No interest in Middle-Earth Ultimate BLURAY boxset? Little surprised
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Sep 13 2016, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 42 (7783 views)
Shortcut
No interest in Middle-Earth Ultimate BLURAY boxset? Little surprised Can't Post

So i posted a poll asking if anyone is going to be buying this when it comes out and it looks like basically NOBODy is. Frown im actually kind of surprised on this board cause Peter Jackson support is pretty good here for the most part. yes the hate is pretty strong elsewhere like on youtube and the like, but i usually come here to celebrate the amazing films of the one and only Peter Jackson. This boxset i know is not the "Ultimate" that some people had in mind but its the one that Peter wanted us to have. He even designed the shelf for us and went out and conducted a poll so they would pick the best possible artwork to include! Im sure all the cardboard material they chose will be only top notch and the book looks sooo cool. Its exclusive!

But anyways i understand the price is a little bit steep but it is really for real fans and they even said this. I think not supporting it sends a sad message that nobody cares anymore which kind of seems to be the case from what i see online and walmart even had the hobbit dvds just thrown in the 5 dollar bin the other day like they were just some smelly garbage.

Of course I alreaddy have the bluerays but what Im going to do and I think you can do this too if you want is Im going to give the copies I already have and donate them to a homeless shelter so they can all watch this amazing movies and keep the new ones that I get in the set. anyway what do you think of this idea? I would just hate for PJ to be sitting around the house on christmas moring and get a call from warner bros informing him that nobody bought his box set and they are all being sent to the dump. Frown

Ringtir
Rivendell

Sep 14 2016, 3:00am

Post #2 of 42 (7591 views)
Shortcut
Don't feel bad for PJ, he isn't waiting any call from WB [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2016/08/23/101644-exclusive-peter-jackson-not-involved-in-this-release/

Still, I hope they don't dump anything!

Omnigeek
Lorien

Sep 14 2016, 6:52am

Post #3 of 42 (7576 views)
Shortcut
I'm not surprised at all [In reply to] Can't Post

The price is more than a little steep and it really doesn't have anything new in it. I don't want PJ's "Hobbit" trilogy in my collection anyway so there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on this unless it had something REALLY fabulous from or about the LOTR trilogy that I just had to have (and didn't have already).

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 14 2016, 8:46am

Post #4 of 42 (7558 views)
Shortcut
There was a lot of interest here a few weeks ago.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when the release was announced. Then a huge wave of disappointment at the realisation that this is not the edition people have been hoping for, with the new background material on the films that has been mentioned so often. Then disbelief - and horror - at the price, followed by amusement when the advertised price kept changing.... Things have gone quiet now only because there isn't much more to say.

I love all six films and would love a collected set. I was hoping that at some point there would be a Middle Earth equivalent of the Harry Potter 'Wizards Collection' which had a lot of extra material on the disks, and every possible version of the films, and came in packaging which is a real work of art -( I'm like a big kid, I still get a lot of pleasure just taking the disks out of all those little drawers and compartments) Compared to that, this is a half-hearted effort. I know someone has already linked you to the article about Peter Jackson not being involved: this isn't the collection that he proposed to Warner Brothers and he has had no part in it (beyond making the films, of course). And yet they're stressing his involvement in the marketing. Did he choose the shelf design? I don't know. Did he conduct a poll among fans on social media? I've yet to find anyone who knew about it, and people here are usually pretty clued up about these things.

The book looks beautiful and I'd love to have it. But for the rest, I've already bought several copies of all the films and there's nothing new here. I do care a lot - lots of people here do - but for me, pouring a lot of money into the coffers of Warner Brothers for some disks I already have, a shelf and a book, isn't the way to show that. I see what you're saying and I'd be sad too if the message goes out that people just don't care about the films, but I don't think it will. Anyone wanting to know what people really think will find it on sites like this. I'd be inclined to ask what refusing the set Peter Jackson wanted to make and churning this one out instead says about how much Warner Brothers care.....

