Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Missing scenes ?

Jacob0407

Sep 10 2016, 10:54pm

Post #1 of 15 (2355 views)
Shortcut
Missing scenes ? Can't Post

From the whole middle earth saga what do we know was filmed but never released on the ext editions?

I was also wondering was the scene at the end of the hobbit ever filmed when Balin and gandalf came to visit?

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 12:26am

Post #2 of 15 (2294 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Jacob. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many missing scenes: Goblin-king seing the map, the transition AUJ-DOS, the introduction to Thranduil and so many other things. I've never hard about, though, a scene of Balin visiting Bilbo.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 11 2016, 1:26am

Post #3 of 15 (2291 views)
Shortcut
I assume you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Things that were filmed that DIDN'T show up as deleted scenes on the EE's? Well it seems there was some kind of Beorn torture scene, and personally I'm glad they cut that because I wouldn't want to see that. Also, Evangeline Lily was talking about some scene where she first meets Kili, and how they start off disliking each other. She said she was glad it got cut, because they never seemed to come up with a good resolution on that one. I think you just get a couple of minutes of it in the Appendices. People who have the Chronicles books probably know of some others - for some reason, I haven't bought any of those.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 1:31am

Post #4 of 15 (2282 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why are you glad to have the torture scene deleted?

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 11 2016, 1:54am

Post #5 of 15 (2278 views)
Shortcut
I don't like torture scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean really, they are kind of hard to watch. Don't get me started on season 1 of "Outlander!" I told my daughter not to watch it, and she's in her 20's.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 3:18am

Post #6 of 15 (2267 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Tauriel scene [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene you mention is actually where they started off immediately flirt-connection while they're fighting the spiders. So there was too much instant liking each other at that point.

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 12:27pm

Post #7 of 15 (2222 views)
Shortcut
Here's a list... [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS - https://youtu.be/qfMznU_ELMc

Bo5A - https://youtu.be/pTCkhL-IDd8

LotR - https://youtu.be/VlXvQRXUL2E

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 11 2016, 2:39pm

Post #8 of 15 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Some of those deleted scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

were really quite good - I wish they'd included the Dwarves being dragged in front of Thranduil. And I loved that scene with Dwalin trying to get to Thorin, but I understand why they cut it - still, that's one of the problems with BOT5A, so many inconsistencies, like just where was Dwalin during all this? I'm also glad they cut the scene where Bilbo plants the acorn in Dale. To be honest, I thought that was the best acting Luke Evans did in both movies, and Martin could spin straw into gold. Really fine acting, but overall the scene just didn't fit. And yeah, I would rather Bilbo plant the acorn in his garden, as a tribute to Thorin. Anyway, thanks for those!

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 2:47pm

Post #9 of 15 (2195 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget [In reply to] Can't Post

those unfinished shots of Beorn in Botfa.

Also, there was a nice little moment in Bard's boat where Bilbo was talking about his home and why he left it.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

LSF
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 3:47pm

Post #10 of 15 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

Including that would've made a lot more problems than it solved. I also don't need to know what every character is doing at every point in the battle. How did Bofur get back to the main battle after falling off Stumpy the troll in the ice river? How exactly did Balin survive his moment of self-sacrifice with the chariot? So what was Dwalin doing? Probably fighting off in a different part of Ravenhill. Not showing all these things isn't an inconsistency. I think it actually adds to the hectic chaos of a battle.

I'm neutral on the acorn in Dale scene. I think it would've worked fine enough, especially if it was between Thorin threatening to kill Dwalin and him getting over the goldsickness. I feel that something needs to be there, but would prefer it be something about the Company talking about what they should do.

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 24 2016, 12:07am

Post #11 of 15 (1863 views)
Shortcut
Deleted scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

"Everything I did, I did for them."

This is a line from the trailer that we don't see in the film. It is a mistery for me, I don't know where is this from. From Thorin's clothes I would say it is from Dos, just before they chase the dragon (scooby-doo moment). OR it might be from Botfa (after all it was in the trailer of Botfa), because there's a brief scene where Thorin does where those clothes in Erebor.

Also there's this scene where Thranduil and Legolas are talking about the prophecy. Thranduil have the exact same lines of Bard when he found the tepresty in Lake-town. It is clearly a scene from AUJ when it was still the first of two films.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 24 2016, 9:18am

Post #12 of 15 (1846 views)
Shortcut
I think it's pretty clear when Thorin would have said.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Everything I did, I did for them."

These words are surely his reaction to the destruction of Laketown and the presumed death of his nephews. He insisted on leaving Kili (who seems to be his favourite); Fili stayed because he wouldn't leave his brother. As the dwarves watch Smaug set the town on fire it's obvious from their expressions and body language that they believe they're seeing the deaths of Fili, Kili, Bofur and Oin - the camera lingers on the dwarves related to those four and we see Thorin can't even watch, and he returns to Erebor as soon as he knows Smaug is dead. He has the kingdom, but no heir to succeed him.

I'm certain that line would have come in the scenes immediately following, when Thorin begins to change as the treasure takes possession. It expresses the emptiness left inside him by the death of his nephews. He wanted to regain the kingdom for them; now he has it but he doesn't have them - he has no future, only the treasure.

I think the trailer confirms this by showing Thorin embrace Fili immediately after he says that line - it's telling us who he's talking about.

And I think it's a rather a shame the line, and whatever else Thorin said, wasn't in the EE at least.....

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

MaxGoof

Oct 14 2016, 2:08am

Post #13 of 15 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
were really quite good - I wish they'd included the Dwarves being dragged in front of Thranduil. And I loved that scene with Dwalin trying to get to Thorin, but I understand why they cut it - still, that's one of the problems with BOT5A, so many inconsistencies, like just where was Dwalin during all this? I'm also glad they cut the scene where Bilbo plants the acorn in Dale. To be honest, I thought that was the best acting Luke Evans did in both movies, and Martin could spin straw into gold. Really fine acting, but overall the scene just didn't fit. And yeah, I would rather Bilbo plant the acorn in his garden, as a tribute to Thorin. Anyway, thanks for those!

I've seen people mention the scene of Dwalin trying to get to Thorin several times, but I've never seen it in the EE, the Appendices or even read about it in the Chronicles. Is this scene shown somewhere in the Appendices and I missed it?

LSF
Gondor

Oct 14 2016, 2:36am

Post #14 of 15 (1329 views)
Shortcut
It is in the BOFA EE appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

They show the (mostly-greenscreen) footage, edited together with the Thorin/Azog stabbing each other, to show how it would have been if they had kept it. I don't remember exactly where it is, though.

banaili
Bree

Nov 15 2016, 3:01pm

Post #15 of 15 (1156 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was waiting for that Balin/Gandalf/Bilbo scene SO badly, and then it never happened. T_T I would pay money to have them come together again just to film that. I need to know that definitely happened before Balin went to his doom in Moria!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.