First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 24 2016, 8:39pm

Post #51 of 91 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Mythological Foundation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien based his dwarves on Norse mythology and, in the myths, Freya rides a battle-pig with golden bristles into war. When I first heard that Dain would ride a pig, I rolled my eyes, but it was beautifully realised and the Old Norse associations were much appreciated - by me, at least.

I appreciate that Dain's pig has precedents in mythology. Not only do we have Hildisvini, the boar of the Goddess Freya, but also Gullinbursti that was given to the god Freyr. And Thor had a chariot that was pulled by a pair of goats, Tanngniost and Tanngrisnir. I don't object to the fact of Dain's mount in the movie, just that it looks less like a wild boar than an overgrown potbellied pig.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 24 2016, 10:12pm

Post #52 of 91 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Been looking for this everywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

I KNEW I didn't just dream it up - I've been re-watching the Appendices trying to find the reference. So far no luck, but if Dain's mount really isn't mentioned by Tolkien, I must have seen/read it in the movie's Appendices.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 24 2016, 10:18pm

Post #53 of 91 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Weta's Hobbit Chronicles [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I KNEW I didn't just dream it up - I've been re-watching the Appendices trying to find the reference. So far no luck, but if Dain's mount really isn't mentioned by Tolkien, I must have seen/read it in the movie's Appendices.

You might try the two Hobbit Chronicles books about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies for notes on the possible inspiration(s) for Dain's battle-pig.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 24 2016, 11:50pm

Post #54 of 91 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Paid no attention, or did not read the OP at all. I only read his reply and thought he/she (ange3e4e5) was referring to Radagast. I will try to read more carefully next time. Cool

Although, I have seen both Alfrid AND Radagast be called ''the Jar Jar Binks of Middle-earh'', so that's probably why I commented wha I did.

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Sep 24 2016, 11:51pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 24 2016, 11:55pm

Post #55 of 91 (1885 views)
Shortcut
How can Radagast be cmpared to Binks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfrid I agree, but Radagast? He does not get too much attention and he is not annoying like J.J. Abr... Binks.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 25 2016, 12:15am

Post #56 of 91 (1881 views)
Shortcut
At least one famous Youtube reviewer... [In reply to] Can't Post

has compared Radagast to Jar Jar Binks. Or at least he says other people did. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGUk2tRKZY

Skip to 4:00 if you just want to hear the bit about Radagast.

Also here is the ''spoiler review''. I believe Radagast is mentioned/discussed again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzwDr_SdSg

You welcome. Cool

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Sep 25 2016, 12:24am)

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 25 2016, 12:49am

Post #57 of 91 (1860 views)
Shortcut
I can see the comparison to Jar Jar... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's Radagast is pretty silly.

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 25 2016, 1:00pm

Post #58 of 91 (1802 views)
Shortcut
I agree, BOTFA is the worst ME movie [In reply to] Can't Post

but only because the other 5 are so much better! I don't think many movies will be able to top AUJ, DOS and the LOTR trilogy movies.

BOTFA had bad CGI in places, horrific directorial choices, and unnecessary lowly Silvan elves.........
That said, I still really like the movie.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Sep 26 2016, 7:00pm

Post #59 of 91 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Radagast Far From a Jar Jar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Alfrid I agree, but Radagast? He does not get too much attention and he is not annoying like J.J. Abr... Binks.

Radagast may be divisive, in that some love him and others hate him, but he is far from being as radically polarizing as Jar Jar. Granted, the fanbases to polarize are greatly different in size, so there's just not as much of a public fuss about Radagast.

I, for one, absolutely LOVED the character of Radagast and how he was realized and portrayed by Sylvester McCoy. I would have loved far more of him in the films. Every time I saw Alfrid, I thought, "Can I trade an Alfrid scene for a Radagast scene?"

(This post was edited by jlj93byu on Sep 26 2016, 7:01pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 26 2016, 7:02pm

Post #60 of 91 (1727 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Radagast too, and wished he was also in the movies more!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Sep 26 2016, 7:04pm

Post #61 of 91 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Even Something Small [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love Radagast too, and wished he was also in the movies more!

Even just a few 5-10 second shots of him swinging his staff during the battle would have been fun.

