Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Best MCU Villain (films only, I haven't seen all the tv shows)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Best MCU Villain (films only, I haven't seen all the tv shows)
Obidiah Stane/Iron Monger
"Thunderbolt Ross"
Emil Blonsky/Abomination
Ivan Vanko/Whiplash
Loki
Johann Schmidt/Red Skull
Aldrich Killian
Malekith
Alexander Pierce
The Winter Soldier
Ronan the Accuser
Thanos
Ultron
Darren Cross/Yellow Jacket
Helmut Zemo
View Results (25 votes)

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Sep 9 2016, 1:06pm

Post #1 of 27 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Best MCU Villain (films only, I haven't seen all the tv shows) Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 9 2016, 1:23pm

Post #2 of 27 (1253 views)
Shortcut
If by 'best' you mean 'most entertaining'... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd have to say Loki.

I don't really consider the Winter Soldier (Bucky) to be a villain. That term might also be a bit strong for General Ross (but I quibble).

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Sep 9 2016, 1:29pm

Post #3 of 27 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Reason why I put Ross on there was because he "technically" was the one that Blonsky was taking his orders from. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 9 2016, 1:54pm

Post #4 of 27 (1243 views)
Shortcut
Okay... [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that Gen. Ross's role varies quite a bit from story to story--a point I should have acknowledged originally. And we are limiting discussion to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

If we were discussing the DC films, it would be easy (and not far off) to paint Amanda Waller as a villain.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 9 2016, 1:58pm)

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Sep 9 2016, 2:17pm

Post #5 of 27 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Well, I put him on the list mainly for his role in The Incredible Hulk. [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, this is limited to the MCU.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on Sep 9 2016, 2:18pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 9 2016, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 27 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Loki by a mile [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm tired of evil overlords out to take over the world, bureaucrats with a hidden agenda, and the experiment-gone-wrong, bigger-and-badder-version-of-the-hero villain. Loki's far more complicated and one feels that he himself doesn't always know why he does what he does. In the myths he likes to break things just to see what will happen, and as a result is often a catalyst for others. And Tom Hiddleston makes you care about him no matter what he does.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 9 2016, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 27 (1206 views)
Shortcut
I would say exactly the same thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

only less eloquently.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 9 2016, 8:09pm

Post #8 of 27 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Loki. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has a complexity and subtlety that the others lack - and Tom Hiddleston does a beautiful job of drawing the audience in and making them care about this chaotic, broken little god.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 10 2016, 1:03am

Post #9 of 27 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Puny god! // [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 2:31am

Post #10 of 27 (1170 views)
Shortcut
I liked Loki, Winter Soldier and Zemo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Why Zemo and Winter Soldier as well as Loki? Winter Soldier brought a great amount of menace into the franchise, as someone who has no humorous moments and can fight Captain America to a standstill, while Zemo, unlike almost everyone else on this list, actually succeeded in his plan to divide the Avengers, with only his intelligence.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Sep 10 2016, 3:26am

Post #11 of 27 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Red Skull [In reply to] Can't Post

Loki was the most entertaining (and has had the most opportunity to do so) but Red Skull was by far the most villainous.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 10 2016, 3:33am

Post #12 of 27 (1166 views)
Shortcut
*aspirated cry of pain* / [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 27 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Loki! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I also like the Winter Soldier(even though he's only brainwashed.) and I thought Ultron was a really good villain for the Avengers to face!

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 5:41pm

Post #14 of 27 (1145 views)
Shortcut
I choose Zemo [In reply to] Can't Post

Because he is quietly menacing, I understand clearly his vengeful motivation though he is not without empathetic qualities and his plan was basically Loki's plan except that it makes more sense (and worked much better). Why was Loki so concerned with the Avengers to begin with? The Avengers weren't even formed properly when he shows up on earth and yet the second part of his plan (after acquiring the tesseract and Dr. Selvig) was to tear the team apart so that... what? It would make the job of conquering the world easier? He had an entire army from space backed by Thanos to work with! Was there some off-screen conversation between Loki and Thor after the events of Thor where Thor says, "Be careful if you ever make a move on earth, brother. There are some seriously powerful superpeople down there that could make it tough on you"? Even that wouldn't make sense because Thor meets the other members of the Avengers only after they've already captured Loki. So yeah, I don't get it (though, it's still more logical than the Joker and Silvia's plans in Dark Knight and Skyfall, respectfully).

