Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Well, The Pollantir seems to have ‘dried up’ somewhat, sooo...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Well, The Pollantir seems to have ‘dried up’ somewhat, sooo...
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Undecided
Other (write in)
View Results (65 votes)

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 12 2016, 3:18am

Post #51 of 68 (766 views)
Shortcut
     WOW [In reply to]  

That is downright hilarious.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 14 2016, 8:05pm

Post #52 of 68 (732 views)
Shortcut
     Me neither, since 1972 :-) // [In reply to]  

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2016, 11:14am

Post #53 of 68 (723 views)
Shortcut
     May I just cheer this answer? [In reply to]  

I'm not in the US so couldn't answer the poll anyway but if I could, I wouldn't.

We have secret ballots for a good reason and past generations would have envied us that right. I can never see any point in throwing it away. I don't know what things are like in the US right now, but there seems to be such bitterness in the UK right now over politics, and who voted what recently (and even over who is perceived to have been likely to have voted one way rather than another). Toleration seems to be a lost art...

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 15 2016, 2:38pm

Post #54 of 68 (720 views)
Shortcut
     As someone who is neither American nor lives in the USA I am not elligble to vote... [In reply to]  

...but if I was I'd have probably voted for Bernie Sanders if he had won the Democratic Nomination Unsure

I'm not overly fond of either of the final candidates so I'd be tempted to abstain from voting (i.e I definitely wouldn't vote for Trump...but really not sure whether I would vote for Clinton...), but as I said, not American so I'm rather ignorant of US politics and I'd probably feel very different it it was the future of my own country at stake

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 15 2016, 9:54pm

Post #55 of 68 (717 views)
Shortcut
     Tracking this poll is somewhat...disturbing. [In reply to]  

I did not expect so much support for the Master of Lake-town...I mean The Donald. Has an unclothed Nazgűl been whispering into peoples' ears?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 15 2016, 9:59pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2016, 11:09pm

Post #56 of 68 (703 views)
Shortcut
     I just had a really disturbing image [In reply to]  

of an unclothed Nazgul. Thanks for that.

Shocked

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 16 2016, 5:35am

Post #57 of 68 (670 views)
Shortcut
     If a Nazgul is unclothed, [In reply to]  

and you put on the one ring, does this mean you see way, way more than you wanted to?

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 16 2016, 5:37am

Post #58 of 68 (672 views)
Shortcut
     I wouldn't worry [In reply to]  

It is hardly a scientific poll so I don't think you can read anything into the result.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 16 2016, 3:37pm

Post #59 of 68 (656 views)
Shortcut
     This thread is about to be locked [In reply to]  

It's comments like this, and a few others, in this thread (several of which have been edited or deleted), that confirm our tendency not allow political threads here.

EVERYONE is welcome here at TORn as long as they follow our terms of service. That includes conservatives, independents, libertarians, greens, and even purples and blues for that matter. To imply that something is wrong because a candidate you don't like is ahead is the same as implying there's something wrong with people who support him or her, which is very unwelcoming to your fellow TORnsibs who do.

There have been some comments in this thread that are very close to attacks on one candidate or another and that's bad enough as that kind of anger and emotion isn't good for this place. But, when it starts being directed at each other, we draw the line.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 16 2016, 5:39pm

Post #60 of 68 (650 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, a shame [In reply to]  

Could you possible leave it open for "Votes Only"?

No comments of any kind allowed, or ALL comments deleted ? Angelic

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 16 2016, 8:24pm

Post #61 of 68 (647 views)
Shortcut
     What with warrants already out for their arrests... [In reply to]  

...Jill Stein and Ajumu Baraka of the Green Party are already revealing themselves as true presidential and vice-presidential material.

Great platform, too.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 16 2016, 8:39pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 16 2016, 8:38pm

Post #62 of 68 (637 views)
Shortcut
     Do what ya gotta do. [In reply to]  

I don't wish to offend anyone here, Altaira, but I honestly believe that opposition to this particular candidate is a civic duty and that I would be irresponsible to keep quiet. I have endeavored, though, to keep my comments civil and even a bit humorous (if satirical). I'm sorry if you feel that I've crossed a line..

