Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
No interest in Middle-Earth Ultimate BLURAY boxset? Little surprised
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 16 2016, 11:49pm

Post #26 of 42 (2842 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say misinformed [In reply to] Can't Post

seems more a difference of opinion. We welcome all opinions here. If you disagree, fine, but try to avoid judging someone's intent or level of knowledge when you disagree.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2016, 12:00am

Post #27 of 42 (2838 views)
Shortcut
Surely it's not a difference of opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that this is the edition PJ wants us to have. That, at least, is clearly not true.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 17 2016, 4:30am

Post #28 of 42 (2822 views)
Shortcut
i admit i may not know everything about the making of this boxset [In reply to] Can't Post

but i at least trust that they would at least not lie to us. I understand it doesn't have everything everyone wants but as we all know from reading the hobbit movie forums you can t always please everyone. I'm pretty sure PJ probably had some hands on imput into making these shelves i for one cant wait to see it in person. im not sure if its worth 800 dollars alone but maybe its made from really nice wood. I don't know.

Im not sure if PJ went out in public and polled people but online works too. He is really interested in what the fans have to say so I can see him doing this. But combined with everything else you get like the exclusive book and the pictures suitable for framing I would say this is worth at least 600 if not 800.

I might have been wrong about Domminick Monnaham. I just havent seen him in such a long time I thought he stopped acting after Lost.

But i didnt mean to offend anyone with my posts. Im just really looking forward to getting this and trust that PJ will once again deliver his fans another wonderful treasure.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Sep 17 2016, 5:47am

Post #29 of 42 (2816 views)
Shortcut
I hope you enjoy it as much as you expect and more [In reply to] Can't Post

I may not have any interest in it but I hope those who do never regret their decision to purchase it, that it brings them much joy.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 17 2016, 7:20am

Post #30 of 42 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Marketing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but i at least trust that they would at least not lie to us.

Oh, you do not understand the marketing departments at the major film studios. They lie through their collective teeth all the time and have done so since the invention of motion picture film. Don't blame them, it's their nature.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 17 2016, 2:09pm

Post #31 of 42 (2803 views)
Shortcut
If what you are all saying is true [In reply to] Can't Post

and Domminink Monnaham willingly participated in this heinous ruse to swindle me from my hard earned euros, than he is a very wicked man and I don't think I could ever forgive him this transgression.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 17 2016, 3:45pm

Post #32 of 42 (2784 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

... hard to tell...

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 17 2016, 5:21pm

Post #33 of 42 (2780 views)
Shortcut
Give Dominic a break [In reply to] Can't Post

He's just earning a living. For people who have not already purchased these products (because what Cliff Broadway said on his TORN live was that it's stuff we/he already has) over the last 15 years then this is the easy way to get it all. If you didn't see this, I believe you can go to the TORN live archives and view it.It's the one from two weeks ago that's 152 minutes long,,,, I think....

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/90930667

For those who already own most or all.... why buy it again at what appears to be an inflated price?

Dominic meanwhile is simply getting paid to do a commercial. Is it ethical to do commercials on products that are overpriced .... well Matthew McConaughey seems to be doing quite well off of Lincoln autos....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 17 2016, 6:29pm

Post #34 of 42 (2771 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I'm buying it. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, for a much lower price: 272 ($304) for the German edition. For a shelf and a Red book, this is a worthy price tag.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17 2016, 10:50pm

Post #35 of 42 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I would describe this as a swindle. If they were lying about the actual contents of the set, it would be. The reason most of us aren't buying it isn't that they're not telling us what's in it - it's that what's in it isn't what we want, at least not at the price. I don't think anyone really hates the shelf and the book, they just don't want them as much as they want the extra movie content.

Warner Brothers controls the marketing for these films and always has, not Peter Jackson. Part of the reason it took so long to get the Hobbit made in the first place was because all the people who held rights to different parts of the project had to hammer out agreements and contracts. PJ can propose what he'd like to do for a set, but those who hold the marketing rights and put up the money have the final say. And marketing departments are notorious for artfully describing, not to say exaggerating, selling points. In this case, PJ's name is a major selling point and his involvement is likely being exaggerated.

