Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If you're reading this Mr. Del Toro...... (Regarding casting decisions)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 9:17am

Post #1 of 51 (955 views)
Shortcut
If you're reading this Mr. Del Toro...... (Regarding casting decisions) Can't Post

PLEASE cast James Cosmo as Thorin....he'd be perfect in every way. If ever a guy was born to play a role it was him.

And no I'm not his agent before anyone asks!Wink

Also this might be a good thread to put in any other casting decisions you think would work. I don't want to put loads as to be honest Cosmo is the only one I feel absolutely certain about. But Julian Sands as Thranduil has always worked for me....

KateTheHobbit
Bree

Apr 25 2008, 5:16pm

Post #2 of 51 (357 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm... hadn't thought of that, but it sounds good to me! I've only seen him in a few things (The Chronicles of Narnia is actually the only one I can think of straight off), but I think that just might work! Cool

I've been thinking about possible Dwarves, and I've got myself a little list. I think these guys could each make wonderful Dwarves.
Brendan Gleeson
Ray Winstone
Oliver Platt (IF and only IF he can pull off a half-believable accent)
Timothy Spall (maybe; kinda pushing it perhaps, but he's one of my favorite actors and I think he could probably pull it off, given the proper make-up)
Alfred Molina.
I think I'd had more in mind, but I've forgotten some of them. Laugh

Also, for the voice of Smaug, has anyone here seen Michael Wincott in The Three Musketeers? He's got a very eerie, creepy voice in that. BUT, that's the only thing I've seen him in, so I don't know if perhaps his voice was altered for that, or if he maybe doesn't sound that way anymore.

(This post was edited by KateTheHobbit on Apr 25 2008, 5:18pm)

Foe
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 7:46pm

Post #3 of 51 (294 views)
Shortcut
I've always liked his voice [In reply to] Can't Post

and that is his normal voice. He's also been in the Crow, Dead Man, and the Count of Monte Cristo. He'd be interesting that's for sure.

After seeing Deadwood, I think Ian McShane would be good too! :)

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

LightOfEarendil

Apr 25 2008, 7:49pm

Post #4 of 51 (309 views)
Shortcut
Only one wish...or maybe a few [In reply to] Can't Post

Save for Bilbo who obviously needs to be played by a much younger actor than Sir Ian Holm, I truly wish that each and every LOTR actor who will have even just a minor part in the Hobbit movies could return to their old role. Particularly all members of the Fellowship but not only them...

Sir Ian McKellen for Gandalf
Viggo Mortensen for Aragorn if he appears in either film
Elijah Wood for Frodo if he appears in either film -- and even if Frodo doesn't appear in the films, I don't care how you do it, just please cast Elijah! Wink
Sean Astin for Sam if he appears in either film
Billy Boyd for Pippin if he appears in either film
Dominic Monaghan for Merry if he appears in either film
Orlando Bloom for Legolas if he appears in either film
John Rhys-Davies for Gimli if he appears in either film
Sean Bean for Boromir if he appears in either film

Then, should they appear in the films, we also need Liv Tyler for Arwen, Christopher Lee for Saruman (if he's up for it), Hugo Weaving for Elrond and Cate Blanchett for Galadriel.

Oh, and Andy Serkis for Gollum. Wink

And did I already mention that Elijah Wood should have a role too? Wink If not as Frodo, any role would do... And I guess the same goes for the rest of the four lovely hobbitses.

~ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us ~

KateTheHobbit
Bree

Apr 25 2008, 7:57pm

Post #5 of 51 (288 views)
Shortcut
'nother Dwarf [In reply to] Can't Post

Another actor that'd possibly make a great Dwarf is Kevin McNally. He played Gibbs in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. And I also agree that Ian McShane has Dwarvish-type looks.

It'd be nice if John Rhys-Davies would come back to play a Dwarf. But I believe he's already stated that he doesn't want to do that, on account of how badly he reacted to the prosthetics. I totally respect that decision, though it'd be great to see him again.

In regards to the cast returning for the mysterious second film.... that'd be great!!!! I'd love to see Sean Astin reprising the role of Sam! (yeah, I'm sure you all know by now that Sam's my favorite character. lol) It'd be great to see everyone back again.Smile

Nazgurl

Apr 25 2008, 9:53pm

Post #6 of 51 (263 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

The character I'm most interested in hearing the casting about is who will voice Smaug.

Oden
Rivendell

Apr 25 2008, 10:01pm

Post #7 of 51 (262 views)
Shortcut
For a dwarf... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still would like to see Brian Blessed. His look and voice would be great!

