Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Well, The Pollantir seems to have ‘dried up’ somewhat, sooo...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Well, The Pollantir seems to have ‘dried up’ somewhat, sooo...
Hillary Clinton
Donald Trump
Undecided
Other (write in)
View Results (65 votes)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 1 2016, 1:44pm

Post #1 of 68 (2174 views)
Shortcut
     Well, The Pollantir seems to have ‘dried up’ somewhat, sooo...  

...who would you vote for if you were to vote today for president?

I don’t want this to turn into a political slug-fest but comments or reasonings are acceptable but discouraged. Just a simple vote would be best methinks.

Non-voters (the underage, non-Americans, etc.) may vote in this poll even though this might skew reality some small amount.

*Just curious as to the mindset of my TORnsibs*

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2016, 3:32pm

Post #2 of 68 (1993 views)
Shortcut
     The Lesser of Two Evils [In reply to]  

Hillary Clinton might not be everything I want in a candidate, but better her in the White House (again) than the Donald who might be the worst candidate to ever receive his party's nomination.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 1 2016, 3:36pm

Post #3 of 68 (1993 views)
Shortcut
     we have a wonderful thing in the US [In reply to]  

the secret ballot.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2016, 4:18pm

Post #4 of 68 (1986 views)
Shortcut
     Yes... [In reply to]  

But this is more of an informal poll.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 1 2016, 7:22pm

Post #5 of 68 (1972 views)
Shortcut
     ...and a wonderful thing on TORn . . . [In reply to]  

. . . 'The Pollantir' and its secret vote (I think), if one wishes to remain anonymous.

In Reply To
we have a wonderful thing in the US . . . the secret ballot.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 1 2016, 8:08pm

Post #6 of 68 (1944 views)
Shortcut
     Yes :-) // [In reply to]  

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2016, 8:08pm

Post #7 of 68 (1949 views)
Shortcut
     Canadian [In reply to]  

so I am very, very thankful I do not have to vote in it. I stopped watching it months ago. So much venom being spewed back and forth.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 1 2016, 8:09pm

Post #8 of 68 (1955 views)
Shortcut
     I'll vote in the poll but I won't discuss. [In reply to]  

I do more of that than I should on facebook.

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Sep 1 2016, 11:02pm

Post #9 of 68 (1924 views)
Shortcut
     Lucky [In reply to]  

In Reply To
so I am very, very thankful I do not have to vote in it. I stopped watching it months ago. So much venom being spewed back and forth.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 1 2016, 11:04pm

Post #10 of 68 (1926 views)
Shortcut
     No real commentary... [In reply to]  

just publicly 'owning' my vote for 'Other (write-in)', because my party affiliation is known here, and that should say it all. ;)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2016, 11:53pm

Post #11 of 68 (1914 views)
Shortcut
     I will vote in November [In reply to]  

though unfortunately it will be more of a NOT HIM rather than a YES to her

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 2 2016, 1:48am

Post #12 of 68 (1905 views)
Shortcut
     I suspect that if the ballot could list "None of the above" [In reply to]  

that would be the winner by a landslide.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 2 2016, 6:02am

Post #13 of 68 (1888 views)
Shortcut
     Well [In reply to]  

If you are eligible to vote, please, please do.
It is not only the USA that will be affected by the outcome.
Don't even get me started...

Edited to say: this is a general comment, and is not directed at Bracegirdle.

(This post was edited by Starling on Sep 2 2016, 6:03am)

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 2 2016, 2:59pm

Post #14 of 68 (1853 views)
Shortcut
     I will not be voting [In reply to]  

Which is a vote, as far as I'm concerned. None of these people have any business running the United States and I won't vote for a 'lesser evil" on principal. The only thing on our side of the fence that would have a chance at upsetting the status quo is if everyone just stayed home instead of filing into the booths. A change in the way the very system is run would be in order and that's the key. Either party is going to further along the same basic agendas as it's their sponsors and lobbyists they will answer to and reward - not us lowly citizens.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2016, 12:09am

Post #15 of 68 (1821 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, vote [In reply to]  

The presidential election is only one item on the ballot. Local and state items are decided too. Low voter turnout only ensures that fewer people get a voice. If you don't want to choose between Clinton and Trump mark none or the third party candidate but vote on the other items.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 3 2016, 12:53pm

Post #16 of 68 (1788 views)
Shortcut
     To Sevilodorf you must listen! [In reply to]  

Making a statement by not voting is completely indistinguishable from apathy; if you want to make your statement heard, you need to cast that ballot. I totally understand not wanting to vote for either of the two leading candidates and I haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to vote 3rd party or write in a candidate I liked who didn't make it through the primaries. Either one of those is a much better way to express discontent than simply not voting.

