The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Original book cover

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 2:58pm

Post #1 of 25 (4957 views)
Shortcut
Original book cover Can't Post

I heard somewhere that the cover for ''The Hobbit'' book was originally painted in different colors, since the sky was green and the sun was yellow or white or something... but that Tolkien later redrawn the cover with the colors he intented... I remember this bit especially about him redrawing the sun red.

I have seen both 'editions' in bookstores and I want to purchase the one with the original colors intended by Tolkien.

Does anyone here know which is it? And perhaps give a reference (like something proving)?

Thanks.

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Sep 27 2016, 3:08pm)

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 3:38pm

Post #2 of 25 (4888 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this website here http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/booksbytolkien/hobbit/editions.htm which might help...

It says this in the summary of the first edition, and lower down the page it shows one which fits this description...

Originally Tolkien intended the flying dragon and the sun to be painted red, but budget restraints forced the red color to be substituted with black.

Hope this helps

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 3:38pm

Post #3 of 25 (4895 views)
Shortcut
These are the covers that I am talking about..... [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2016, 3:54pm

Post #4 of 25 (4872 views)
Shortcut
I've moved this thread over to Main [In reply to] Can't Post

so more folks can see and respond to it. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 27 2016, 4:16pm

Post #5 of 25 (4880 views)
Shortcut
Cover of the 70th anniversary edition.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is said to reproduce Tolkien's original colour scheme. This is the jacket (Harper Collins 70th anniversary):

...and here's your evidence (this is what it says about the design on the inside back fold of this jacket):

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 27 2016, 4:20pm

Post #6 of 25 (4869 views)
Shortcut
Just to add.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I scanned the pictures above from my own copy. The duller blue and green I can see on my screen (duller compared to the cover you scanned) is pretty accurate.

that I have never seen:

squire
Half-elven

Sep 27 2016, 6:26pm

Post #7 of 25 (4854 views)
Shortcut
The original cover was in black, blue and green only. The color red was cut to save money. [In reply to] Can't Post

(image reproduced from a Reddit post)

This is the dustjacket cover of the first edition of The Hobbit in the UK. As noted already, Tolkien had conceived of the sun and the dragon as being in red, but the publisher's budget restricted him to just black, blue and green.

As you can see, the first image you posted is much closer, but it uses a kind of buff-drab for the sun and for the lines of runes at top and bottom. That is not correct for the first edition. Also, your image has been cropped somewhat at top and bottom at least, if not the sides; and Tolkien's name has been reset in all-caps typeface to replace his hand-lettered upper-lower case name.

The second image, a simplified mountainscape in black and grey with a strong red sun, is an original design by a contemporary artist for the 75th anniversary edition. It is said to be 'inspired' by Tolkien's original cover.

Another poster has already given us the revised cover that is also now available, with Tolkien's 'intended' red sun and red dragon. Although I can see what Tolkien was going for, two red focal points for the front and back 'mirror-image/good-evil' covers, I'm so used to the published version that I kind of see the red as overkill - a bit gaudy when contrasted to the exquisite balance and taste of the design we have had for so long.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2016, 6:29pm

Post #8 of 25 (4845 views)
Shortcut
the replica 1st ed. Hobbit is almost ready to drop on doormats [In reply to] Can't Post

- in case you don't know, Harper Collins have made a facsimile of the 1937 1st edition of TH. It's been promised for years, and now it's imminent.

https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/9780007440832/the-hobbit-facsimile-first-edition

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 28 2016, 1:38pm

Post #9 of 25 (4750 views)
Shortcut
So which one out of those that I posted... [In reply to] Can't Post

is closer to the cover of the FIRST edition?

Trotter99

Sep 28 2016, 2:03pm

Post #10 of 25 (4746 views)
Shortcut
It is a facsimile of the 1937 UK first printing of the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a really good facsimile version of the dust-jacket from the UK first printing of the Hobbit from 1937.

You can see pictures of the book on this website

My collector's profile - http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/...llectors/Trotter.htm

squire
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 5:51pm

Post #11 of 25 (4729 views)
Shortcut
The literacy of your editors is somewhat lessened of late, HarperCollins... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is just one of the paragraphs of the publicity blurb:
'The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text particularly those to chapter 5, when Tolkien decided in 1947 to revise the text to bring it better into accord with events as they were developing in its sequel’, The Lord of the Rings - mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult.'
I am shocked at how badly written this is. It's all the more shameful coming from the corporate descendant of Tolkien's original publisher.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 28 2016, 9:13pm

Post #12 of 25 (4701 views)
Shortcut
Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

for doing that. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 9:33pm

Post #13 of 25 (4697 views)
Shortcut
If you compare them.... [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll see that the first of the covers you posted - the blue and green one - is closest to the UK first edition. It's not exactly the same, but it's closest.