I'm sorry if all that seems negative to you. If you really want this set then go for it and don't let anyone put you off. And I think your idea of giving away the copies of the films you already have is lovely and generous and kind-hearted. Good luck to you - and I will be really envious of that book! Smile

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 14 2016, 8:48am

Post #5 of 42 (7560 views)
Shortcut
PJ's Hobbit belongs in the dump... [In reply to] Can't Post

actually no, there's no need to pollute the good Earth with this crud, it would be better if WB packed em all in a rocket and fired em off into a black hole. But seriously though, only the most die hard of the die hard PJ fanatics will be purchasing this. But on the bright side, and if they are smart, WB will only be producing these things as they are ordered, in which case, yours will be the only one in existence and could become very valuable one day! You might even get the same one that Merry was personally shilling!

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Sep 14 2016, 11:53am

Post #6 of 42 (7561 views)
Shortcut
Your hatred for these movies really is something special! [In reply to] Can't Post

And everybody here ought to know that by now. Mission accomplished!

Those are some very harsh words by the way. It makes me wonder why it's considered ok to talk about PJ and his works in a disrespectful manner, when personal attacks towards other TORN members are frowned upon.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 15 2016, 2:38pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Sep 14 2016, 12:21pm

Post #7 of 42 (7552 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It makes me wonder why it's considered ok to talk about PJ and his works in a disrespectful manner, when personal attacks towards other TORN members are frowned upon.

If I say something disrespectful about wizzardly I will get a warning and the post deleted, if wizzardly say something disrespectful about PJ ( he is doing that a lot) nothing happens.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 14 2016, 1:13pm

Post #8 of 42 (7549 views)
Shortcut
Personal attacks vs. criticism [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If I say something disrespectful about wizzardly I will get a warning and the post deleted, if wizzardly say something disrespectful about PJ ( he is doing that a lot) nothing happens.

There is a difference between verbally attacking Peter Jackson himself and criticizing the films--no matter how harshly. That is a line that Wizzardly isn't crossing (at least not in this post). Although I do agree that his opinion has been stated so firmly and so often that I see little reason for Wizzardly to repeat it unless he has something new to add to the discussion.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 14 2016, 1:20pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 1:34pm

Post #9 of 42 (7536 views)
Shortcut
Uh, err, Is Peter Jackson a member of TORn? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It makes me wonder why it's considered ok to talk about PJ and his works in a disrespectful manner, when personal attacks towards other TORN members are frowned upon.

Just wondering . . .

Edited to say: If not a member would he not be fair game for personal criticism, just as Obama, Trump, or Hilary, or any author or movie maker?
I think it’s only against TORn rules to not get personally negative with another TORn member?

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Sep 14 2016, 1:46pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2016, 2:08pm

Post #10 of 42 (7530 views)
Shortcut
There's a possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

that wizzardly is doing it to get a reaction, so the best response is to ignore it and participate where you find joy.

Note that we welcome ALL opinions as long as they comply with our Terms of Service. Wizzardly did not make a personal attack - criticism of the movies is not personal.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Sep 14 2016, 2:19pm

Post #11 of 42 (7532 views)
Shortcut
Ok, so it's ok to criticize someone, no matter how harshly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I made a small grammatical error there. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

So let's pretend that I don't like Tolkien's The Hobbit and want to express my feelings towards the book. If I would write:
"That ****ing excuse for a 'book', written by that lousy good-for-nothing 'author' with not the slightest sense of storytelling or how to build characters! I use it as toilet paper just to make a statement."

... would it qualify as "just" criticism, as compared to:
"IMO, The Hobbit is poorly written. Sadly, the narrative structure isn't just up to standard, and the character development could have been much better."

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 15 2016, 2:39pm)

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Sep 14 2016, 2:24pm

Post #12 of 42 (7518 views)
Shortcut
But wouldn't that qualify as trolling? [In reply to] Can't Post

that wizzardly is doing it to get a reaction

Ringtir
Rivendell

Sep 14 2016, 3:10pm

Post #13 of 42 (7521 views)
Shortcut
what we have to admit is that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wizzardly and Omnigeek have a great strategy to lead all the threads to the same topic.

Sadly, we're missing another one to get the three Trolls, but luckily, despite all the problems that they gave to the company, at the end we will find Sting and a chest full of treasure.

