Is "The Hobbit" Bilbo's story?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2016, 11:58pm

Post #76 of 82 (946 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Thorin's age. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote that I estimated that Thorin was perhaps 20 years younger in the films, but my actual estimate is closer to 30 years. I was thinking of my estimate of when Smaug comes to occupy the Lonely Mountain in the films, roughly 120 years before the Quest of Erebor instead of in 2770.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 12:00am

Post #77 of 82 (943 views)
Shortcut
I suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

I could understand Legolas being in a well placed cameo or two, but did he really need to be bouncing on dwarves during the barrel escape? I don't know, I still think he was there in case the women realised Thorin was four feet tall and abandoned ship.

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 16 2016, 12:08am

Post #78 of 82 (938 views)
Shortcut
Legolas was a fan service [In reply to] Can't Post

And, Good Lord, there are so many annoying fan services in this trilogy that I hate Mad

Plus Peter Jackson weird imagination...

I still think Peter is a ... a bad director. Maybe not terrible, he is just not good. He always extrapolate things, make it bigger, longer! Another director would have directed the films in a better way.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 12:15am

Post #79 of 82 (933 views)
Shortcut
PJ and his fan service... [In reply to] Can't Post

too bad he doesn't give a hoot about Tolkien fans though.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2016, 12:49am

Post #80 of 82 (927 views)
Shortcut
Oversized image removed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, that's a great image of Thorin but the pic is too large. You're welcome to resize the image as per our FAQs (details below) and repost it within this thread, if you wish.

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Sep 16 2016, 1:31am

Post #81 of 82 (917 views)
Shortcut
At the very least, he could be mentioned. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 16 2016, 2:35am

Post #82 of 82 (903 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Legolas was added because

1) He is a cool badass

2) He is the son of Thranduil, so it completely make sense to have him in the story

Agreed. Including Legolas was logical, but he might possibly have been used better.

In Reply To
I've heard that there were some rumors before the release of Auj that Aragorn would appear in the story somehow. In my opinion, just nah. Although Legolas role suck,it makes sense to have him in Mirkwood. But Aragorn?

Given PJ's alterations to the timeline of the films, Aragorn could have appeared as a young man as he would have been the right age to have been wandering in Wilderland. We could potentially have been witness to his first encounter (as an adult?) with Gandalf the Grey. But the part would have needed to be recast and there is no good in-story reason for inserting a young Ranger into the Battle of Five Armies or even earlier in the narrative.

Now if we were using JRRT's original chronology, I would have loved to see Bilbo meet a young boy called Estel during the company's stay in Rivendell.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.