the moment all four legs are off the ground)

Finding Dory was awesome. Hank was hilarious. And Dory in various containers ranging from coffee pot to sippy cup was fabulous. The core of the story is the difference between blue fish Dory's way of overcoming obstacles and the orange fish Marlin's. While Marlin is an inside the box kind of guy, Dory kind of goes with the flow and has no idea what a box is.

I am so Dory.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.