(This post was edited by Ringtir on Sep 14 2016, 3:18pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2016, 3:17pm

Post #14 of 42 (7513 views)
Shortcut
That's a violation of our Terms of Service [In reply to] Can't Post

which says that language must be family-friendly. Asterisks to replace certain letters is not enough. But the rest is fine.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2016, 3:19pm

Post #15 of 42 (7504 views)
Shortcut
If you think someone is violating our Terrms of Service [In reply to] Can't Post

contact an admin, either on Feedback or via Private Message. We will discuss and determine the appropriate course of action.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 14 2016, 4:53pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 3:19pm

Post #16 of 42 (7504 views)
Shortcut
But the question remains [In reply to] Can't Post

If one makes a personal attack on a non-TORn member would THIS constitute a violation of TOS? It’s understandable and reasonable for TORn to curtail TORn-to-TORn personal attacks, but would a personal attack on PJ, authors, other movie-makers, politicos etc. (non-members) break TOS? If so, Freedom of speech takes a backseat and much of our political discussion (amongst others) is quite personal (although not person-to-person, but ‘personal attacks’ nonetheless) must be deleted.

In Reply To
Note that we welcome ALL opinions as long as they comply with our Terms of Service. Wizzardly did not make a personal attack - criticism of the movies is not personal.

Still just wondering . . .

Gandalf to Denethor

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 3:31pm

Post #17 of 42 (7496 views)
Shortcut
com si, com sa [In reply to] Can't Post

com si – crass, personal Mad

com sa – tasteful, critical Angelic

Gandalf to Denethor

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2016, 4:04pm

Post #18 of 42 (7481 views)
Shortcut
We've had that come up before [In reply to] Can't Post

whether a personal attack on a non-TORn member is allowed. It depends on the circumstances, but generally personal attacks are not allowed here.

You realize no one has Freedom of Speech here - this is a private website and the site owners dictate the rules about how people communicate on these boards.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 14 2016, 4:05pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 4:08pm

Post #19 of 42 (7470 views)
Shortcut
I love all the LOTR films [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not their target audience for something like this set. I'm not much into collecting stuff anymore, and my disposable income is going to different things than movie memorabilia. Aside from my own perspective though, from what I understand reading about it, this particular set wasn't exactly what some fans were expecting, in addition it was at a price that was off-putting for some. However, I don't feel the response or lack of it for this particular set is something that would make PJ sad. I imagine he's well aware from many other avenues (Facebook, forums, fan gatherings, continued sales, etc.) that his LOTR movies have a special place in the hearts and minds of many, many, MANY people Smile.

As for the movies ending up in the bargain bin, after a certain period of time, any manner of movies, from the not-so-good to the absolutely-classic, still can make their way to those bins. And at my local Best Buy, I just recently bought the LOTR BluRay TE 3-film set, because I only recently upgraded to a BluRay home theater system. I was so happy to find this release in stock at a great price.

If you do get the ultimate boxset, be sure to post here and let us know how you like it!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 7:00pm

Post #20 of 42 (7451 views)
Shortcut
As I said [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s understandable and reasonable for TORn to curtail TORn-to-TORn personal attacks

In Reply To
You realize no one has Freedom of Speech here - this is a private website and the site owners dictate the rules about how people communicate on these boards.

Of course! I think my quote says something akin to that.

In Reply To
whether a personal attack on a non-TORn member is allowed. It depends on the circumstances, but generally personal attacks are not allowed here.

And all the recent vitriol on a recent Pollantir does not fall under the lose term of “generally”?
Apologies if I seem to be a ‘hard guy’ here. Not meant to be so. I think a separate post is in order as an attempt to lay out my true feelings:

Gandalf to Denethor

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 14 2016, 7:41pm

Post #21 of 42 (7440 views)
Shortcut
Quick thoughts on our relationships [In reply to] Can't Post

I write this as a previous post or two of mine may be misinterpreted as often seems to happen.

Who among us hasn’t spent many a rainy evening hidden in a corner of our Bag End reading and trudging along with our nine companions and dear friends into fearful (sometimes friendly) lands far from home?
I write that with a certainty that it will bring a vision of beauty or terror or tears to all Tolkienites, as we are all a singular bunch with a shared goal, a common love, a mutual interest – the discussion (be it serious or trivial) and the love of Tolkien’s works.

