Comparing An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 22 2016, 8:34am

Post #26 of 31 (908 views)
Shortcut
Seems to me the colouring of Beorn's house.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..is warmer, with the golds and browns of the woodwork; also the garden, the bright sky and mountains behind it, the lupins on the way there. To my eye those scenes are much more colourful - similar to AUJ and a contrast to what has just gone before - the blue night-time colours with which the film opens.

You can't just say 'No' to someone else's perception of things, as though you have some overall authority. There is a darkness to the conversations in Beorn's house and to Beorn himself - but you seem to be forgetting that the 'big guy telling us about a Necromancer' (we learned about the evil forest long before Beorn appears) is also serving his guests with large mugs of milk as they sit around his very comfortable table, and stroking his pet mouse as he speaks. Beorn's house proves to be a sanctuary for his guests and I still reckon the warmer, brighter colours reflect this.

They could have used the 'Misty Mountains' theme in DOS but they chose not to. I think the music they did use was more suitable for those scenes.

Do you mean would AUJ have got darker if it had ended with Bard on the river bank? Yes, I think it would, both in tone and in colour grading, because the story itself becomes darker as it progresses.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Noria
Gondor

Sep 22 2016, 1:54pm

Post #27 of 31 (881 views)
Shortcut
I agree with dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

To me Beorn’s house was an oasis of calm and beauty in an increasingly dangerous Wilderland. The house itself and its furnishings, the garden, the presence of the bees and animals made it a warm, safe feeling place despite Beorn’s sometimes violent nature. Once he had accepted the Dwarves as guests, he was a generous, if prickly, host.

The Misty Mountains theme is beautiful and used to good effect in AUJ. It could have been used in DOS and TBOTFA but for whatever reasons, copyright issues or artistic choice or both, it wasn’t. I don’t miss the MM theme in the two sequels. IMO its replacements, especially the Sons of Durin and Erebor themes are equally lovely and versatile.

When the Erebor theme plays softly as the Dwarves see the Mountain for the first time from Bard's boat, I get chills. The quiet and sad arrangement of the Durin theme that we hear when the Company sees their dead kindred in Erebor makes a sorrowful scene even more so. Both these themes and others are used to great effect as Thorin confronts the Master and then Bard in Laketown. Then, in TBOTFA, when the Sons of Durin rings out as the Dwarves charge out of Erebor to turn the tide of the battle, one of the most iconic moments of the story is made even grander. No, I don’t miss the MM theme, great as it is.

Noria
Gondor

Sep 22 2016, 2:09pm

Post #28 of 31 (881 views)
Shortcut
Thorin and Bilbo in Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

TheOnlyOneAroundHereWithAnySense, I completely agree that Bilbo's support of Thorin's word was a crucual moment that never, ever should have been excised from the DOS TE. The omission didn't really diminish the TE for me but it really strengthened both the DOS EE and TBOTFA itself.

I do fault PJ for excluding this scene and a few others like it rather than trimming some of the action scenes.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2016, 1:42pm

Post #29 of 31 (826 views)
Shortcut
One little thing about Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that it is the only Middle-Earth movie that starts of slowly. All of the others have started with a bang. I quite liked the beginning in an Inn. A slightly dodgy inn for some maybe, but most seemed happy with it. Especially that chap eating a carrot!

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Oct 8 2016, 8:17pm

Post #30 of 31 (640 views)
Shortcut
AUJ is more lighthearted. But largely stays true to the established feel of the Middle-Earth cinematic universe, unlike DOS. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was lighthearted and had some places in which it went too far, but in general, I prefer it over DOS for still feeling like something that could take place in the same universe the LOTR films took place in.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 8 2016, 10:11pm

Post #31 of 31 (627 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't disagree more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say that DoS moves closer to the Lord of the Rings films in mood and style.

But then, I can't see any greater gulf between the two film trilogies than there is between the two published stories. Less, if anything, since the difference in style between the books is quite marked. As for the films, though, seems self-evident to me that they're in the same world. Same artists and designers, same writers writing in the same style, same general character and approach, same style informing the lighting and camera angles, same composer for the music - even some of the same actors. And how could it not be the same universe when the actual landscapes we see are all in the same country?

Tonight, after watching the three Hobbit films I finished Battle of hte Five Armies and moved straight into Fellowship (for the first time) and it struck me how seamless the transition is.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.