Zemo's plan, however, does makes sense and - despite criticisms claiming the contrary - if one pays attention to how he unfurls this plan in Civil War, there are no plot holes nor gaps in logic in how he goes about accomplishing it. And he does! Which also makes him the only villain with a +1 on the Big Bad Guys vs. The Avengers score sheet.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 9:03pm

Post #15 of 27 (1129 views)
Shortcut
You've got a really good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just choose Loki because I really like his character, and have a soft spot for him. But you do got a point between him and Zemo's plan, and Zemo's is definitely more thought out!
Zemo knows how he can tear apart the Avengers because of the inside job he is doing,(brainwashing Bucky, etc.) And he was good at it. Even if he was captured at the end of film, the movie ended with tension among the Avengers.

I think Loki was just trying to take control, and show that he had more power than people thought he had. He wanted to be king of Asgard, and lost that, so he wanted to take control of another realm. But you are right, they didn't really show how he knew the Avengers, or explained how he knew that Bruce Banner would turn into the Hulk. We might never know.Evil

Gotta say though, I'm looking forward to Thor: Ragnarok, and I wonder what Loki will be doing in that! He was somewhat a bad guy/good guy in Dark World!

Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 10:00pm

Post #16 of 27 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also really like Loki's character and, as far as the MCU villains go, he is easily the most fleshed-out and colorful of the bunch... but that's only if we ignore the Netflix side of this universe (because both Wilson Fisk and the Purple Man are better villains than Loki and Zemo). Anyway, Loki is the most fun and, like I said, I really enjoy the character, but as far as a villain being efficient at being... a villain, then Zemo has to win for me.

SPOILERS HERE: Black Widow releasing all of Shield/Hydra's files leading to Sokovia becoming a hole in the earth and Zemo's entire family being killed in the process leading to Zemo (who has certain skills, having been a part of a kill squad and all) looking into and decrypting as many Hydra files as he can leading to the discovery of the murder of Tony Stark's parents at the hands of the Winter Soldier/Bucky in 1991 leading to tracking down Bucky's 'brainwashing book' leading the framing of Bucky for an explosion at a U.N. meeting and Bucky's subsequent arrest leading to both Zemo's murder of the psychiatrist that would be called in to question Bucky and the mailing of a machine capable of a major EMP to a nearby power grid (which he knew he'd need if he succeeded in getting Buck arrested and being able to take the psychiatrist's place) leading to reactivating the Winter Soldier (knowing Steve Roger's would do everything to protect his friend via the information discovered about the two in the leaked Shield/Hydra files, while most - if not all - of the other Avengers would be trying to take him down, causing a definite schism between the heroes) leading to the leaving of the body of the real psychiatrist in Zemo's hotel room for anyone to find (which would alert everyone - including Tony and Steve - as to who Zemo is and it would also not take long to find out where he'd currently be heading - which has already been expedited due to information delivered by Bucky to Steve, whom Tony follows immediately realizing his mistake) leading the four to Siberia to the one physical copy of the surveillance footage of the double homicide that had been held in this Hydra base since '91. Hooray for insane run-on sentences!

Anyway, it was an ambitious plan, it was a complicated plan and it was a plan borne out of, as Zemo put it: "patience and experience." But it was a plan that makes sense and it was a plan that worked, with now all unsanctioned superhero work being met with criminal punishment on both the federal and international level ("Do you really think I wanted more of you?"). Just about the only thing Zemo couldn't get done was shoot himself in the head, really.

I'm also greatly looking forward to the next Thor as well as the rest of the MCU on both the big and the small screen. But, if I'm being honest, it is hard for me to comprehend how Marvel Studios can outdo themselves in the cinema after Civil War. This was the best mainstream action film (forget about the comic book or superhero labels) in a looong time and I can't imagine attempting to top it will be anything other than absurdly difficult. The absolute only thing they've done in the MCU that's been better has been Daredevil (with Jessica Jones and Guardians of the Galaxy trailing ever-so-slightly). But yeah, can't wait to see what's coming next. Smile

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Sep 10 2016, 10:10pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 10:20pm

Post #17 of 27 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Loki [In reply to] Can't Post

He's not a cardboard cut-out bad guy. He seems to do a lot of waffling between good and evil. I quite like watching him.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 11:47pm

Post #18 of 27 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Zemo came prepared, [In reply to] Can't Post

that's for sure! The movie did well on showing a villain who didn't have to be powerful to bring the Avengers down. Unlike Loki, or Ultron, who the Avengers had faced together, Zemo could get inside their heads by turning themselves against each other. Wanda couldn't even get into the Avengers heads that much as both her and Pietro joined them in the fight against Ultron later on.
The whole thing with the tape of Bucky assassinating Tony's parents was a major move on Zemo's mark, plus with turning him back into the Winter Soldier at the facility was another move into breaking the Avengers apart.
Your points are great, and you are right, Zemo did everything he planned to do except kill himself. And as mention above, he didn't have to be powerful or in league with Thanos to be a great hit to the Avengers.

