Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Guess it's time for a new What are you Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Aug 29 2016, 2:38am

Post #1 of 53 (1916 views)
Shortcut
Guess it's time for a new What are you Watching thread! Can't Post

Hiya - now that the Olympics are over, it's back to movies and looking forward to new upcoming fall tv shows.

I saw Florence Foster Jenkins this weekend - very sweet. Meryl Streep was her usual amazing self - how in the world did she manage to sing so badly on purpose? Wink

Looking forward to Timeless, a kind of sci-fi, going-back-in-time-to-change-the-past tv show that looks interesting.

So, what have you been watching and what are you looking forward to?

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2016, 3:03am

Post #2 of 53 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Florence Foster Jenkins for me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured this was one that both my mom and I could enjoy together and was right. There are other films I'd like to see if it were me alone, but this was great for mother and daughter time.

It started off seeming like it might be a bit "one note" (if you will Tongue), but it turned into something deeper. Maybe not a great film, but really nice and enjoyable. Of course Streep is great, but Grant was surprisingly nuanced and Simon Helberg held his own admirably.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 29 2016, 3:42am

Post #3 of 53 (1774 views)
Shortcut
fear the walking dead / episode 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

fear the walking dead / episode 9.

the writers make me so frustrated. the cast can certainly act. the writers just let them down week after week, having them do stupid things, which are often contrary to what has gone on the week (and weeks) before.

arrrgh. fear the walking dead makes the wakling dead look like tolstoy.

on the other hand, i just finished binging on star trek ds9 and voyager, and am currently binging on the (wonderful) poirot (suchet).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2016, 4:33am

Post #4 of 53 (1750 views)
Shortcut
The King and I [In reply to] Can't Post

One of our theaters played this classic 1956 movie starring the wonderful Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr. I don't think I've seen it since I was a child, so this many years later, I was looking forward to revisiting this musical. It was/is simply glorious! Ah, the songs...I remember so many of them once I heard them again. Yul Brynner was so magnificent as the King, with just the right amount of arrogance and humor, and so deserving of the Best Actor Oscar he won for it. I never knew Deborah Kerr didn't do her own singing in this, She was voiced by Marnie Nixon, who I learned also voiced Natalie Wood's character in West Side Story. Anyway, I had a great time revisiting this classic movie.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2016, 5:50am

Post #5 of 53 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Marni Nixon [In reply to] Can't Post

had quite the illustrious career supplying singing voices for stars in famous musicals. She also is the singing voice for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. I think the only place you see her onscreen singing as herself is as one of the nuns in The Sound of Music, with the line, "She waltzes on her way to Mass and whistles on the stair".

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 29 2016, 8:13am

Post #6 of 53 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Well, the 'looking forward to' bit is easy...... [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a new series of Poldark coming up in the autumn! Cool

As for the 'watching now', that's mostly DVDs or old episodes of NCIS when I watch anything at all. Our TV schedules tend to be a bit flat over the summer. They save the new things for the autumn.

But we do have - and I am watching - The Great British Bake Off. Compulsive stuff - and who'd have thought competitive cake making would be good television!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 29 2016, 1:40pm

Post #7 of 53 (1762 views)
Shortcut
My wife and I just finished watching the BBC show [In reply to] Can't Post

– Detectorists on Netflix.

What an absolutely well-written delight. Two seasons about . . . practically nothing.

No blood, no sex, no car crashes . . . oh my!

And over Middle-earth he passed
and heard at last the weeping sore
of women and of elven-maids
in Elder Days, in years of yore.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 29 2016, 1:54pm

Post #8 of 53 (1711 views)
Shortcut
The Last Kingdom [In reply to] Can't Post

Started watching it on Netflix - I believe they are picking up a second season, sure hope so! Funny, my hubby thinks Utred looks like Bard, haha! Greatly looking forward to a new "Poldark" season, Sept. 25th in the USA, woo hoo!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Annael
Immortal

Aug 29 2016, 2:11pm

Post #9 of 53 (1731 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to Timeless as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

Currently watching "A Gifted Man" on Netflix. One-season show starring Patrick Wilson as a driven neurosurgeon and Jennifer Ehle as his dead wife who haunts him into being a better person.

