The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Subtle connections between LOTR and the Silm

Gianna
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 9:23pm

Post #1 of 5 (958 views)
Shortcut
Subtle connections between LOTR and the Silm Can't Post

Lothlorien, to a certain degree, keeps enemies of Galadriel out of the forest. Recall how only the House of Finarfin were welcome in Doriath and Galadriel spent a lot of time with Melian? I'm guessing Lothlorien's defence is similar to the Girdle of Melian, and that Galadriel learned its art during her time in Doriath.

Furthermore, Morgoth couldn't get into Melian's mind, just as Sauron couldn't see into Galadriel's!

What other little connections have you noticed as you reread the books?

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 17 2016, 12:25pm

Post #2 of 5 (919 views)
Shortcut
Nenya [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought that Galadriel's ring, Nenya (one of the three Elven rings), kept enemies out, as part of its 'preserving' influence.

Interesting idea, though. It's been a few months since I've read the Silmarillion, so I can't remember that bit about the House of Finarfin, but I see where you are coming from.

One connection running a lot of Tolkien's works is courage. Courage to keep going as long as you have life left in your body to protect something, and to stand regardless of the enemy's strength. For example, Hurin's last stand at the battle of Unnumbered Tears, and Theoden's charge from the Hornburg. Even the Last March of the Ents has an element of unflinching courage.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen.

Gianna
Rohan

Sep 17 2016, 12:37pm

Post #3 of 5 (915 views)
Shortcut
That could be [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it's a mixture of both.

Hurin's last stand always thrills me - and he never gives up, not even when he's standing in chains before Morgoth himself. One of my favourite Tolkien characters. Smile To your list I would definitely add Frodo and Sam's journey to Mordor. Both of them handled it in different ways: Frodo continuing DESPITE knowing they would almost certainly not return, and Sam continuing IN HOPE that they might return. Both were incredibly courageous in their own way.

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

Ingwion
Lorien

Sep 17 2016, 12:48pm

Post #4 of 5 (914 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Two very different forms of courage. Frodo's courage is similar to Faramir's when he rides to take back Osgiliath, knowing he had no chance of victory, although Frodo's courage was probably the greater, as the Ring was probably making him feel as if he would have peace if he put it on.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Trond

Oct 6 2016, 4:34am

Post #5 of 5 (655 views)
Shortcut
Interesting that you mention that [In reply to] Can't Post

The Galadriel/Melian connection is one of the first things that come to mind. Thingol and Celeborn are also similar. It is a bit like the similarity between Arwen and Aragorn vs Luthien and Beren, which Tolkien of course pointed out in LOTR.

There is an interesting similarity between LOTR and The Book of Lost Tales, where there is a whispering spirit in the Land of Willows, which makes Tuor fall asleep. It certainly reminds of Old Man Willow.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.