Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I'm worried about this "Ultimate Collector's Edition"...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

smoff
Bree

Aug 23 2016, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 26 (3435 views)
Shortcut
I'm worried about this "Ultimate Collector's Edition"... Can't Post

The powers-that-be at Warner Bros obviously think that the UCE is what we all want, even though I personally think it's a complete rip off! They must have put this box set together thinking that it is going to sell like hot cakes - there's no other reason for them to do it. They're only in it for the money they'll make, which is perfectly understandable.

Only hardcore fans would part with $800 for a set of movies, but I reckon all hardcore fans will already have the films on offer here. How many will be willing to buy this set just for the nice packaging? Some, but not many. How many non-hardcore fans will be willing to spend this much? Even fewer.

But what's going to happen when this set doesn't sell as much as Warner Bros had hoped? Will they think "Well that didn't go very well, there is obviously no market for more Middle Earth releases"?

I'm worried that if what they think is the ultimate box set doesn't do very well, then we'll never get all the goodies we want and KNOW are out there. The Unicorn Edition will never materialise.

If at first you don't succeed, try again.
If you still don't succeed, give up - there's no point making yourself look stupid!

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 23 2016, 3:29pm

Post #2 of 26 (3340 views)
Shortcut
No point worrying... [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone at Warners has eyes and ears the general reaction to this set should make them think. It isn't only on this site, it seems to be everywhere and it seems to be about as close to unanimous as a spontaneous, scattered-round-the-world reaction could be.

And if this doesn't make them think, then maybe nothing will - as things stand. But for as long as extra material on the films exists there has to be a possibility that it will emerge at some point, in some way - it may just take a bit longer. Or not.

And in any case, worrying won't help. Chin up! I keep telling myself to be grateful to Warners for giving me a reason not to be tempted to spend that much money..... Evil

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 23 2016, 3:48pm

Post #3 of 26 (3328 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a good thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

In a way. I'd have to dig through a whole bunch of posts, but apparently WB said something to the effect in its own newsletter, that they knew a lot of folks couldn't afford this, so they were releasing the boxed theatrical versions tooUnimpressed - for the unwashed masses, apparently. (Not even bundled with a keychain, or something.....)

Doesn't that make me feel warm and fuzzy.Unimpressed

Agree with Nusilver's posts tho - IMO either WB needs a management overturn which will change its way of thinking not just about ME, but other properties - or these sets won't sell well, and a few years down the road someone will be looking for a product, and start agitating for an ME release WITH the unused footage, by way of triple-dipping the insatiable fansUnimpressed. It'll be an "anniversary edition" or "celebration edition" or some such thing.Unimpressed

Because by then, new/unseen material will be the only thing that would really attract folks who have bought the discs already. Making it even more evil, the edition might be partially or all digital download onlyFrown, since companies would love to get rid of discs. Or be "digtially remastered in uber 4D" or something.

Also, WB could sell/rent its rights so some other related party could do all the hard work while WB sits back and collects a percentage. Which IMO wouldn't be a bad thing, as I'd have to assume such a company might have a real interest. In the meantime hope WB is getting a lot of "feedback".Unimpressed

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 23 2016, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 26 (3290 views)
Shortcut
In regards to the newsletter [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the HobbitShop.com newsletter that said this, which I thought was pretty good they acknowledge the steep price.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"When faced with death, what can anyone do?" -Bilbo Baggins

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 23 2016, 8:12pm

Post #5 of 26 (3272 views)
Shortcut
Still waiting on that 'Ultimate Collection' [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a reason why this isn't labeled the 'Ultimate Collection'. There might still be one some day, but this isn't it.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Aug 23 2016, 10:18pm

Post #6 of 26 (3238 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I won't be buying this [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't buy it at $400.

"Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right... even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, YOU move.'"
- Captain America: Civil War

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 23 2016, 11:19pm

Post #7 of 26 (3222 views)
Shortcut
I would gladly pay $800 for this set.... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it came with a totally different version of The Hobbit. One that is based on the classic children's book by J.R.R. Tolkien.

(This post was edited by wizzardly on Aug 23 2016, 11:20pm)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 24 2016, 5:36am

Post #8 of 26 (3156 views)
Shortcut
The movie trilogy is based on The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

whether you want it or not. Just because it doesn't match 100% of your expectations doesn't mean it's ''not based'' on The Hobbit. The same way some people weren't satisfied with the LOTR adaptation either, despite you and a few others here claiming it's 'vastly superior' or something to the Hobbit adaptation.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 24 2016, 5:44am

Post #9 of 26 (3152 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think few people would pay to see this version of the hobbit that includes talking animals, a talking purse, indistinguishable dwarves and so on and on.

