Fili, Kili and Thorin's Deaths
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 26 2016, 7:12pm

Post #76 of 98 (2170 views)
Shortcut
It's a fair point... [In reply to] Can't Post

The business about Beorn only arose for me because there's a sketch in one of the Chronicles books of Beorn carrying Thorin, so it seems that was an idea they they had toyed with and I was curious about how it would have played out. And I like the sketch.

But I think the emotional note they struck with Thorin's death, then the dwarves mourning and Bilbo with Gandalf was pitched beautifully for the film.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

LSF
Gondor

Sep 26 2016, 7:21pm

Post #77 of 98 (2167 views)
Shortcut
It made it to script [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Appendices, when talking about the Bilbo and Gandalf scene, they show the script page of cut dialogue, and it says they watch Beorn carry Thorin away while they talk.

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 26 2016, 8:32pm

Post #78 of 98 (2159 views)
Shortcut
Originally [In reply to] Can't Post

that final Bilbo-Thorin conversation was going to happen in Dale. That's what I've read.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 26 2016, 8:43pm

Post #79 of 98 (2155 views)
Shortcut
I suppose so... [In reply to] Can't Post

But in my opinion it would have been better with a bit less of Azog....

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 26 2016, 9:04pm

Post #80 of 98 (2152 views)
Shortcut
Well here's something to consider [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I honestly can say in the ~20 times I've watched the ROTK, the background battle scenes have never distracted me from the Eowyn - Witch-King duel . If the Thorin-Azog fight was exciting enough we wouldn't be distracted, it wouldn't be crowded and chaotic, even if it did happen in the middle of the battlefield.

I get that you don't like the ice-fight scene, but I totally LOVED it - largely because it was unique. I'd never seen anything like that before. Now, you are right, the Eowyn v WitchKing scene is also fantastic, BUT if PJ had done Thorin v Azog exactly like that, well, I imagine a lot of people would accuse him of repeating himself. Really, I think the Hobbit movies had a bit of trouble with that, anyway, though not enough to put ME off of them. So anyway, this is just a guess on my part, but I think PJ was TRYING to do something different here. Obviously his decision has rubbed a lot of the book fans the wrong way, but IMO the "Last Stand of the Durins" wasn't really described, which IMO gives PJ license to get creative. And as I said earlier, I thought the deaths worked really well for the most part.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 26 2016, 9:47pm

Post #81 of 98 (2138 views)
Shortcut
I think the snow and ice was a superb design choice.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..because it created such unusual images. The ice fight itself, but also the streets of Dale - such a sharp contrast to the colour and warmth of Dale as a living city. Overall the way snow always seems to leech the colour our of everything, which worked with the mood of the film.

Then there are some really arresting moments - like the distant image of Thorin standing alone looking over the frozen river, and another - which is one of my absolute favourite frames in the whole six films - of Thranduil standing in the streets of Dale with dead elves all round him, the statue of a deer, and behind him the elf about to blow the horn to call the survivors. The snow and ice really contribute to the effectiveness of those scenes.

that I have never seen:

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 26 2016, 9:57pm

Post #82 of 98 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Mist, grey clouds, ice, snow [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this aspect of the third film. "The winter is upon us", says Bard. Is like saying "the death is upon us" or "the war is upon us".

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 7:01am

Post #83 of 98 (2107 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That's probably why PJ changed it.
Even though I have some niggles with Thorin's death, Tauriel and a few other stuff, I really love the Hobbit movies..

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

DainPig
Gondor

Oct 2 2016, 3:06pm

Post #84 of 98 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

After Fili fall, Thorin make a disgusting sound like "blargh". I absolutely hate this sound, almost ruin the scene for me. It would have been more dramastic to hear "no!".

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

wizzardly
Rohan

Oct 2 2016, 3:55pm

Post #85 of 98 (1981 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like he was probably supposed to say "No" and forgot his line and improvised with a grunt instead. Also, Fili's death stare looks like he's trying not to laugh.

