Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"The Hobbit" as elf-centric, or "The LOTR" as dwarf-centric?

enanito
Rohan

Aug 29 2016, 10:50pm

Post #1 of 5 (1323 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit" as elf-centric, or "The LOTR" as dwarf-centric? Can't Post

So we have in "The Hobbit" a tale where the world of M.E. is seen through traveling with dwarves. Sure we see Elrond and Thranduil's kingdoms a bit, but our experience is dwarf-centric. In many ways, I'd argue that much of the LOTR is elf-centric. Or at least, even though we travel with Gimli and see Moria first-hand, our exposure to dwarves is minimal, whereas we get much more insight into Elvish culture and the like.

Does anyone think Tolkien could have created "The Hobbit" as an elf-centric tale, or "The LOTR" as dwarf-centric? I don't mean to have the discussion veer off into reasons why each work came to be the way it is, how Tolkien's world-building would have required LOTR to be a story with Elves at the center, or that kind of scholarly discussion (but if that's where people take it, n.p.!).

I was just considering if the tale of "The Hobbit" could somehow have been written as an elven quest of sorts, and still accomplished Tolkien's objectives when he was writing the story. Or in reality, would anything other than how it turned out, have required too many major alterations to the 3rd Age? Could 3rd Age elves realistically have a quest like Thorin and Co. did?

And could LOTR have somehow been more dwarf-centric? Or likewise, would this have drastically altered the theme of 3rd Age loss, centered on the Elves with the dwarven kingdoms essentially taking a backseat to the storyline?

I am not suggesting that this is desired or preferred!! Simply thinking out loud whether it could have even worked.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 30 2016, 12:16am

Post #2 of 5 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Is LotR Elf-centric? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, we do have a few more Elves than Dwarves, especially the lovely stopover in Lorien, but the major theme is that the time of the Elves is ending, the time of Men has come.The Sil is totally Elf-centric, with Men mostly an afterthought except for a few exceptions. But the big heroes of LotR are Men and Hobbits (who are sort of subset of Men).

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2016, 12:45am

Post #3 of 5 (1304 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit is Dwarf focused but not centric [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is the center .... everything is through his lens.

Just as LOTR is hobbit lensed with IMHO Man focused.

If the dwarves had told (as I'm sure they do) the tale of Erebor it would probably have been far more politically correct .... the Elves would always be wrong, the Dwarves always right and Thorin would not have mean a megalomaniac but a misunderstood leader in a situation forced upon him by those cursed Elves..

Rewriting from another view is interesting... Take Helm's Deep.... imagine the pov of a Dunlend warrior... did he choose or did he end up there due to his leader's decisions... how does he really feel about fighting alongside Orcs?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2016, 9:13pm

Post #4 of 5 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Just thinking about this [In reply to] Can't Post

If The Hobbit had been written as an elf centric quest what role would Bilbo have played? It's very difficult to imagine elves needing a hobbit to rescue them at any point, so would Bilbo have grown and changed in the same way on an elf quest, or would he have been, in his own words, just baggage on the trip? Would 13 elf warriors have been captured by orcs and spiders? And more importantly, would they all have rhyming names? Tongue Laugh

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 7 2016, 10:35am

Post #5 of 5 (1095 views)
Shortcut
I always thought of both The Hobbit and LOTR as hobbit-centric [In reply to] Can't Post

Both are told with a hobbit as a central character around whom the story focuses. They are a purely Tolkien-created character not seen in any other literature where dwarves and elves are both seen elsewhere (albeit not necessarily in the same forms or ways that Tolkien used them). Making his stories dwarf- or elf-centric to me would make them more... errrr... generic; just another fantasy story. It's the hobbits and how they react to exploring the larger Middle Earth world outside their hometown Shire is what makes them unique for me, and charming and inspiring too. We do see other realms and our fearless hobbits interact with all manner of living beings, but the frame of reference is always through their eyes.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.