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 24 2016, 10:41pm

Post #10 of 26 (3000 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

You may find this hard to believe, but outside of this particular website, there are many many fans of Tolkien who would have loved to see a talented filmmaker bring the story as Tolkien wrote it to life on screen, complete with talking animals, purses and bearded dwarves.

And what, are you saying that if PJ had decided to give all his dwarves beards they would all look exactly alike and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart? Did you have great difficulty telling Gandalf and Saruman apart when they were standing side by side?

smoff
Bree

Aug 25 2016, 8:11am

Post #11 of 26 (2926 views)
Shortcut
Cheers, Dor ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe 'worried' was the wrong term - I'm not stting around fretting about this! Perhaps concerned is more accurate, but thanks for the soothing words.

Yes, I agree that "If anyone at Warners has eyes and ears the general reaction to this set should make them think", but if anyone like that existed there, surely this set wouldn't be going out in this state in the first place.

If at first you don't succeed, try again.
If you still don't succeed, give up - there's no point making yourself look stupid!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 25 2016, 11:03am

Post #12 of 26 (2908 views)
Shortcut
This Limited Collector's Set [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, I agree that "If anyone at Warners has eyes and ears the general reaction to this set should make them think", but if anyone like that existed there, surely this set wouldn't be going out in this state in the first place.

Other than the price point, I don't think that there is anything intrinsically wrong with this set, except that it is not the ultimate one that people are hoping for. It is still an impressive package that I wouldn't mind owning myself, if only for the addition of the bonus features from the theatrical editions of the films. Of coarse, even at half of the suggested retail price, it would be out of my range at the present time.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

shaundobson
Rivendell

Aug 25 2016, 11:28am

Post #13 of 26 (2896 views)
Shortcut
content.. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it had all or most of the unused deleted scenes from LOTR that we know so much about then I would consider buying, but at a smaller price.

It deserves all the critiscm it's getting. Very pricey with nothing new included ? It's sad, everyone was expecting a true Ultimate Edition one day with new bonus material and deleted scenes... what a shame.

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 25 2016, 7:36pm

Post #14 of 26 (2845 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

I've ever seen a thread, no matter what topic, that you didn't turn into a rant about how much you don't like The Hobbit movies. I just thought I'd let you know that the message is loud and clear! We get it!

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 25 2016, 8:01pm

Post #15 of 26 (2833 views)
Shortcut
It really is a terrible adaptation... [In reply to] Can't Post

but we're all on the same side of this particular issue...we all have issue with WB and what their idea of an "Ultimate Edition" should be. I was just putting it out there what it would take for me personally to shell out $800 clams.

(This post was edited by wizzardly on Aug 25 2016, 8:03pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2016, 9:58pm

Post #16 of 26 (2829 views)
Shortcut
Wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

wizzardly doesn't like The Hobbit movies?

I....I did not know that.

Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 26 2016, 4:24pm

Post #17 of 26 (2731 views)
Shortcut
But.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the packaging IS all that impressiveUnimpressed. Superficially, maybe. And maybe it is the "crafty Ringers" who are going to be most bothered by that - I dunno. The woodworkers, the leatherworkers, the paper crafters...

And it's not just the faux materials and mass-produced IKEA-does-it-better "shop class" shelf - it's that IMO PJ's Middle Earth deserved betterMad. I'd love that my Hobbit disks had been printed in full color. Folks have rightly pointed out that it hardly matters when the disc is in the playerLaugh, which is true, but it's the same difference as when I pick up a finely bound book printed on high quality paper, or walk through a lovingly preserved old building and see the fine moldings on the ceilings. Or pay for a WETA figure, for that matter.

I can't figure out where this price came from, unless it was the sleeves for the discs; design, specialty color printing - but still, you can get fairly elaborately produced books with pull-outs and embellishments that aren't that costly. I still think this should have been priced at half of what it was listed at. Producing the disks themselves must have been negligible - they're just more disk copies.Unimpressed

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 26 2016, 7:06pm

Post #18 of 26 (2723 views)
Shortcut
it's understandable, I always try to express my opinions with as much subtlety as possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 26 2016, 8:28pm

Post #19 of 26 (2693 views)
Shortcut
Not Packaging [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't think the packaging IS all that impressiveUnimpressed. Superficially, maybe. And maybe it is the "crafty Ringers" who are going to be most bothered by that - I dunno. The woodworkers, the leatherworkers, the paper crafters...