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 10:04pm

Post #8 of 51 (263 views)
Shortcut
Michael Wincott [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Michael Wincott's a really underrated actor, with a great voice. He would do very well as Smaug, but I've always envisaged him having an well-spoken British accent. Ian McShane I'm sure would be excellent in this respect.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 10:46pm

Post #9 of 51 (252 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should mention Timothy Spall [In reply to] Can't Post

Way back in the First Age of TORN, when all the casting was still very much up in the air, rumor had it that Spall had been cast as Gimli.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 11:08pm

Post #10 of 51 (236 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from Cosmo playing Thorin, I think Brendan Gleeson and Brian Cox would make excellent Dwarves.

KateTheHobbit
Bree

Apr 25 2008, 11:37pm

Post #11 of 51 (232 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Way back in the First Age of TORN, when all the casting was still very much up in the air, rumor had it that Spall had been cast as Gimli.

LOL, I know! I'd found an old article about that once. It was thinking back on that that gave me the idea to list him for a Dwarf!Laugh

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 26 2008, 12:31am

Post #12 of 51 (254 views)
Shortcut
Original actors for the White Council [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, I would love to see:

*Hugo Weaving as Elrond

*Christopher Lee as Saruman (Has already publicly expressed interest in returning)

*Cate Blanchett as Galadriel (Has already publicly expressed interest in returning)

And if at all possible, Ian Holm as Bilbo.

Am I sounding like a broken record yet? Wink

~~~~~~
Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.
'Take this ring, master,' he said, 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

meltsar
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 12:42am

Post #13 of 51 (250 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please please please get Ian Holm to play Bilbo again! I can't imagine anyone else playing that role at this point! And besides, in spite of what some others are saying (that Bilbo should look younger?!), Bilbo should look the same as he did at the beginning of 'Fellowship'!! He stopped aging when he started using the Ring!! I quote Gandalf: "Bilbo... you haven't aged a day..."

Otherwise, judging from past films, I know that Guillermo and Peter will cast this perfectly without our help!!

Still, I can't help wondering where Ron Perlman might pop up... Thorin? Beorn? Smaug...?

Thanks, Guillermo and Peter ~ I'm really looking forward to this!

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 26 2008, 12:58am

Post #14 of 51 (248 views)
Shortcut
I'm also skeptical of Ron Perlman.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ron Perlman is a great actor, I've enjoyed many of his roles, and he was perfect for Hellboy. However, he has almost become, for lack of a better term, cliché, in fantasy/sci-fi films. I don't want to see him in The Hobbit. Aside from the original cast from Lord of the Rings, I think they should stick to using unknown or lesser-known actors.

~~~~~~
Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.
'Take this ring, master,' he said, 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

Elrond Lover
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 1:17am

Post #15 of 51 (239 views)
Shortcut
Cast request for the Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hugo Weaving as Elrond, Please!
Evil

meltsar
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 1:17am

Post #16 of 51 (240 views)
Shortcut
lesser-knowns [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I gave the wrong impression in my post... I'm looking forward to possibly seeing Ron Perlman in a role (he has an interesting history with Guillermo)! Tastefully done, of course (as I know it would be!). I agree with you, though, that lesser known actors are better, in general. That was one of the strong points of the Trilogy: really good, lesser known actors. Recognizable faces can really be a distraction, and pulls your attention out of being immersed in the story!

By the way: Ian Holm as Bilbo!!!!

KateTheHobbit
Bree

Apr 26 2008, 1:37am

Post #17 of 51 (233 views)
Shortcut
'nother Dwarf, and Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought of another Dwarf! Stellan Skarsgård, as he appeared in King Arthur. Judging by his general appearance, I wouldn't see it, but he did look rather Dwarvish in King Arthur.

And I am of the camp that thinks Ian Holm MUST return as Bilbo. I know it might be a bit of a stretch.... but it just wouldn't seem *right* if they had someone else. He was used in the prologue on FotR, and he looked perfect for Bilbo then. Surely they can work that out for The Hobbit, with make-up and whatnot to make him look younger.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 26 2008, 1:54am

Post #18 of 51 (229 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was my subject line. I used the word "also" because I mentioned somewhere that I was skeptical of something, so I said "I'm also skeptical of Ron Perlman". I did not intend to imply that you were skeptical, too.

