Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Are you going to get the Middle-Earth Ultimate BLU-ray boxset?
Poll: Are you going to get the Middle-Earth Ultimate BLU-ray boxset?
Yes
No
Maybe
View Results (43 votes)

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 11 2016, 9:06pm

Post #1 of 16 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Are you going to get the Middle-Earth Ultimate BLU-ray boxset? Can't Post

i cant wait to get mine! ive alreddy cleared off a space for the shelf. LaughHeart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 11 2016, 9:16pm

Post #2 of 16 (1079 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

...at least not unless I find it at a far, far lower price. And with no new bonus features I refuse to use the term 'Ultimate' with this set.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 11 2016, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 16 (1074 views)
Shortcut
it is a little pricy [In reply to] Can't Post

but i dont think you could hope for a nicer looking set. I think thats why they call it ultimate. does anyone know what kind of wood the shelf is made from? I dint see it mentined anywhere before?? but it looks soo nice and Peter Jackson helped desingn it!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 11 2016, 9:38pm

Post #4 of 16 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Not Ultimate [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i dont think you could hope for a nicer looking set. I think thats why they call it ultimate.

In actual fact, it is not called the ultimate edition. The actual name of the set is the Middle-earth 6-film Collection - Limited Collector's Edition The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogies.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 11 2016, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 16 (1062 views)
Shortcut
i thought i saw it somewhere as the Ultimate [In reply to] Can't Post

weird. but the name you said dosn't have the same ring to it.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 12 2016, 3:23am

Post #6 of 16 (1018 views)
Shortcut
I'm on the fence on this [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything I could say has already been said around these parts, but moving on into redundancy: on the one hand, the set looks spectacular and would just be a nice thing to own for fans of the series like myself, yet on the other hand, there's just no way I would've paid $800 for it and still won't at $600. If the price is slashed again and the set gets around the $200-300 mark, I will begin to seriously consider it - and I wouldn't put it past Warner Bros. to cut it at least once more before the release.

Also, there's still the actual 'ultimate edition' that fans have been waiting for for years that will likely happen sometime down the road and so a purchase of this set could be retroactively seen as a mistake if that turns out to be an improvement (which my gut tells me it will). So... who knows? Maybe? Probably not? No idea at this time.

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, I voted 'Maybe.'

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Sep 12 2016, 3:27am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 12 2016, 12:43pm

Post #7 of 16 (993 views)
Shortcut
What would be 'Ultimate'? [In reply to] Can't Post

Leaving aside such bells and whistles such as booklets, shelves, statues, etc., what would constitute a true 'Ultimate Edition? I can think of a few things:

- All of the movies and bonus features in this set.
- Include the theatrical cuts of all six films.
- Never-before-released deleted scenes.
- The complete musical soundtracks on CD with free download
- The Dwarves singing the complete "Over the Misty Mountains" song as JRRT wrote it.

What you you add?

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 12 2016, 1:15pm

Post #8 of 16 (989 views)
Shortcut
Really, the one thing I meant (and desire) [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this one: "Never-before-released deleted scenes," though if everything you've listed were included... well, I'm not sure it could possibly get more 'ultimate' than that. Maybe if they included a round-trip ticket to New Zealand?

But then the set would have to be like $800 and that's just unfathomable!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 12 2016, 1:32pm

Post #9 of 16 (985 views)
Shortcut
GdT's Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

How about a documentary covering Guillermo del Toro's vision and designs for The Hobbit? I would dearly like to see some images of the 6-foot maquette that was produced for del Toro's Smaug. A smaller version might even make a nice collectable!

Gianna
Rohan

Sep 14 2016, 3:32pm

Post #10 of 16 (923 views)
Shortcut
Haha, I'm saving for college. [In reply to] Can't Post

$800 is not exactly a price I'm about to pay for films that I already own with a couple bells and whistles that I don't particularly care about. Even if it had never-seen deleted scenes, I wouldn't pay $800 for it!

That Red Book replica does make my mouth water though. I hope you enjoy your set Smile

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 14 2016, 5:23pm

Post #11 of 16 (914 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

It dosen't include 3d or theatrical versions and with no new content it honestly comes across as a greedy cashgrab by Warner Brothers, some nice packaging isn't enough to make me part ways with $800 (or whatever the equivalent will be in ).

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 2:37pm

Post #12 of 16 (879 views)
Shortcut
Sadly no [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have that kind of money, but on a brighter note, the set is gorgeous! I think it's really cool that they are releasing all six films together, so I think that is great!

I hope you love your set! (It's really exciting when they release new LOTR's items! Smile)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2016, 2:20am

Post #13 of 16 (829 views)
Shortcut
what the bleep IS a blue ray??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 21 2016, 3:23am

Post #14 of 16 (827 views)
Shortcut
Rim-shot [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
what the bleep IS a blue ray???

A manta with clinical depression.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 21 2016, 6:19am

Post #15 of 16 (813 views)
Shortcut
Mods up! // [In reply to] Can't Post

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Sep 21 2016, 11:04pm

Post #16 of 16 (797 views)
Shortcut
haha [In reply to] Can't Post

SlySly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.