The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Sam in Cirith Ungol

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 4:36pm

Post #1 of 6 (1573 views)
Shortcut
Sam in Cirith Ungol Can't Post

I can't tell if I'm imagining this or not. But I always thought that Sam's eyes looked unusual in this scene where he is threatening Gollum ("Anything happens to him, you'll have me to answer to.")

Now I'm wondering (after all this time, still wondering about aspects of these films, lol) if it was shot deliberately to make Sam's eyes look larger, uncharacterically harsh and intense - to resemble Frodo's eyes, which though large to begin with, are shown in some scenes mirrored by and becoming similar to Gollum's. Compare screenshots below.

Maybe to indicate that prolonged proximity to the Ring was affecting Sam too?

Just imagining? I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 14 2016, 7:39pm

Post #2 of 6 (1515 views)
Shortcut
Serious Sam [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say that this is just Samwise being especially...intense.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 14 2016, 10:45pm

Post #3 of 6 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Camera lens focal length [In reply to] Can't Post

Just based on the partial screenshots, it could be these shots were captured in different lens focal lengths. The geometry of can 'distort' faces in different ways, for different effects.

So, as a guess, the top image is something closer to an 18/25mm lens, whereas the bottom image might be in the range of 50/85mm, or even higher.

Obviously other factors could be at play too, but I wouldn't be surprised if the top image were intentionally constructed to convey the emotional effect it had on you (and me too, now that I think of it).

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 15 2016, 11:51am

Post #4 of 6 (1452 views)
Shortcut
It might be so [In reply to] Can't Post

And very effective acting on Sean's part. It's interesting how after not watching the films for a while, when I watch them now I notice different things and have different perspectives on various of the actors' performances. While I always liked Sean Astin, I notice his performance over the three films more now, and how well he portrayed the change in Sam's character from the beginning through the middle, to the end and back again.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 15 2016, 2:03pm

Post #5 of 6 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to downplay the part that Sean Astin's acting contributed in that moment, because I do think he is very talented. But to me it seemed there was something about his eyes that looked ever so slightly enhanced, or distorted, but in very subtle way. And it only occurs, that I can recall, in that particular location on their journey. From what you shared below, it seems it could have also been some type of subtle 'effect' using a different lens. Interesting!

moreorless
Gondor

Oct 19 2016, 11:30am

Post #6 of 6 (956 views)
Shortcut
Focal lenght alterest how you veiw perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not to downplay the part that Sean Astin's acting contributed in that moment, because I do think he is very talented. But to me it seemed there was something about his eyes that looked ever so slightly enhanced, or distorted, but in very subtle way. And it only occurs, that I can recall, in that particular location on their journey. From what you shared below, it seems it could have also been some type of subtle 'effect' using a different lens. Interesting!

The focal length of the lens used alters how large/small objects appear at different distances. The wider a view the larger objects closer to the camera appear relative to those in the distance.

With people this has the effect of increasing the size of their nose relative to the rest of their face the wide the lens used is.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.