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 16 2016, 9:25pm

Post #63 of 68 (626 views)
Shortcut
     I think – for a quick moment until we get locked [In reply to]  

That these oh-so wise words of Altaira should be reread and contemplated by everyone:

To imply that something is wrong because a candidate you don't like is ahead is the same as implying there's something wrong with people who support him or her, which is very unwelcoming to your fellow TORnsibs who do.

I reckon that is one reason why I have mentioned more than once, “Just a simple vote would be best methinks.”

And I ask again, please vote (vote only) in this poll. I thank 'ee.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 16 2016, 9:29pm

Post #64 of 68 (623 views)
Shortcut
     I think the line here crosses the line sometimes [In reply to]  

But, as someone who considers myself strongly on the side of the things that America should - and used to - stand for, though it mostly does not anymore, I respect that this is a privately run forum and that those in charge can do what they like when they like because they feel like it. Regarding this election, one thing is abundantly clear to me: whoever wins, we lose.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 16 2016, 11:32pm

Post #65 of 68 (609 views)
Shortcut
     I meant: it's about to be locked if it doesn't calm down [In reply to]  

People are welcome to say who they're voting for (or against) if they're so inclined. It's when they feel they have to insult the candidate they don't like, or people who seemingly aren't going to vote like they are, to make their point that the line is crossed.

As I said, some comments have come right up to the line, or crossed it, and I know some people have already felt it's gone too far. That's not what TORn is here for.

Like it or not, as we can see from past elections, the U.S. is split almost down the middle in terms of leaning left or right. Those who think differently than you or me are our neighbors, our co-workers and, yes, our TORnsibs. They want prosperity for the country, themselves and their families just as much as you do, they just believe in different ways of getting there. It certainly doesn't mean they're bad, stupid, racist, or any other negative connotation one can throw out. Are there some bad apples? Of course there are - on both 'sides.' But to paint almost 1/2 of the U.S. population, on either 'side', with broad brushes is very close-minded.

There's a wide spectrum of different political views that generally balance each other out, and compliment each other. They keep us from tipping too far to the left or the right. Of course, we don't ever reach perfection. There are always things that are broken, or unfair, or unjust, but eventually, together the varying viewpoints usually come up with a solution everyone can live with.

So, as passionate as anyone here may be about what they believe in, there are people just as passionate that disagree. Both have a welcome place here.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 17 2016, 3:40am

Post #66 of 68 (575 views)
Shortcut
     Oh my, you have said [In reply to]  

with such articulateness and understanding much of what I have been thinking throughout this thread. But I didn’t want to get involved in what would surely be a no-win political discussion. As you stated with much more eloquence than I could ever, we must remember that If one is vehemently in favor of one candidate, for whatever reason, he or she must remember that +-50% of the voters have an opposite viewpoint.

I had a fear that my poll could turn quickly south, and tried, quite unsuccessfully for sure, to nip it in the bud in my OP, by discouraging comment, and only voting. (Should’a known better.)

I’m sure (at least hopeful) that any further comments will be more civil after your coherent clarification. And thank you for having the patience to not lock-us-up.

Sooo - the race is still on folks. Let’s have your vote.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 17 2016, 3:55am

Post #67 of 68 (569 views)
Shortcut
     This thread has been locked [In reply to]  

This is a good lesson in realizing that when someone starts a thread here, it does not 'belong' to you. Once posted, it becomes the 'property' of those who want to participate. It's theirs to take in whatever direction they wish, including going off-topic. And in the case of a poll, the users here may end up voting in a way that the person who starts the poll doesn't agree with. Tough cookies. Once posted every thread becomes the venue of the users, or voters, to take where they wish.

Unfortunately, due to the inability of a few people to let other users vote in ways they don't agree with, everyone's voices will be stopped, including those of the people who agree with them. Crazy

In addition, this is the official death-knell of political posts on these forums. It seems that even the most 'reasonable' among us can't resist making jabs at the 'other side' which only serves to divide this community which would otherwise be united in our love of Tolkien.

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 17 2016, 4:16am

Post #68 of 68 (564 views)
Shortcut
     Unfortunately [In reply to]  

A subsequent comment was made by someone else who just couldn't resist continuing to push their own agenda (deleted). Thanks mostly to them, but also to the general direction the comments were going, the thread has been locked.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.