Welcome to an 'almost Fall' Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 23 2016, 4:09pm

Post #1 of 81 (1327 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to an 'almost Fall' Fiesta! Can't Post

Gosh! Where did the summer go? All the trees are past threatening to turn color and are going into their full Fall glory. U.S. Football is well underway. So, I guess it really *is* fall.

What are your plans for this first weekend of 'official' Autumn? Sunday, B.G.'s sister, her husband and their 7 year-old son arrive from New Zealand and We're taking most of the following 10 days off for a much awaited and much deserved vacation! Woohooo! Laugh Pull up a comfy chair, or hang out by the pool (it may officially Fall, but temperatures are still pool-temperatures), enjoy the refreshments, and let us know all of your news!

*kicks juke box* The Boys of Summer by Don Henley fills the room

Happy weekend, everyone!! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 81 (1221 views)
Shortcut
A vacation! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the time of year to do it! Where all are you planning to take them?

As usual, I'll be at my Dad's this weekend - mostly visiting with him in the ICU. He's getting over mild bouts of pneumonia, heart attack, and kidney failure, the emphasis on "mild", and the staff are saying for a man of 94 years he's doing remarkably well. They expect to send him to rehab this week - to the place that's associated with his assisted living facility, so he's familiar with it.

Whew. Strong coffee for me, please, and a shot of Bailey's would be nice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 81 (1213 views)
Shortcut
I'm off in the opposite direction! [In reply to] Can't Post

I leave on Saturday for a week in New Zealand. Now that United and American fly direct from Los Angeles, airfares are MUCH cheaper and I took advantage. I'm staying with the Telcontars for a week (it's Spring Break for the kids) and a girl's weekend in Wellington with Roheyrn and Ataahua.

Can't wait! We've had a very hot and humid summer so I'm glad to have cooler weather. I haven't worn socks (except for the gym) since June, and it will be the first time in months I've put on jeans. I had to remind myself to pull out a jacket and pack it.

Today I'm running final errands and leave Saturday afternoon, arriving Monday afternoon NZ time.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll take a Scotch, neat, please. Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2016, 5:03pm

Post #4 of 81 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

That vacation sounds awesome! :)

I'll take an almost-Fall-Usual ;) , please; thanks, and I hope you have a really great time! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 5:05pm

Post #5 of 81 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Have a wonderful trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Safe travels, give our love to everyone, and we'll be expecting a FULL report (with pics)! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 23 2016, 5:06pm

Post #6 of 81 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Oh gosh [In reply to] Can't Post

Your dad is an amazing man! I'm sorry to hear he's having health issues again. But for 94, like they said, it sounds like he's pushing through them.

We'll be doing touristy stuff around Denver and Boulder, and spending a few nights at a cabin up in Estes Park. They're very keen to try food they never, or rarely, get such as Mexican food, 'American' hot dogs, etc., so we'll be eating well too, lol.

Well wishes to your dad! SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 5:06pm

Post #7 of 81 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Hey Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost? It IS Fall, the equinox was yesterday! Shocked

We're starting to see some glorious reds in the trees around here. How about in your area?

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 23 2016, 5:09pm

Post #8 of 81 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a fantastic trip (I know you will), and give hugs to all the Telcontars and to Ataahua for me. Heart

*pours a double Glengoyne* I discovered this when B.G. was researching a future trip to Scotland. It sounded so good we ordered some and now it's my new favorite.

Enjoy!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 5:10pm

Post #9 of 81 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Estes Park is lovely - I visited there once back when I was a teen.

It's too bad they can't come East for lobster clambake! Laugh

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 23 2016, 5:11pm

Post #10 of 81 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Evey [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's starting to sink in mentally that I'll have a minuscule amount of work for two weeks (basically just finishing up a few things I'm waiting on from my last visit to one of my clients). It feels great already!

*carefully pours hot chocolate over a double dolllop of miruvor*

Have a wonderful weekend! Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2016, 5:13pm

Post #11 of 81 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah; totally forgot about that, LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

It usually doesn't 'feel' like Fall (or any other season, for that matter :P ) right when it's 'supposed' to here, LOL, so I never count the equinoxes... thanks for the reminder, though! :D

As for the trees, not really much turning yet (just *one* random tree did so far, LOL, not sure why Laugh ), but sometime within the next few weeks they should all start getting pretty colorful. :)

Hope you have a great weekend, dernwyn! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2016, 5:18pm

Post #12 of 81 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 6:47pm

Post #13 of 81 (1204 views)
Shortcut
I am somewhat lessened, of late. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an impacted wisdom tooth taken out on Wednesday. Bless my dentist: he's fast and he's good, but not even he can prevent the skin-crawling sound effects of a tooth being leveraged out of a tight corner.

Our official first day of spring has come with showers, but I'm still going to get into the garden this morning as the chickweed is threatening to start climbing up the outside of the house. So I'll have something warm and energising, barkeep!