(This post was edited by wizzardly on Oct 2 2016, 3:57pm)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 2 2016, 7:54pm

Post #86 of 98 (1949 views)
Shortcut
Can't remember this [In reply to] Can't Post

I really need to watch BOFA again, I've only really watched LOTR lately

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Oct 3 2016, 3:32am

Post #87 of 98 (1916 views)
Shortcut
As usual, nothing note-worthy to nit-pick about this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It looks like he was probably supposed to say "No" and forgot his line and improvised with a grunt instead.

I don't think PJ or any competent director would let that happen.

[replyAlso, Fili's death stare looks like he's trying not to laugh.

I don't agree. It looks like a regular death stare to me.

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Oct 3 2016, 3:33am)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Oct 3 2016, 5:33am

Post #88 of 98 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Bad formatted post... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also, Fili's death stare looks like he's trying not to laugh.

I don't agree. It looks like a regular death stare to me.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 8:22am

Post #89 of 98 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Why on earth would you be disgusted by that? [In reply to] Can't Post

The sound Thorin makes is just a shocked intake of breath. In the circumstances it's a far more real reaction to the horror in front of him than articulating any word - even "No!"

(I don't know how you get 'blargh' out of it, or anything like, since that would involve closing the lips to make the initial sound, then the tongue pushing forward and his mouth doesn't move in that way at all.)

that I have never seen:

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 4 2016, 1:47am

Post #90 of 98 (1857 views)
Shortcut
Anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 4 2016, 10:38pm

Post #91 of 98 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Dissecting air is popular around here [In reply to] Can't Post

Just is.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 5 2016, 4:56pm

Post #92 of 98 (1750 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If someone close to you was killed in front of you, would you carefully sit down and consider the most mellifluous and aesthetically pleasing sound to make, before standing back up and commencing to utter the noise?

wizzardly
Rohan

Oct 5 2016, 10:45pm

Post #93 of 98 (1687 views)
Shortcut
This might help... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rewatching the scene, I imagined he said, "bruh", and it was a little better.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 6 2016, 12:49am

Post #94 of 98 (1673 views)
Shortcut
I'm real sure he said that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

wizzardly
Rohan

Oct 7 2016, 6:03pm

Post #95 of 98 (1566 views)
Shortcut
I think PJ's Thorin might say "bruh". [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a way of showing concern for a fallen brother.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 9 2016, 12:39pm

Post #96 of 98 (1444 views)
Shortcut
I have no opinion, because I can barely remember anything about them// [In reply to] Can't Post

banaili
Bree

Nov 15 2016, 2:58pm

Post #97 of 98 (960 views)
Shortcut
I had to see the movie more than once to warm up to the way they were done. [In reply to] Can't Post

...But that being said, I think Peter Jackson handled it very well. Fili's really was a shocker, but somehow in the end it worked out. I don't think it could have been more tragic, knowing that he and his brother had bravely gone in together to scout, and knowing that Fili's death was coming when he sent his brother off and he chose the passage with the orc torches and drums coming his way. It was quite clear he knew that one would be more dangerous, which was why he protected Kili by going down it himself. I honestly felt like Dean O'Gorman got the shaft in quite a lot of respects with these films, but he did such a great job, and I felt SO sad for that character when his death came. The other thing about it is that it was true-to-life in that it was quick and brutal, with no time left to grieve. The music really adds to the terror of that scene. And then of course we can also feel Thorin's shame and horror at having to witness that.

Kili's death was a bit cliche only because it was with his love (who literally did nothing to prevent it - that's how they made it look, in a way), but something about it I just liked. I think the actors did an excellent job bringing it to life.

Thorin's death was done SO well, even if it's all so TRAGIC. I still love watching that fight scene though - so epic!

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 15 2016, 6:45pm

Post #98 of 98 (957 views)
Shortcut
On a rewatch [In reply to] Can't Post

I noted a disappointing lack of epic shivers - which I'm sure I'd have got had F&K died defending Thorin with shield and body. But anyway, the tears made up for it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.