Ok - makes sense // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jeffrodo
Bree

Sep 14 2016, 1:08am

Post #27 of 35 (1286 views)
Shortcut
My ranking [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR
Maybe my favorite of all. So magical and impressive. I love the thrill of starting the journey.
10/10

TTT
Helms Deep is simply the greatest battle ever put on film. Tree beard isn't my favorite though...kind of bored by his scenes, sorry.
9/10

ROTK
Has perhaps my favorite single scene in all of cinema: "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" Gets me every time.
10/10

AUJ
Loved returning to Middle Earth, but too much over the top CGI that made it not fit properly in the world established by the LOTR films,
9/10

DOS
This is the one I love more each time I see it. Smaug is perfect but the finale with the dwarves is too long and ridiculous.
8/10

BOTFA
Yes it's really just a long fight scene but mixed with some poignant and wonderfully dramatic scenes.
8/10

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 12:02am

Post #28 of 35 (1228 views)
Shortcut
"ROTK Has perhaps my favorite single scene in all of cinema: 'I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!' Gets me every time." [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my favorite moment ever put to film.

Jeffrodo
Bree

Sep 16 2016, 12:08am

Post #29 of 35 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I met Sean Astin a few years back and told him that. Greatest emotional scene in the history of cinema! I may be a bit partial.

Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 2:00am

Post #30 of 35 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I am, too! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

But I just find it impossible to imagine any film fan having seen FotR and TTT (and then of course the EE's) and not being heavily emotionally invested by the time of that scene. It is emotionally stirring to the point of absurdity; I have seen a great many masterful films, and many that deal with deeper psychological and philosophical subject matter and have more unorthodox ('game-changing') goals in mind, but for raw power, there has never been an equal to that moment for me. The ceiling of that cinema could have broken off into a Gale Force wind, the walls could have crumbed down upon their foundations and the end of the earth as we know it could have begun its course and it would have made perfect sense to a goofy cinephile like me.

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Sep 16 2016, 2:01am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2016, 3:14am

Post #31 of 35 (1165 views)
Shortcut
I've been trying! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great idea! But I keep getting stuck!

....still sitting here contemplating

....my foot is falling asleep

Oh rats. I really can't do it! Every film has so many great things I look forward to and love so much, I'll just have to rank them each with 10!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

CaptainMorgan
Bree

Sep 19 2016, 6:17pm

Post #32 of 35 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Arrrrr! [In reply to] Can't Post

ROTK be #1!

Everything's better with pirates!!

YO HO HO, A LIPEY LIBER FWEE
-Captain Edward Dregg

A pirate always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason.
-Captain JP Morgan

Rohan

Sep 20 2016, 2:48pm

Post #33 of 35 (1133 views)
Shortcut
"Mind your aim..." [In reply to] Can't Post

"Oh! Well, we warned ya. Prepare to be boarded!"

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Sep 20 2016, 5:38pm

Post #34 of 35 (1126 views)
Shortcut
My ranking... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Two Towers- It's more gritty and darker and is a perfect movie! 10/10
2. The Fellowship of the Ring- a fantasy classic! 10/10
3. The Return of the King- an epic masterpiece but I like the other two better 10/10

4. The Desolation of Smaug- more character development and an epic adventure with an awesome confrontation between Bilbo and Smaug 8/10
5. An Unexpected Journey- a little boring but it's a well entertaining film 7.5/10

6. The Battle of the Five Armies- Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, and Ian McKellen are great but the movie is garbage 4/10

(This post was edited by HOBBITFAN13 on Sep 20 2016, 5:41pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 8 2016, 12:19am

Post #35 of 35 (907 views)
Shortcut
For me, it is: [In reply to] Can't Post

FotR 10 So beautiful, when I think of the first sight of the Mines of Moria, the boat journey, the music, etc, I am filled with nostalgia. We'd never seen the like before and it was astonishing – and the astonishment and passion carried through to TTT and RotK, even though there were things that didn't quite work for me, e.g. Faramir, Gandalf at the Gates, etc.
TTT 9.5 (Helm's Deep especially was magnificent).
RotK 9.5

The Hobbit was really promising at first, in AUJ, especially when it came to the events in the Shire, but for me it was seriously marred by all the stupidity, and the Legolas/ginger elf female 'love triangle'. It could have been SO much better had it not had these things, and the self-indulgent grossness and OTT blood splashes, which really annoyed me. It had a fantastic cast, and amazing visuals (Smaug, for example). What a pity and a bit of a wasted effort, given the truly wonderful visuals, on the whole. So:

AUJ 8
DOS 7.5 (Smaug and Bilbo scene)
BOTFA 7 (far too much unfinished business, and far too little Beorn, all sacrificed at the altar of a stupid romance and self-indulgent grossness ). Unimpressed

The Hobbit markings are probably overly generous, given how disappointed I still feel about the missed opportunities with these films…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 8 2016, 12:22am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.