First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 8 2016, 2:16pm

Post #1 of 54 (3035 views)
Shortcut
When did they start writing the script? Can't Post

Just wondering. 2009, 2010?

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 8 2016, 8:27pm

Post #2 of 54 (2949 views)
Shortcut
2008 [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo announced here that he'd signed on to direct in April, and by May was already making veiled comments about the design and script process - for instance talking about how things would play out "beat by beat", which indicates they were talking about story outlines and pacing at that stage.

Of course, the green light delay and Guillermo's departure must have created a lot of reworking of things later on, but we didn't really get details on what or how extensive any script revisions might have been.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 8 2016, 11:40pm

Post #3 of 54 (2916 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it true that Guillermo only worked in the first film? I read this somewhere. And as you can see AUJ is quite different, in terms of story and visual, from the other two.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 9 2016, 3:19am

Post #4 of 54 (2894 views)
Shortcut
GdT's contributions [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo del Toro worked on all three films in the sense that elements of the third were already a part of the two-film treatment. It was GdT who determined that the book of The Hobbit would be best split in two if it was not to be condensed into a single movie. That was when the idea for the 'bridge film' was abandoned.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 9 2016, 1:55pm

Post #5 of 54 (2853 views)
Shortcut
Bridge film [In reply to] Can't Post

Would this be a film telling the events after There and Back Again and before The Fellowship of the Ring? Sounds like a interesting idea.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Sep 9 2016, 1:59pm

Post #6 of 54 (2840 views)
Shortcut
Okatu gave me ideas for a Aragorn prequel. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 9 2016, 2:05pm

Post #7 of 54 (2838 views)
Shortcut
The Bridge Film [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Would this be a film telling the events after There and Back Again and before The Fellowship of the Ring? Sounds like a interesting idea.

That was roughly the idea. I think that the White Council's assault on Dol Guldur and other material from LotR and the Appendices would have made it into that film as well instead of being folded into the main narrative. I don't know how far into the timeline it would have explored, but it could have conceivably covered some of Aragorn and Arwen's backstory as well, perhaps incorporating the unused flashback from LotR where the pair become betrothed. It might have even concluded with Gandalf asking Aragorn to set a watch on the Shire, but don't quote me on that.

Keep in mind that I am largely speculating here and relying on imperfect memory. The original plan was for one film that would be a straight-forward adaptation of The Hobbit and another movie that would cover events outside of the main narrative and between TH and LotR.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 9 2016, 2:12pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 9 2016, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 54 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Sound great because [In reply to] Can't Post

all that Necromancer narrative wouldn't be interrupting and taking the focus from the main quest. It's your speculations but hell yeah.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

(This post was edited by DainPig on Sep 9 2016, 2:09pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 9 2016, 2:18pm

Post #9 of 54 (2818 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn: The Eagle of the Star [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Okatu gave me ideas for a Aragorn prequel.

And I still think that a 'Young Aragorn' movie derived from JRRT's "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" has great potential; although the timeline would need to be tweaked if it has to conform to the Peter Jackson films.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 9 2016, 2:18pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 1:44am

Post #10 of 54 (2768 views)
Shortcut
Who says they actually wrote a script? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 7:37pm

Post #11 of 54 (2726 views)
Shortcut
They did. [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't they?

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Morthoron
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 7:41pm

Post #12 of 54 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

They didn't really follow the book, so if there was a script I don't think they followed that either. Wink

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 8:02pm

Post #13 of 54 (2719 views)
Shortcut
Good boy, you're being a good hater [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep following your internet masters, they must be very proud [evil laugh] EvilEvil

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 8:11pm

Post #14 of 54 (2713 views)
Shortcut
I think you may be correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe there was no script at all and PJ just winged it!

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 9:01pm

Post #15 of 54 (2705 views)
Shortcut
No, there was a script [In reply to] Can't Post

If you watch the appendices you will see that they have a script.

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 9:06pm

Post #16 of 54 (2700 views)
Shortcut
oh ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen the appendices, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 9:07pm

Post #17 of 54 (2700 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They didn't really follow the book, so if there was a script I don't think they followed that either. Wink

They did follow the book and they did follow the script. Just watch the appendices and you will see the script.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 9:11pm

Post #18 of 54 (2701 views)
Shortcut
Bonus question: [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you see the movies?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 9:15pm

Post #19 of 54 (2698 views)
Shortcut
You should [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've never seen the appendices, so I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying.

You should watch them, they are fun,interesting and you will understand how much the films are close to the book.

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 9:20pm

Post #20 of 54 (2694 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I've seen enough. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 10:12pm

Post #21 of 54 (2686 views)
Shortcut
Double bonus question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does "enough" really mean "the trailers?"

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 10 2016, 10:32pm

Post #22 of 54 (2680 views)
Shortcut
He has probably seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

But didn't get the "soul". His mind has been poisoned by stupid critics such "it has nothing to do with the book" and "three films is too much". Nowadays people watch films expecting to see what they want, that's why they get disappointed.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 10:45pm

Post #23 of 54 (2674 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thankfully I've managed to avoid allowing the soul of PJ's Hobbit from taking over my mind.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but is it really so unreasonable for a fan of the book to want the movie adaptation to be as faithful as possible, and to be disappointed when it turns out poorly?

(This post was edited by wizzardly on Sep 10 2016, 10:46pm)

Rohan

Sep 10 2016, 11:55pm

Post #24 of 54 (2658 views)
Shortcut
Criticisms like the ones mentioned *are* stupid, though, no? [In reply to] Can't Post

Understand, I'm not going to be bold or ignorant enough to claim these critics are stupid, but let's take the first example: the films quite obviously have a lot to do with the book (not opinion, fact; every chapter and major event is present and accounted for) and if there's a person who is seriously making the claim "it has nothing to do with the book" with a straight face has - at least - questionable judgment, right? At the very least, the criticism is stupid, even if the person's judgment is otherwise impeccable. And who's say is it how many films an adaptation should be? Most here on these very boards seem to have no problem with a two-film adaptation of The Hobbit, but why is that? The book is shorter than any single LotR installment. Also, the claim "three films is too much" carries with it the assumption that the expanded and added content can't be of much artistic worth and is, in fact, a critique that sidesteps what is actually presented within the films. So, this is another stupid criticism. The critic may be a smart guy or lass, but their criticism is stupid.

As to your question, wizzardly, the best answer I believe is a yes and a no. It is unreasonable to want the film adaptation to follow every crossed t and dotted i from the book because otherwise what's the point? We could all just go read the book. It also handcuffs the artist doing the adapting to be able to really adapt anything, because adaptation, by definition, denotes changing things. It also assumes the new artist couldn't possibly have anything decent or worthwhile to add to the material, which is simply arrogant. In my opinion, this is the worst kind of fandom. However, it is not unreasonable to be disappointed when an adaptation turns out poorly. But whether or not an adaptation turns out well or poorly almost never relies on precisely how faithful the fresh take is on the old one. Every single work of art must work (or not work) on its own merits. The Hobbit works (or doesn't; I believe it does) because of what Tolkien wrote and how he wrote it. The Hobbit works (or doesn't; I believe it does) because of how P.J. and co. wrote it and how P.J. directed it.

EDIT: I took your post to be sarcasm, DainPig, based on past posts I've seen by you. If I read you wrong, I apologize, but my points remain valid.

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Sep 11 2016, 12:01am)

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 11 2016, 12:23am

Post #25 of 54 (2648 views)
Shortcut
My post was not sarcasm [In reply to] Can't Post

Not at all.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.