Rewatched all of "Sense8" before allowing myself to watch the season finale. Fingers crossed Netflix lets the Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski fulfill their five-year vision for this one (and that JMS keeps the Wachowskis on track). Love this show. The penultimate episode where each of the eight reexperienced their own birth was amazingly powerful, and the last episode was also quite satisfying with each contributing one of their strengths to help two of them get out of peril.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 29 2016, 2:12pm

Post #10 of 53 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Here it's the Great British Baking Show [In reply to] Can't Post

We just finished last year's version. I don't know either why it's such a great show. Maybe it's because I don't bake at all and have to admire those who do. And of course you have to love the way the different contestants help and encourage each other.

I always cringe, though, when the judges cut into a beautifully decorated cake or other item! I don't know how else they could taste it, though. A big straw? Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 29 2016, 2:13pm

Post #11 of 53 (1728 views)
Shortcut
I love Detectorists! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just ordinary (if quirky) people making lives for themselves. The ending to each season is absolutely perfect.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ciars
Rohan

Aug 29 2016, 5:32pm

Post #12 of 53 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Victoria... [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught the first episode of Victoria last night- ITV's new period drama and loved it! Jenna Louise Coleman plays Victoria and is well suited to the role, Eve Myles plays Mrs Jenkins the senior dresser to Victoria so there's familiar faces to any Dr Who/ Torchwood fans! Rufus Sewell is great as Lord Melbourne. All in all it was a promising start to the drama, certainly lots of intrigue/politics already, I felt sorry for the struggle the young Victoria faced at being accepted as queen, though probably heavily dramatised it really showed how the odds of succeeding were stacked against her at the start.
Love the return of The Great British Bakeoff as well, it's the interplay between the presenters Mel and Sue with Paul and Mary's good cop/ bad cop roles played to perfection, which keep me hooked-that and I have to admit the prospect of inevitable disasters have me tuning in rather than the stunning masterpieces that are produced(nope, definitely not jealous of the talents on display)!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 29 2016, 6:10pm

Post #13 of 53 (1721 views)
Shortcut
On Poldark [In reply to] Can't Post

So excited! My sisters and I love this show! My younger sister showed us the newest trailer for it and we are greatly excited for it!

On what I've watched lately, watched Strange Magic, and Fantastic Mr. Fox for animated movies, X2 and Mockingjay Part 2 for older movies, rewatched some of the second season of Lost and am continuing season 3 of Once Upon a Time. (I'm pretty behind on that!) Also, have been watching Fraiser on Netflix.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2016, 12:54am

Post #14 of 53 (1687 views)
Shortcut
The Shallows // Central Intelligence // Legend of Tarzan// plus live show Pageant of the Masters [In reply to] Can't Post

From the bottom up...

Pageant of the Masters -- Laguna Beach -- art show and then a two hour presentation of living tableaux of various masterpieces. My granddaughter was given fourth row tickets for this sold out performance. It was fantastic. Look it up online.

Tarzan -- 3rd viewing... owe it to the ERB society for the great swag bag from their conference.... I still say it doesn't deserve all the negatives it got. It's not the traditional Tarzan of the movies but then that Tarzan was no the Tarzan of the books... This one is closer to the books with subtle attempts to adjust for Burrough's world view.

Central Intelligence -- a large piece of fluff that's funny as long as you don't expect consistency in the plot. Not sure if they were trying to set up a team for sequels but I think they mined this one for all the jokes possible though as it did quite well at the box office on a small budget it probably will get a sequel.

The Shallows -- Jaws of 2016.... was doing a great job until she finally had to defeat the shark. That bit just wasn't well done.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Aug 30 2016, 3:32am

Post #15 of 53 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Doing a Gene Wilder marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched "Blazing Saddles" earlier, now on "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". Will try to fit in "Young Frankenstein" before I go to bed ...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2016, 3:58am

Post #16 of 53 (1698 views)
Shortcut
I saw Yul Brynner on stage in the King and I [In reply to] Can't Post

He was in his late 50s by then but he looked the same as in the movie. His first scene, he strode onstage, struck the iconic pose and the place went wild - a standing ovation just for walking on stage in that way he had in that character. It was a phenomenal show!

I can remember being in a summer stock production in our local youth theater group of the King and I. It was a lot of fun because the music is so good.