What would have been great, but detrimental perhaps to the movie's pacing, would have been to see him and his efforts to enlist the help that he brought to the battle.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 26 2016, 7:11pm

Post #62 of 91 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that would of been cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I honestly wish that this movie would of been a little longer. I don't mind the length of the films and always like watching more character developments in the extended editions. I really liked the scene of Radagast giving Gandalf his staff in the extended edition, it was a nice scene and it should more of Radagast's knowledge and bravery.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

LSF
Gondor

Sep 26 2016, 7:15pm

Post #63 of 91 (1722 views)
Shortcut
deleted scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

Phillipa Boyens did mention a scene with Gwaihir the leader of the eagles. (I think she said she had expected it to be the EE). I can imagine it being Radagast convincing him to help.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 26 2016, 7:36pm

Post #64 of 91 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would of been cool.

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Sep 26 2016, 9:08pm

Post #65 of 91 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Longer Runtime [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I honestly wish that this movie would of been a little longer. I don't mind the length of the films and always like watching more character developments in the extended editions. I really liked the scene of Radagast giving Gandalf his staff in the extended edition, it was a nice scene and it should more of Radagast's knowledge and bravery.

Absolutely it could have been longer! It could have even been better with more character moments, but alas, the time crunch precluded it. I wish the EE was the theatrical and we had an EE with an additional 25 minutes on top of that.

In Reply To
Phillipa Boyens did mention a scene with Gwaihir the leader of the eagles. (I think she said she had expected it to be the EE). I can imagine it being Radagast convincing him to help.

That would have been awesome. Too bad there aren't any remnants of that scene in the special features, but it may not have even been filmed.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 27 2016, 12:09am

Post #66 of 91 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The EE should of the been the theatrical! I was expecting something much longer like the ROTK's EE. Oh well!

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 30 2016, 12:28am

Post #67 of 91 (1577 views)
Shortcut
The eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very possible that more of the Eagles was filmed/planned when The Hobbit was still two films. I've also wondered how they would have handled the AUJ/DOS transition originally...surely the company couldn't have climbed down the Carrock themselves!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2016, 12:43am

Post #68 of 91 (1572 views)
Shortcut
Cliffhanger [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've also wondered how they would have handled the AUJ/DOS transition originally...surely the company couldn't have climbed down the Carrock themselves!

In the two-film structure An Unexpected Journey would have ended after the company's escape from the Woodland Realm. The last thing we would have seen before the credits would have been Bard threatening the company with his bow.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 30 2016, 1:01am

Post #69 of 91 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Yes but that's not what I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Bard was going to be the cliffhanger between the two original Hobbit films. What I was wondering is how they would have handled the AUJ/DOS transition...after the company is rescued by the eagles and dropped on the Carrock, they have a kiss and make up scene with Thorin and Bilbo before we fly into Smaug's lair for a tease ending. Then DOS picks up with the company somehow off the Carrock and being pursued by Azog again. I doubt this is how things would have worked out in the original two-film split. I'm guessing the eagles played a more prominent role, and possibly Beorn as well?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2016, 1:13am

Post #70 of 91 (1561 views)
Shortcut
The Eagles! The Eagles! [In reply to] Can't Post

Assuming that PJ was not going to have the Eagles speak, I don't see that there would likely to have been a scene at the Eagles' Eyrie. And the Eagles of the book dropped the company off at the top of the Carrock just as they did in the film, so I don't think the movie would have done anything different there if the two-film structure had been maintained.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 30 2016, 11:16am

Post #71 of 91 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Why couldn't they have climbed down the Carrock? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are steps!

(According to the Chronicles book Beorn made them, which seems reasonable since we know he climbs it.)

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2016, 1:21pm

Post #72 of 91 (1520 views)
Shortcut
That, too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are steps!

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 3 2016, 10:47am

Post #73 of 91 (1350 views)
Shortcut
I aggre with you but focus on something... [In reply to] Can't Post

When you refer to emotional scenes the only characters that appear in them are Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, the Dwarves.. the problem with the film is that it spent too little time focusing on the above characters.. Jackson chose filler fight scenes( e.g Bolg VS Legolas) and invented characters(Tauriel love story, ALFRID) instead of caring more about the characters that I (and many others)personally loved from the book and the two previous film, first and foremost of them being Bilbo..

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2016, 12:28pm

Post #74 of 91 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you on this... [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the huge beasts that are to be seen all around, i found the size of the pig not enough at all - to the extent that one wonders how that poor pig can simply bear the sheer weight of Dain, still augmented by his armor... Looking ridiculous, to my eyes.
Shocked

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2016, 12:33pm

Post #75 of 91 (1222 views)
Shortcut
You spoke for me too, thank you.// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.