The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
I just finished a recap of the LOTR Caption Contest winners

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 26 2016, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 15 (2685 views)
Shortcut
I just finished a recap of the LOTR Caption Contest winners Can't Post

Why? Because I’m retired and ain’t got nothin’ better to do… ‘sides I fell down and tweaked my knee. I was told by my chiropractor that I had likely bruised my medial collateral ligament. (Of course I already knew that and just wanted a second opinion Wink.) Anyway, I was told to sit in front of the computer with my leg elevated and some ice on it, and take an ibuprofen and call him in the morning. Well, I got home and realized I’d forgotten to ask my chiropractor which leg to elevate . . ah well.. Smile

Anyway I can’t do any serious hiking or hundred-yard-dashes for a while; but being threescore and fourteen I haven’t done any hundred-yard-dashes for several months anyway Laugh. But I HAVE to take my two Yorkies for a slow and careful walk every morning. Ya know, those Yorkies have an accurate inbred clock of some kind. And when you get that “Yorkie sideways head-tilt” you just gotta take them for their daily sniff-fest and poop-a-roo. The cutsie little buggers.

This all reminds me of the one-legged guy who slip and fell at the Stop-and-Go and sued the company. He lost the suit because he didn’t have a leg to stand on. Wink
Or the Mary Poppins joke: ”I used to know a guy with a wooden leg named Smith.” “Oh really. What was the name of his other leg?”

Ok, I know my problems and daily routine are really really interesting and everyone would like to hear a whole lot more, but, I’m sorry, the couch calls. So onward with the contest roundup . . .

Herein is a list of winners starting with the most wins (and guess what?) ending with the least, up to and through Contest #120 or CXX… whatever.
There are many with a single win which I have not listed. Sorry! Evil Nothing personal I assure you.

Ataahua: 10 *Thunderous cheering and applause!*
Darkstone: 8
BlackFox: 7
Meneldor: 7 ½ (see Bracegirdle WAY down there)
SirDennisC: 7
Zarabia: 6
Silverlode: 5
Dormouse: 5
CuriousG: 5
Lissuin: 5
Loresilme: 5
StingingFly: 4
Cats16: 3
Arwen’sDaughter: 3
DanielLB: 3
Brethil: 3
Belegdir: 3
Bracegirdle: 2 ½ (this ½ win should rightfully belong to Meneldor, bringing his total to 8 and mine to a nice round 2, as he was chosen as the winner but was having computer problems, and I was second choice. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness Meneldor!)

Name: 2
Starling: 2
Otaku-Sempai: 2
Sador: 2
Maciliel: 2
Dernwyn: 2
Weathertop: 2

Apologies if I have miscounted anybody. Let me know and I’ll have my wife flog me severely. Pirate

And over Middle-earth he passed
and heard at last the weeping sore
of women and of elven-maids
in Elder Days, in years of yore.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2016, 12:56am

Post #2 of 15 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Reading posts like this makes me weak in the knees// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2016, 6:08am

Post #3 of 15 (2573 views)
Shortcut
Oh, goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you mend quickly! Shocked But I can't think of a better use of your downtime...and it has nothing to do with proving that "I'm number six! I'm number six!"Laugh

But seriously, take care and keep up the attitude Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Aug 27 2016, 6:08am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 28 2016, 3:26pm

Post #4 of 15 (2493 views)
Shortcut
Khm! [In reply to] Can't Post

*pulls out her own list and starts comparing it to Bracegirdle's* Evil

I can only find one small mistake in your list: sador has won 3 times. (And, to be fair, my wins include the inaugural contest and a subbing duty, so it should be 5, not 7 wins for me.)

Also, here are the names of all the one-time (as of yet) winners: Arannir, Bladerunner, CamdenMcAndrews, Dame Ioreth, FaramirAndEowynMorningStar, Gianna, hanne, Harold.of.Whoa, Kim, Na Vedui, noWizardme, Rembrethil, Ringtir, Starglass. Yep, think I got 'em all.

Get well soon, BG, and, please, never change! Laugh *crawls back to hiding*

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 28 2016, 4:56pm

Post #5 of 15 (2477 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for *crawling out* BlackFox [In reply to] Can't Post

I’d hoped that you might peek out of your fox-hole and set me to rights.

Actually I’m some surprised at only a single ‘major’ error as I run out of fingers (and toes) quite quickly these days… Laugh

I counted your initial ‘Title Contest’ as 1 for you and didn’t consider (or notice) your subbing duty. (Hmm, should we count that as a ½ win as with Meneldor and me, as I was in second place and a subber too. Guess not, gets too confusing.)

And apologies sador – you may join the esteemed ranking of the 3s… Smile

And the one-time winners – yep, you got ‘em all for my part. I don’t know why I didn’t include them – just lazy I guess. One timers deserve some credit too . . . CREDIT!! CREDIT!! Angelic

Please de-lurk whenever you get a chance. This site badly needs your fuzzy foxy levelheadedness.

And thanks to all for your good knee wishes. Never fear, I shall persevere.

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 28 2016, 6:52pm

Post #6 of 15 (2470 views)
Shortcut
Yup! There she is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you above ground and keeping an eye on us, Foxxy! Cheerio! Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 28 2016, 6:59pm

Post #7 of 15 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Aaaah - sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you heard that from a mouse! Wink

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 28 2016, 8:14pm

Post #8 of 15 (2454 views)
Shortcut
Aww, what a cutie! [In reply to] Can't Post

This alone was worth delurking. Glad to see you, Liss (and everybody else)! Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 29 2016, 2:47am

Post #9 of 15 (2435 views)
Shortcut
Nice job! Now, [In reply to] Can't Post

All we need is one of our resident math whizzes to state the numbers as ratios of wins over attempts... For instance, some of the players who won once or twice might actually be batting closer to 100 than those who've played more often.

Hopefully no one will have to twist a knee in order to find the time for such an endeavour.

Here's to your health Bracegirdle, and your pooches' continence.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 29 2016, 2:49am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2016, 12:57pm

Post #10 of 15 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Ratios you say? Good idea! Forth someone!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let’s see. I have given at least 110 captions out of the 120 with but 2 (and an undeserved ½) wins.
There are others who have given maybe a couple dozen or so captions with 3 or 4 wins.
So my ratio of wins over attempts would likely be near the bottom, whereas other’s ratios would be near the top (dang their humorous hides! Wink).

In Reply To
Hopefully no one will have to twist a knee in order to find the time for such an endeavour.

It would take me three hours and forty-seven minutes just to figure out my own ratio, so if this is an attempt to punish me into tackling such an outlandish impossible task, you can just fuhgeddaboudit. Shocked

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 30 2016, 6:29pm

Post #11 of 15 (2336 views)
Shortcut
Being the sharing type I am [In reply to] Can't Post

I will share my ratio: Two entries. Two wins. Cool

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 30 2016, 9:46pm

Post #12 of 15 (2322 views)
Shortcut
WOW! I say "WOW! Amazing!" [In reply to] Can't Post

2:2 Has GOT to make you the all-time top 'ratio' Captioneer. Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing. Smile

Can anybody match Starling??

Beats the deuce out my approximately one out of every 55 tries (1:55) (Har,de-har.. Smile). But I shall endeavor to persevere. Cool

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 31 2016, 5:55am

Post #13 of 15 (2308 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we counting the times your NZ WiFi was unable to load the 'Message Posted!' page in time before the winning caption was selected?

Just curious.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Aug 31 2016, 5:56am)

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 31 2016, 8:54am

Post #14 of 15 (2300 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea what you are talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2016, 7:11pm

Post #15 of 15 (2276 views)
Shortcut
*snort* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.