Sorry for the confusion. We're all just so excited, we can't help ourselves! I've noticed typos from people who don't normally make typos, myself included! Blush

~~~~~~

Voorhas
Lorien

Apr 26 2008, 2:55am

Post #19 of 51 (232 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to be a drag, but the guy's nearly 80...his appearance aside, would he have the stamina for this kind of a shoot (and the physical requirements of the leading role)? Of course, I'd like to see him involved in some capacity...but whoever plays Bilbo will have to spend a lot of time crawling over rocks and climbing up trees. Demanding stuff.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

(This post was edited by Voorhas on Apr 26 2008, 2:56am)

FutureDirector

Apr 26 2008, 3:09am

Post #20 of 51 (240 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo cont'd [In reply to] Can't Post

True, a lot of people seem to agree with this. While the hobbit would not be the same without Ian as Bilbo, the trilogy was filmed almost 10 years ago. It would be very hard stunt wise.

I personally don't count the "Prologue" as canon since it is in a way, someone telling a story, and it can be representive of how the person sees the character. A kind of "Sugarcoated" version of the real story.

I know a few have suggested Martin Freeman as the new bilbo, and I fully support this idea. He seems like a hobbit perfectly, and though he does a lot of comedic roles, he could be serious as times. This is a very difficult casting call, because in the end, no one will be happy even if Ian is recasted (maybe have a cameo similar to the beginning of fellowship when writing the book.)

As for the dwarves... I really have no idea, along with Smaug. Probably the best overall bet is to find unknowns (1-2 movies) like lotr, that way they feel more like the character than "Oh, I know that guy!"

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2008, 3:14am

Post #21 of 51 (230 views)
Shortcut
Would it be ridiculous to post an old link? [In reply to] Can't Post

My casting 2 cents is here . . .

Hope that is okay to post.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Aerin
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2008, 3:47am

Post #22 of 51 (248 views)
Shortcut
I seem to be in the (tiny) minority, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't see Ian Holm as Bilbo -- sorry. He IS supposed to look much younger in The Hobbit. The ring does not stop his aging, but slows it, and when Gandalf says Bilbo hasn't changed a day, he means since his last visit to the Shire, not since Bilbo found the ring. (After all, even for his brief appearance in the FOTR Prologue, efforts were made to make Ian Holm look younger -- brown wig and a tape "facelift.") If he were to play Bilbo in The Hobbit, I simply would not be able to suspend disbelief enough to buy that this story happened many years before LOTR.

I know everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I'd love to see Elijah Wood as Bilbo. He'd have to be made up to look a bit older, but I always thought there was a "family resemblance" with Bilbo in the movie, and it seems right to me that he play the younger Bilbo.

Otherwise, I'd like to see all the LOTR cast members reprise their roles.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 4:32am

Post #23 of 51 (240 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about Holm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Several people on TORN (dating back at least to Morwen here) have suggested that Holm as Bilbo could function as narrator of The Hobbit from his retirement in Rivendell. It might work.

Otherwise, though, Holm is at least too old for the Bilbo portrayed in the book, where Bilbo is 50 years old and arguably should look like a (diminutive) human being of that age. Curiously, it can be argued that in The Lord of the Rings, Bilbo should look younger than he does in The Hobbit. This is because in The Hobbit, there's no indication that 50 is the midpoint of normal hobbit lifespans -- that's a point that Tolkien introduces in the prologue to LotR. So in the beginning of LotR, Bilbo, unaged for 61 years since his acquisition of the Ring at age 50, should look like a 35-year-old human being. I don't think he should look much older when seen at Rivendell halfway through The Fellowship of the Ring: he seems as alert as ever (stays up late, gets up early) and there's no mention of aging. Like Gollum, he probably aged only slowly after losing possession of the Ring, while it survived. However, he ages remarkably after its destruction. (Gollum, had he not fallen with the Ring, would probably have aged to a quick death when it fell into the fire.)

Not being a fan of Wood's performance, I disagree with you there.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Apr. 21-27 for "The Uruk-hai".

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 26 2008, 5:21am

Post #24 of 51 (208 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd agree on Frodo, but I agree completely as far as Bilbo is concerned. Ian Holm was a great Bilbo, but every time I see the flashback to the cave when he found the Ring, I think he looks much too old. As Ian Holm has aged another ten years in the meantime, it would simply not work. And I doubt Ian would be up to the exertion of the role. (With Christopher Lee it is different - he'd probably be used mainly for the White Council, and that means sitting around and talking, that's not so strenuous)

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 26 2008, 5:41am

Post #25 of 51 (309 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for linking to that! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was good to have a re-read of your speculations.

I believe this was the discussion thread that has made Altaira's list of the 10 most-visited threads on TORN? http://newboards.theonering.net/...cgi?post=91965#91965

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.