Cheers, all.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 6:50pm

Post #14 of 81 (1190 views)
Shortcut
*exciting* [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get a good bout of weather while you're down here. I'm looking forward to next weekend!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 23 2016, 6:52pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 6:53pm

Post #15 of 81 (1192 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to hear you're finally taking some time off. [In reply to] Can't Post

You certainly deserve it!

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2016, 6:55pm

Post #16 of 81 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Best wishes to your dad, dernwyn. [In reply to] Can't Post

Be sure to look after yourself as well, OK? It can be easy to overlook your own energy and stress levels when you're focused on the care of a loved one.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2016, 10:26pm

Post #17 of 81 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Finally home for a few days! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was off to Baltimore for the past nearly 3 weeks, but all is well now and I'm home! Such a wonderful home :) My kitties missed me... so did the lawnmower. Mercy, beasts have moved into the tall grass! It was 90+ degrees out when I left, and it was 70 degrees today! Gotta love Michigan!

I hope you have a FABULOUS visit with your NZ family, Altaira! :D What a great time of the year for them to visit!

Cheers one and all... and have a wonderful weekend!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2016, 10:29pm

Post #18 of 81 (1171 views)
Shortcut
*warm hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow... dernwyn! I'm so glad he's recovering, but what a scare! I'm glad he was in his new apartment/living arrangement so he had help right there and (hopefully) moved quickly when he was stricken! My thoughts and prayers are with your Dad, you and your family. Hang in there and take care of yourself, too!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2016, 10:32pm

Post #19 of 81 (1172 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh Wow! I hope you have a FANTASTIC trip and a WONDERFUL time!!! Those great sales on flights are definitely the best time to have an adventure :D I'm so envious! Take care... and say HOWDY to everyone for me!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 23 2016, 10:36pm

Post #20 of 81 (1173 views)
Shortcut
OW! Ow-ow-ow... *cringe* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh My Dear! I'm SO SORRY! So you're pulling weeds like he pulled your tooth? I'm sure there's no parallel ;)

Ow... I'm still cringing for you! *big hug* I hope your weekend is pain-free!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 23 2016, 11:45pm

Post #21 of 81 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Did I see you use the word 'vacation' ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds wonderful! Hope you have a fantastic 10 days off...as 'off' as you'll allow yourself to be, I suppose. Tongue

No plans of substance for the weekend aside from a backyard party tomorrow afternoon with some friends from school. Hoping to reach Rivendell in my read through of FOTR over a few lazy hours.

Inching closer with some hopeful job leads, but nothing as of yet. More optimistic right now, thankfully!

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 23 2016, 11:51pm

Post #22 of 81 (1170 views)
Shortcut
This is a Family Friendly site ! [In reply to] Can't Post

and you, a Moderator at that, have the gall to mention the dreaded word “dentist”.

Hope you’re feeling well. Heart
I’ve spent more hours in the ‘horror chair’ than I care to recall.

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2016, 12:07am

Post #23 of 81 (1162 views)
Shortcut
how about letting your kitties [In reply to] Can't Post

go hunting in the tall grass before you mow it?

Welcome home and cheers to you!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2016, 12:24am

Post #24 of 81 (1158 views)
Shortcut
egad! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure Hope all you with health issues can find your way past to better health!

I spent most of the year being sick, then ending up in June with the most amazing case of Crohn's disease they'd ever seen (basically your guts self destruct)).

After living on prednisone for months and finally getting onto a gut maintaining drug, I no longer feel like a limp dishrag, yeay! I can even heave the darn kayak onto the van roof though it only got wet twice.

Last night my left ear screamed at me (after a couple days feeling bleah) and a visit to the doc netted me a diagnosis of ear infection caused by allergies (it hasn't rained in PA since, uh, yeah). Called a friend to find she's stepped on a large and interesting bit of rusty metal (she was basically raised by wolves... Siberian huskies... and goes barefoot always) which sent her to the ER.

Kudos to those of you who live in civilized places that have universal health care, we're jealous.

And my horse went lame last week... that's improved.

And the second cutting of hay is... bleah. Where once my neighbor got a dozen round bales (those big tractor sized things) out of our field, he got like 20 little square bales (the usual kind you can lift) on the second cutting. It was that dry all summer.

Other than that, it's all good here.

Tongue

Meanwhile, it's still hot, dry, and the leaves are only thinking about changing, summer's getting a bit orange around the edges.

I personally love summer and hate to see it go, especially since mine was spent recovering. I just want to go sit on a beach for a week.

Of course the ideal thing would be a month in NZ exploring Middle Earth, kayaking clear water, and hanging out with the Maoris.

Budget will limit me to a day trip to somewhere in the Chesapeake Bay.

Ugh.

I'll take another one of those things I got on a birthday once: a Flying Dog Pearl Necklace (a beer of dense darkness with a hint of oyster)...
Crazy

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2016, 1:11am

Post #25 of 81 (1151 views)
Shortcut
I've been there [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad had a stroke in 2004 and my sister and I shared weekends with her to visit him for 19 months.

So glad to hear your dad is doing well - you will treasure this time with him. Here's to Dad and lots of more great years with all of you!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.