The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Posting Help!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 22 2016, 3:53am

Post #1 of 7 (3407 views)
Shortcut
Posting Help! Can't Post

I always get this (below) or "Bad Request" every time I post anything for the past week. Usually I can refresh, and write it all again (or copy and paste) and it will go a second time. But now yesterday and today it takes 5 or 6 times or more! I've been trying to edit a post in Off Topic, and it just took me about 8 tries before it would let me submit an edit (3 tries to post it at first)

Could someone advise on the problem? It does this in Chrome and Firefox both, and I think maybe in Safari too. Thanks in advance!
Method Not Implemented
----------13974748053304003961794228077 to /torwp/wp-content/cache/supercache/www.theonering.net/torwp//index.html not supported.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at www.theonering.net Port 80

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22 2016, 4:54am

Post #2 of 7 (3380 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen that before. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully Inferno (or someone else tech-inclined) will be along to give you some advice.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 22 2016, 1:35pm

Post #3 of 7 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Merci! Must be a Balrog. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's weird you haven't seen it before. At least I am unique.ShockedCrazy

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 22 2016, 7:07pm

Post #4 of 7 (3349 views)
Shortcut
This is one for Corvar [In reply to] Can't Post

The Method Not Implemented (501 HTTP code) is a message that apache (the web server software that fronts tOR.N) thinks you're trying to upload something that isn't considered a valid file format in the software. Since (I assume) you aren't doing anything but typing forum posts, it's a glitch in apache that he'd need to look at.

Inferno

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 22 2016, 7:30pm

Post #5 of 7 (3345 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that is weird! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, all I'm doing is writing words, and once in awhile including a link or a picture. But it happens even with just a subject line only. However! Today it seems better--just hangs a bit. Maybe someone else noticed something and fixed it?

If it helps, I have a Mac (old). Nothing else unusual.

I hope Corvar will have a chance to look into it, in case it starts happening again.

Thank you!

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 22 2016, 9:24pm

Post #6 of 7 (3336 views)
Shortcut
I pinged Corvar [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it's not happening to any one else (we always knew you were special Wink), he's pretty sure it must be something on your end that's causing the server to return that error message to you. A good way to test it would be to try to recreate what you're doing on another computer, either one in your household, at work, at a friends, etc. If you can't recreated the error message, that will pinpoint the problem as being with your computer, browser(s), etc. and you might be able to narrow it down more from there.

If it starts happening to more users, he'll do some more detective work.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 22 2016, 11:10pm

Post #7 of 7 (3327 views)
Shortcut
Yes, well of course I had to [In reply to] Can't Post

do something to highlight my special-ness.Wink Anyway, that sure is odd. I haven't changed anything on my computer except to delete some files on Safari. Which I don't use to post on TORn hardly ever.

Anyway, it seems to be O.K. all on it's own now, but I have no idea why. I clear my browser caches regularly (twice since this started) with no effect either way, so I'll just quote "The King and I" and just say " 'Tis a puzzlement!"

Tell Corvar thanks for looking into it, and thanks to you to!Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.