Civil War was excellent, but it seems that the films gradually get better and better as they go along, so I know the next films will get better. Dr. Strange is the next Marvel movie to be released with our own dragon, Benedict Cumberbatch, and that will be interesting. The trailers seem pretty promising (kinda reminds me of Guardians of the Galaxy and X-men in some ways!) My sister is a huge fan of Benedict, so it will be cool to see how he will be in one of the next Marvel films!

Rohan

Sep 11 2016, 12:48am

Post #19 of 27 (1098 views)
Shortcut
"I knew I couldn't kill them - more powerful men than me have tried. But... if I could get them to kill each other..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed that this huge franchise just seems to keep improving and it's probably the most exciting thing to see happening in major motion pictures at the moment (especially since... you know... Middle-earth is over... Frown). It'll be interesting to see how Doctor Strange handles the (first-ever for the MCU) horror-spin they're putting on it. Episodes of JJ is the closest to horror we've gotten so far and those were excellent, so... here's to some high hopes!

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Sep 11 2016, 1:01am)

Rohan

Sep 11 2016, 1:02am

Post #20 of 27 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Actually... there were those two episodes featuring the addicted children in DD season 2... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and now I will not be able to get any sleep tonight. Unsure

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2016, 8:06pm

Post #21 of 27 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Loki's plan [In reply to] Can't Post

Loki's number one goal was to get back at Thor by destroying the world under Thor's protection. But to do that, he teamed up with Thanos, who was probably giving him marching orders, i.e., "this is what you need to do." But yeah, Zemo was pretty clever, I'll give you that. And unlike Loki he succeeded.Crazy

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2016, 8:10pm

Post #22 of 27 (1051 views)
Shortcut
One of these days I'll watch "Jessica Jones" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard David Tennant is BRILLIANT - and my daughter watched and said he's so terrifying as an "abusive lover" that she started drinking (okay, not so good). I just gotta psyche myself up for it.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2016, 8:23pm

Post #23 of 27 (1048 views)
Shortcut
So Loki is way ahead, no big surprise [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Hiddleston is a terrific actor - LOVED him in "The Night Manager," watch it if you haven't already! But it's not just Tom, it's the way Loki was written that makes a huge difference. Honestly, so many comic-book movie villains are just one-dimensional, "I want to destroy the Earth just because I'm the bad guy and that's what we do." No reason, no logic at all. Plus, in many cases they are the mirror opposite of whatever hero they're fighting: Ant-Man vs. Yellowjacket; Iron Man vs. "some jealous guy ripping off his tech," Incredible Hulk vs. Abomination, etc. Even Capt. America vs. Winter Soldier followed that formula, with a bit of a twist. But Loki had a backstory, and a REASON for feeling the way he did - jealous that his cocky brother would get everything; feeling betrayed by Odin when he learned the truth, and even in a way his tricking the Frost Giants and saving Odin was somewhat heroic, and his desperate plea "Father, I did it for YOU!" - well, you can't help but feel for the guy. Now, one poster has pointed out that Zemo had some similar motivations - loss of his family because of the Avengers - which was a better reason than "I'm the bad guy, that's what we do." Sadly, I can't even remember the actor's name - sorry, but I guess he's not Tom Hiddleston! And c'mon, how many of us would LOVE a stand-alone Loki movie??? Maybe the villain could be Taylor Swift?Sly Yeah, I went there!Wink

Rohan

Sep 13 2016, 8:55pm

Post #24 of 27 (1042 views)
Shortcut
But then this begs the question: [In reply to] Can't Post

How did Thanos come to know about the then unformed and unproven Avengers? Why would he feel they would be pose as a viable opposition to Loki and the Chitauri army? I'm all for taking certain leaps of faith in fantasy narratives and suspending my disbelief if the internal logic is sound (as it was in Civil War), but I feel like too much of the plot of The Avengers didn't make sense for me to take those leaps and suspend that disbelief fully.

It's still a fine and fun film, but it just doesn't compare to what the Russo Brothers were able to accomplish with theirs (which is really the best Avengers movie even though it technically isn't one).

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Sep 13 2016, 8:56pm)

Rohan

Sep 13 2016, 8:57pm

Post #25 of 27 (1042 views)
Shortcut
But yeah, Loki is the bees knees [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome character and performance.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.