Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Need assistance with trip to New Zealand!

hobbitstoisengard
The Shire

Sep 25 2016, 11:53pm

Post #1 of 5 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Need assistance with trip to New Zealand! Can't Post

Hey everyone! I've been a big fan of LOTR and theonering.net for the longest time (way before the movies)! I'm finally achieving a 15 year old dream and going to New Zealand with my wife. I have been able to find basically every location I've wanted to...except one...one shooting location to rule them all. You know of what I speak.......

WHERE did they shoot the "they're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" scene?? It's also where you see the rocky plains of Rohan, so in addition to being the greatest LOTR meme in history, it also looks like a really beautiful place!

Juuuuust in case anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's the video of the place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

(17 seconds in)

Has anyone been there? Do you know where it is? And does anyone have any advice in general for NZ adventurers?

Thanks everyone!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2016, 3:31am

Post #2 of 5 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Hi hobbitstoisengard [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't help you with your location question, but I can help with the general advice! Way back when, another TORN member posted an anniversary mathom with the Advice to End All Advice regarding visiting New Zealand. You can read her post here.

(Unfortunately the phrase "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard" immediately sparks in my head this silly litle tune.) Unimpressed

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

HappyEnt

Sep 26 2016, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 5 (2328 views)
Shortcut
To Isengard Filming Location [In reply to] Can't Post

We went there with Red Carpet Tours. It is near the town of Ophir. I don't know if you can access the location on your own. I believe it is on private property. We had the landowner with us when we drove and walked the filming locations.

And, yes, it is really beautiful.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27 2016, 6:52pm

Post #4 of 5 (2292 views)
Shortcut
There's a great book [In reply to] Can't Post

you really need to read for your wonderful Quest!!! The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook by Ian Brodie. It's got detailed information of the filming locations in New Zealand. LOTS of great coloured pictures, maps, and is laced with comments about the filming by the actors/Jackson in an easy-to-carry paperback. A great companion for a proper adventure ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

hobbitstoisengard
The Shire

Sep 30 2016, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 5 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Thank you everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey everyone, just wanted to thank you for your help! I believe I've tracked the location down to a specific enough area for us to try and reach during our trip! It looks like it's privately owned though and they usually only let organized tours on the land. Anyone have any experience contacting property owners directly? I've heard New Zealanders are really friendly but like...I don't want to assume anything!

And we are DEFINITELY getting that book. Thanks for the suggestion!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.