The lower one that you posted - the black one - is a much later design by another artist, as squire explained.

I misunderstood your first post. I thought you wanted to know the colour scheme Tolkien originally intended, with the red sun and the red dragon. That was the one I posted for you: it wasn't used for the first edition because it used too many colours. It was used on the 70th anniversary edition.

that I have never seen:

squire
Half-elven

Sep 28 2016, 9:52pm

Post #14 of 25 (4694 views)
Shortcut
That 70th Anniversary cover, with the red sun and dragon, is different from the 1st (and later) eds. in many other ways. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is Tolkien's painting, in watercolor, that he submitted to the publisher. For this edition it has been reproduced by photo process.

But when the publishers accepted it in 1937, a photo process was out of the question. They did more than just cut the color red. They replaced Tolkien's shades of purple-grey with a solid blue, made all the greens a solid field as well, added the word 'by' below the title and above the author's name on the front, re-positioned the title and added their publishers' imprint on the spine, and made other subtle changes to accommodate both the requirements of the publishing business and the differences between painting a watercolor and screening a three color separation on a factory-produced dust jacket.

Nevertheless, Tolkien's design was so good that the overall impression is almost exactly the same. Not bad for a previously unpublished author and amateur artist!

squire online:

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 29 2016, 12:36am

Post #15 of 25 (4688 views)
Shortcut
I suppose they were just referring to the "Golden Mean," [In reply to] Can't Post

or something.Angelic Yes, somebody needs to take that whole thing apart, and put it back together.

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Sep 29 2016, 12:39am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2016, 8:33am

Post #16 of 25 (4656 views)
Shortcut
It is a beautiful design. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you need to see it in full - back, spine and front reproduced as one piece - to appreciate just how strong a design it is and how much thought went into it.

The red I can take or leave but I love the more subtle colouring of Tolkien's painting as reproduced on the Anniversary cover. Equally, the original printed jacket with its brighter blue and green is an old friend now. My childhood copy is a 1960s hardback but the jacket looks more or less the same.

that I have never seen:

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 29 2016, 2:07pm

Post #17 of 25 (4629 views)
Shortcut
Just curious... [In reply to] Can't Post

How many copies of the book ''The Hobbit'' do you own?
Wink

Trotter99

Sep 29 2016, 2:46pm

Post #18 of 25 (4623 views)
Shortcut
I own about 175 copies [In reply to] Can't Post

and one more today, as the facsimile Hobbit was delivered.

The Hobbit is my favourite book Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2016, 4:19pm

Post #19 of 25 (4608 views)
Shortcut
Just three.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the two I've mentioned and the annotated Hobbit. I'm not really a book collector....

I just buy a lot of books! Angelic

that I have never seen:

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Oct 2 2016, 2:42pm

Post #20 of 25 (4418 views)
Shortcut
Are you serious? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there something different about all these copies or did you bought several of the same edition(s) or something? Laugh

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 2 2016, 8:18pm

Post #21 of 25 (4391 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That's unbelievable! Amazing collection!
I myself, have a grand total of (drum roll) 2 editions of The Hobbit Wink

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 3 2016, 1:24pm

Post #22 of 25 (4320 views)
Shortcut
72 various editions [In reply to] Can't Post

47 US editions and 25 international editions

Which includes:
1937/38 - 2nd state
1954 - 1st US edition with changes in Riddles in the Dark
1965 - signed by Sean Astin (sans Lion)
1965 - Remington illustration with the elusive Lion

I also have:
5 lp/phonograph versions
1 ebook
2 audio versions

(so far ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 2:11pm

Post #23 of 25 (4311 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to include.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....two illustrated editions (Alan Lee and Michael Hague), the unabridged audio book read by Rob Inglis and the earlier abridged recording by Nicol Williamson.

I think that's all!

that I have never seen:

Trotter99

Oct 3 2016, 3:45pm

Post #24 of 25 (4298 views)
Shortcut
Yes I do [In reply to] Can't Post

I only collect UK editions, plus a few US editions, of The Hobbit, but have every UK hardback impression and reprint from the first printing in 1937 to 1985, and they are not all the same and as a collector am very grateful.

I also have every other UK Hobbit that has been released to 2016 as well.

You can see more about my collection in my signature Smile

(This post was edited by Trotter99 on Oct 3 2016, 3:48pm)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 3 2016, 4:17pm

Post #25 of 25 (4290 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I checked out the link in your signature! So many books!!!! Are you currently collecting the Lord of the Rings, as you have all the editions of The Hobbit?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.