The scope of this work necessarily drives us to examine, dissect, analyze, and probe any and all facets of this wondrous creation with glee, with wonder, with sadness. Who among us can’t translate the word “Estel”, or name the Nine Walkers, or recite the first line of The Hobbit? Some of us even have a dog named “Huan”, or a canary named “Gwaihir”, or a getaway in the woods called “Rivendell”. And as we occasionally, or often, peruse TORn we anticipate or hope for a question or comment or piece of trivia that will pique our interest and perhaps escalate into a cursory examination or a full-fledged in-depth exchange of ideas.

But, occasionally we may disagree with another’s speculation, conclusion, or trivial input. This is understandable, and fair game are the words of the poster that we may disagree with. Fair game are the words or thoughts of said poster, and to pounce on these words or thoughts is seemly. But to leave those words and thoughts behind and to attack the poster personally is to leave the path of enjoyment and enter the hideous pettiness of orcdom. It might be well if we ponder the wise words of Glóin at The Council of Elrond [slightly tweaked]: ‘Still it might be well for all . . . if all [our] strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.’

I hope I hope I hope - that no one will take this as preachy or condescending. It’s certainly not meant so, and I am as likely guilty as anyone at “The Attack” . . .

Gandalf to Denethor

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 14 2016, 8:11pm

Post #22 of 42 (7435 views)
Shortcut
Calling an end to this discussion [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone thinks there has been a violation of our Terms of Service, contact an admin, either on Feedback or via PM with a link to the post you think is a violation. We're all just people here, and we may not catch everything, and in some cases the admins might reach a different conclusion than the message board members. The admin group collaborates well, and we can discuss any questionable post and come to consensus. Our decision might not be the same as one reached by a different group, but litigating the issue within the message boards is not productive.

Anyone who wishes to continue can do that via PM or on the Feedback board.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 12:06am

Post #23 of 42 (7319 views)
Shortcut
That's one epic post [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful stuff here.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Sep 16 2016, 1:52pm

Post #24 of 42 (7281 views)
Shortcut
i know i saw that article [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think its still the boxset he wanted us to have minus a few bloopers and the documentary he was talking about. The man still went out of his way and made a really nice shelf for us. Its solid wood too. And he went out and polled people in the street and asked them what their favorite Hobbit scenes were and thats why we get a cool picture of his really awesome barrell scene to hang up on our wall! But on a further note Domminick Monnaham came out of retirement in support of it! It was so cool to see him again! And he really seemed sincere. I think he is really excited to be able to bring this boxset home like I am.

Anyway thats all i really wanted to say about it. I really hope they don't end up dumping all these boxsets cause that would be a real shame to behold.Frown

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 16 2016, 8:39pm

Post #25 of 42 (7249 views)
Shortcut
misinformed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I think its still the boxset he wanted us to have minus a few bloopers and the documentary he was talking about.

And all of the deleted scenes we've wanted to see for over a decade. He's always been good with wanting to give fans worthwhile content for new releases, so double/triple dipping feels worth the price for us. Warner Bros shut down any chance of making this anymore than a fancy repackage of old material.

In Reply To
The man still went out of his way and made a really nice shelf for us. Its solid wood too.

You're acting as if he spent weeks making each one himself. Do you really feel that the shelf is worth the $800 price tag?

In Reply To
And he went out and polled people in the street and asked them what their favorite Hobbit scenes were

Did he? The press release made it sound like it he did it on social media, and there is absolutely not evidence of it.

In Reply To
and thats why we get a cool picture of his really awesome barrell scene to hang up on our wall!

But is that worth the price?

In Reply To
But on a further note Domminick Monnaham came out of retirement in support of it!

How can he come out of retirement when he never retired?

This is why I honestly can't tell if you're being serious. You're exaggerating to the point where you're making things up. It's far more likely that PJ's just as disappointed as some of us are. Do you honestly believe he wants fans to have to pay a ridiculous price for an incomplete version of what he wanted to give us? Your posts are coming across as parodies of what fans have been complaining about since this boxset was announced.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 16 2016, 11:47pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.