And you can still make a difference in lower levels of government. Find out who's running for senate or governor or mayor, or whoever else is on your local ballot, and let that vote speak for your opinions on the state of the nation.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 3 2016, 8:15pm

Post #17 of 68 (1759 views)
Shortcut
     Great post, Meneldor [In reply to]  

That is kind of what I was wanting to say, but I don't understand your system well enough to be clear about it.
This 'not voting is a legitimate vote' thing really worries me. And it certainly doesn't only happen in the USA.
I have voted in 10 general elections. Sometimes I have felt like my vote really counted, other times it felt like a tiny drop in an ocean of ignorance. But not for a moment would I consider failing to exercise my right to stand in that polling booth.

One of the reasons I do like our MMP system here is that I can split my vote between parties if I want to. Last time I voted for one party (to try and give them enough of a proportion to be able to form a coalition), and gave my candidate vote to a local guy from a different party who appealed.
None of this worked, of course, as we are still ruled by a money grubbing fake 'smiling assassin' and his cronies, hell bent on sending NZ into a polluted, poverty stricken hole...
But that's another story.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 3 2016, 8:40pm

Post #18 of 68 (1750 views)
Shortcut
     Correction? [In reply to]  

Sevilodorf IS going to vote (posts 11 & 15). I believe your comments were meant for TheOnlyOneAround (post 14)?

And I agree – to not vote at all shows apathy. And if one thinks both candidates are in some way evil to not vote at all is a greater evil, and you lose your whining privileges.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 3 2016, 8:51pm

Post #19 of 68 (1738 views)
Shortcut
     Not needed [In reply to]  

Meneldor is asking the poster to listen to Sevilodorf. He's just written his post title in Yoda-speak. Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2016, 9:31pm

Post #20 of 68 (1722 views)
Shortcut
     While I agree a fair bit with this... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
we are still ruled by a money grubbing fake 'smiling assassin' and his cronies, hell bent on sending NZ into a polluted, poverty stricken hole...

...we also have weak or laughable alternatives for PM.

Andrew Little has let me down badly. I expected so much more from him - competence with policies, for a start.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 3 2016, 9:36pm

Post #21 of 68 (1718 views)
Shortcut
     Totally agree [In reply to]  

He is not Prime Minister material, sadly.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2016, 10:08pm

Post #22 of 68 (1719 views)
Shortcut
     I haven't missed an election [In reply to]  

since I was allowed to vote *ahem* years ago and that includes the mid-terms.

We've got some important races on the ballot besides the presidential one. I'll be voting in that one too but I'm less than thrilled with any of the 4 choices. My person didn't make it out of the primaries either.

As far as I"m concerned, it is not only a privilege to vote, it's an honor that I take very seriously. And this time around, I have 3 of my kids voting, 2 of them in their first presidential election. They are excited to be participating. I'm excited that they are excited!

Participate or not but if "Not" is the box chosen, whinging privileges are forfeit.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 3 2016, 11:54pm

Post #23 of 68 (1702 views)
Shortcut
     Guess I misunderstood.. [In reply to]  

Seems I'm not on top of my Yoda-speak. Blush

Seemed an admonition directly to said non-voting poster.

In Reply To
He's just written his post title in Yoda-speak. Cool

Gianna
Rohan

Sep 4 2016, 12:33am

Post #24 of 68 (1701 views)
Shortcut
     Canadian, thank goodness... [In reply to]  

...although Trudeau is an absolute horror. If I were American I would be voting third party.

(This post was edited by Gianna on Sep 4 2016, 12:35am)

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Sep 4 2016, 4:25am

Post #25 of 68 (1683 views)
Shortcut
     You may consider it apathy [In reply to]  

I consider it having lost all faith in the American democratic process. Any cursory study into the various controversial, sketchy and sometimes downright inaccurate elections (both local and federal) of the past 130 years will at least begin to raise one of those eyebrows.

But sure, call it apathy. I call it saving gas money.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.