As for Marnie Nixon, she never did get the recognition she deserved. So many iconic characters and their music were brought to life by her voice. If you listen very carefully, you can tell where the hand-off is in the music. She had a clear, bell-like tone. Beautiful!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2016, 3:04pm

Post #17 of 53 (1653 views)
Shortcut
RE: Tarzan [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally agree with you sevilodorf. I think the new movie is far better than some critics said it was. Not everyone was negative about it though, but at most it got a lukewarm reception. And as I said before, some scenes from Tarzan's past were exactly as I envisioned them from the book. Exactly.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 30 2016, 3:07pm

Post #18 of 53 (1665 views)
Shortcut
What a treat! [In reply to] Can't Post

To see Yul Brynner perform this in person must have been fantastic! And yeah, that iconic pose!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 30 2016, 7:48pm

Post #19 of 53 (1651 views)
Shortcut
She died just last month. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the age of 86.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 30 2016, 8:01pm

Post #20 of 53 (1602 views)
Shortcut
You might also try "Start the Revolution Without Me" (1970). [In reply to] Can't Post

Co-starring Donald Sutherland.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2016, 9:23pm

Post #21 of 53 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Death in Paradise [In reply to] Can't Post

It's another one of those BBC formula-type murder mystery shows but it's fun and I love the music. It's set on Sainte Marie, an island in the Caribbean and features a fish-out-of-water detective transferred from London who learns to work with the local police force. The mysteries are fun but it's more fun watching the main character and the way his mind works. I've binged on the first 1.5 seasons on Netflix.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 30 2016, 11:42pm

Post #22 of 53 (1680 views)
Shortcut
"The Wink" -- twice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here for a thirty-second clip; I think it will be well worth your time. Click here if you can spare two minutes for an expanded version that puts that moment in context and really gives you a sense of what it was like to be there live when it happened.

Each August, the world's* best drum and bugle corps, which are souped-up summertime marching bands, gather for the Drum Corps International championships; after a few decades' peripatetic existence, these have been presented in Indianapolis for the past eight years.

The championships run from a Thursday through a Saturday, and since 2004, the first evening of competition has been simulcast to a number of cinemas across the U.S. (More recently, the second and third nights have been streamed online.) After seeing the first year's theater broadcast, I missed a few before catching it again in 2008 (as I noted here) and have seen it every year since. This year, I also attended the final night in person, having arranged to secure some excellent seats last winter, and this proved to be highly fortuitous, because for the first time ever, our local corps, the Bluecoats from Canton, Ohio, founded in 1972 (the year of my birth, as it happens), won the championship!

And in the process, one of their performers saw an opportunity to play to the camera, and, partly due to the exercise of a little discretion, thereby brought down the house at the finals. Even in the shorter of the two clips linked above, you can see his reaction when the audience's roar reaches his ears. (FYI, the song being performed is Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky".)

It was a very close match, though. The Bluecoats' winning score with their giant pink slides and custom-made jumpsuits was less than one point (out of one hundred) ahead of the second-place team, the Blue Devils from Concord, California, whose Tempest-themed presentation honored the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death, and the third-place troupe, Carolina Crown from Ft. Mill, South Carolina, performing a revenge-driven mix of spaghetti western music and Barber's Medea. Crown took top honors in brass performance, visual execution, and color guard, while Bluecoats nabbed best overall effect (the fourth-place corps, Santa Clara Vanguard, walked away took top honors in percussion performance).

Blue Devils, "As Dreams Are Made On":

Carolina Crown, "Relentless":

Some more shots of the Bluecoats, "Down Side Up":

Due to the incredible seats (on the 50-yard line and at a nice height), the history-making opportunity to see the local corps win, and the tight competition at the top between three superb shows in very different styles, this was one of the best performances I've attended, of any art form.

(The other nine corps on Saturday were nothing to sneeze at, either. I was particularly fond of the performance by a corps making their first finals appearance, the Academy, from Tempe, Arizona with the delightful "Drum Corpse Bride", as well as the political-media overload on offer from the Cavaliers, a perennial powerhouse from Rosemont, Illinois, whose "Propaganda" culminated with the collision of "Hillary" and "Trump" banners.)

*Strictly speaking, all of the competitors this year were North American, but occasionally there are corps from Europe or Asia in attendance, and I think it is fair to say based on comparisons in those years that the American corps are clearly the cream of the crop.

Original sources of photos: DCI, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Carolina Crown.

squire
Half-elven

Aug 31 2016, 12:21am

Post #23 of 53 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Connoisseurship is always impressive, in any field or art. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the report! I envy you the pleasure you had, with your perfect seat and hometown team at the top!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31 2016, 2:37am

Post #24 of 53 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Is that the one where they're twins, switched at birth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it!

I never pass up the chance to watch "Silver Streak".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 31 2016, 3:37am

Post #25 of 53 (1593 views)
Shortcut
My cousin's son was there with the Madison Scouts!! [In reply to] Can't Post

No actual comment, it's just cool when my worlds collide.

Smile

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.