Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
When did they start writing the script?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Morthoron
Gondor

Sep 12 2016, 11:29pm

Post #51 of 54 (938 views)
Shortcut
A few things... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...people do it all the time. But, anyone that knows Tolkien's character would understand that his 'purist' followers take him and his work far more seriously than he ever did.

I would suggest that a man who wrote over 350 letters to various people regarding the books during his lifetime, and then on his passing bequeathed enough material on Middle-earth (beyond the published books) so that his son could release a twelve volume set of reference material, was very serious about the subject.

When I read comments like this, I often wonder if the poster has even bothered to study the subject in question. Idle chat that passes for opinion is not an informed opinion. Or to take Treebeard out of context, "there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain't."

In Reply To
I disagree that Tolkien did not want others to expand upon his world.

What foundation do you have to make that statement? Really, I'd like to hear it.

In Reply To
I also strongly disagree that Tolkien would have responded in the same manner to the film universe as his son. I think his son has fallen into the same 'purist' trap, as much as I appreciate what he has done.

Again, what basis have you to make such an assumption? Christopher Tolkien worked side-by-side with his father. His father chose him as the sole executor of his written material. Do you know your father better than some stranger making baseless statements about him?

When Christopher Tolkien said that Peter Jackson "eviscerated" his father's story, the son chose a word his philological father might have used in the same case, because it has two meanings: 'to disembowel', violently gutting someone with a knife; but also to 'deprive something of its essential content'. I believe both meanings are germane to what C.T. was saying because he was referring to how Jackson made the story into a Hollywood action movie for prepubescent teenagers. The nuance and symbology subsumed in the story was stripped away. To Christopher Tolkien, the essential nature of the story that his father wrote mountains of material on, editorialized about and defended on several levels, was denuded. Because the son knew the father's intentions.

And why do you use the word 'purist' as something like an obscenity? Couldn't the same be said for Lego-lusting fangirls gushing over GQ model dwarves and demographically-placed fake characters inserted for marketing purposes? The argument goes both ways.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

wizzardly
Rohan

Sep 12 2016, 11:47pm

Post #52 of 54 (928 views)
Shortcut
Your posts are a joy to read! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! Smile

Ringtir
Rivendell

Sep 13 2016, 3:53am

Post #53 of 54 (916 views)
Shortcut
But how much did CT see of LOTR? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't understand why he says that thing of "eviscerate", specially because he never gave some detailed review, just bad criticizing.

Maybe the movie has resume the story, but still catches the essence of the hobbits, the elves, and the corrupting man (oh, yes, Aragorn, he is superpowerful and never corrupted by anything... Great character JRR!)

Also catches the beauty of the environments, the profound story of the forest, the astonishing power of the great mountains, and the deep mistery of the caves.

I don't know. Everything is there, nature, relationship, corruption, honour, friendship, the love for simple things. And action... Wait, action?

Sooooo, take a look to the books and let's see if there is any action in the original source...

Sorry Christopher, you should rewatch the movies, or reread your parent work.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Oct 29 2019, 3:27pm

Post #54 of 54 (177 views)
Shortcut
Definitely correct. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.