If you want what's in the set and you don't mind the price, then buy it. If not, don't. Just realize that it's WB selling it, not PJ himself.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2016, 11:56am

Post #36 of 42 (2689 views)
Shortcut
comme ci, comme ca ? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 19 2016, 11:58am

Post #37 of 42 (2694 views)
Shortcut
Question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, for a much lower price: 272 ($304) for the German edition. For a shelf and a Red book, this is a worthy price tag.

Does that German version come with subtitles? And if so, in which languages, would you happen to know?

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 19 2016, 12:00pm

Post #38 of 42 (2694 views)
Shortcut
German version [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that German version come with subtitles? And if so, in which languages, would you happen to know?

Sure.

LOTR movies: English and German audio, English and German subtitles.
LOTR bonus: English audio, German subtitles.

Hobbit movies: English and German audio, English and German subtitles.
Hobbit bonus: English audio, very many different international subtitles (including English and German).

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 19 2016, 3:43pm

Post #39 of 42 (2685 views)
Shortcut
Back to the original subject... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So i posted a poll asking if anyone is going to be buying this when it comes out and it looks like basically NOBODy is. Frown im actually kind of surprised on this board cause Peter Jackson support is pretty good here for the most part. yes the hate is pretty strong elsewhere like on youtube and the like, but i usually come here to celebrate the amazing films of the one and only Peter Jackson. This boxset i know is not the "Ultimate" that some people had in mind but its the one that Peter wanted us to have. He even designed the shelf for us and went out and conducted a poll so they would pick the best possible artwork to include! Im sure all the cardboard material they chose will be only top notch and the book looks sooo cool. Its exclusive!

But anyways i understand the price is a little bit steep but it is really for real fans and they even said this. I think not supporting it sends a sad message that nobody cares anymore which kind of seems to be the case from what i see online and walmart even had the hobbit dvds just thrown in the 5 dollar bin the other day like they were just some smelly garbage.

Of course I alreaddy have the bluerays but what Im going to do and I think you can do this too if you want is Im going to give the copies I already have and donate them to a homeless shelter so they can all watch this amazing movies and keep the new ones that I get in the set. anyway what do you think of this idea? I would just hate for PJ to be sitting around the house on christmas moring and get a call from warner bros informing him that nobody bought his box set and they are all being sent to the dump. Frown

Then they need to lower the price. SERIOUSLY! It's not just "a little steep," not for most of us anyway. As much as I love PJ's Middle-earth movies, there's NO WAY I'd pay $800 (or even $600) for a set of Blu-Ray/DVD's that I already own. NO NEW CONTENT! That's the sticking point, any many of us will not buy it as a protest to WB, not PJ. The bookshelf and pretty leather bindings don't make up for that fact. Now, I'd pay as much as $100 for that book of artwork, if I could get it separately, and I have considered replacing my LoTR DVD's with the Blu-Rays, but I can do that for a lot less than $800. And I don't believe this is the box set that PJ wanted us to have - he pitched the idea of a 2 hr documentary to WB, which was rejected. I personally think that whichever braniac came up with this idea should be out a job, Christmas or no. WB is acting out of sheer greed, worse than Smaug, and I will not reward them for that.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 21 2016, 10:48pm

Post #40 of 42 (2630 views)
Shortcut
i wouldn't say they are being greedy [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of as just an upgrade from what we already have! SlyHeart

And you could always sell the set you have now and put it towards the new one. I think saying WB are just in it for the money is not being fair. They gave us three Hobbit movies instead of just one and they didn't have to do that now did they? I'd say thats pretty generous. haha WinkTongue

I just don't know how any true fan can see that set and not be head over heals in Heart!

I can't wait! Thank you PJ!

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 22 2016, 12:36am

Post #41 of 42 (2626 views)
Shortcut
Just so everyone is aware [In reply to] Can't Post

The set has been slashed a second time and is now listed at $499.96 on amazon.

Still too much, but it's a start.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Sep 27 2016, 10:12pm

Post #42 of 42 (2554 views)
Shortcut
Portuguese subtitles. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am Brazilian, so would you be able to say if this set (be the German or any other version) contains Portuguese audio or subtitles?

Thanks in advance!Smile

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Sep 27 2016, 10:12pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.