You misunderstand me. I do not write of the physical packaging but the contents including the special features from both the theatrical and extended editions. Not that the presentation isn't nice--It is, whether you are impressed with it or not.

There's that English language making things confusing again by having multiple usages for the same words.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 27 2016, 4:48pm

Post #20 of 26 (2500 views)
Shortcut
Ah... [In reply to] Can't Post

You misunderstand me. I do not write of the physical packaging but the contents including the special features from both the theatrical and extended editions. Not that the presentation isn't nice--It is, whether you are impressed with it or not.

There's that English language making things confusing again by having multiple usages for the same words.

Somewhere I remember a parody - might have been Terry Pratchett - satirizing a mythical war that had gone on for centuries between factions, because a fly speck on a page had altered the translation of a (mythical) sacred tomeCoolEvil

Just sayin' as a U.S.-er - tho we have been accused of not speaking English anywayCool - I'd tend to use the word "package" as outer materials that surround something, typically to ship something. Not the contents of a disk. But perhaps in other countries the word "package" has a (typically) broader use. Like when a TORn member explained the use of the word "suspenders" in the U.K.

ANYWAY. Why, sure, I'd buy this, possiblyUnsure, maybe, as it might be nice to have some sort of order in my chaotic collection. So I'll keep an eye out for the probable hefty discounts, especially after the holidays.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 27 2016, 5:32pm

Post #21 of 26 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Yup... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even two fellow 'Murikans can have a misunderstanding over our own language.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 28 2016, 12:10pm

Post #22 of 26 (2421 views)
Shortcut
I am not saying that. [In reply to] Can't Post

You may find this hard to believe, but outside of this particular website, there are many many fans of Tolkien who would have loved to see a talented filmmaker bring the story as Tolkien wrote it to life on screen, complete with talking animals, purses and bearded dwarves.

And what, are you saying that if PJ had decided to give all his dwarves beards they would all look exactly alike and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart? Did you have great difficulty telling Gandalf and Saruman apart when they were standing side by side?

When I said ''indistinguishable dwarves'' I meant their personality, not the way they look -- although that was also considerably improved IMO in the film trilogy. So, to answer your question, clearly no -- I did not have any difficulty telling Gandalf and Saruman apart (although I suspect this was a bit of sarcasm on your part). I don't think I even could, given the dozen times or so I've watched these movies. Tongue

As for the first point, I will just say that ''many many fans of Tolkien [out of this particular website]'' do NOT represent the majority of moviegoers. So my original point still stands.

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Aug 28 2016, 12:13pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 28 2016, 11:41pm

Post #23 of 26 (2344 views)
Shortcut
For me… [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'd buy it (though obviously not at the exorbitant price) if it just contained the missing material from the final Hobbit film, integrated onto the film disk – in particular more Beorn, and a proper ending to the funeral and departure, which is currently extremely patchy.

I wouldn't mind seeing much less of Legolas and the female 'elf', and general juvenile grossness, and seeing what I mentioned above, the omission of which really ruined the film for me.

When it comes to LotR, the EEs are it for me – I certainly wouldn't want to see Arwen at Helm's Deep or anything like that, though I would like an explanation of the disappearing Elves at the end of the battle. It is inconceivable that they all would have died, while Aragorn and Gimli survived. The stupid skateboard scene could be deleted. I would like to see a proper meeting/acknowledgement between Aragorn and Faramir at the end of the battle, plus the right scene with Gandalf at the gates. They are only things that would enhance the films for me, though they are not as crucial as the fixes needed for the final Hobbit film.

It's all a fool's hope, though, to imagine that I'll ever see the things I'd like to see in the final Hobbit film…

This set does look like quite a cheaply produced product overall, though the booklets look nice, even though they appear to contain standard promotional images we've all seen zillions of times before.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 29 2016, 11:45am

Post #24 of 26 (2290 views)
Shortcut
And then in the next post... [In reply to] Can't Post

you would go on to criticize PJ for not being subtle in the trilogy or something. How predictable! Angelic

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2016, 1:42pm

Post #25 of 26 (2277 views)
Shortcut
If you disagree with what someone has said, [In reply to] Can't Post

you can state your disagreement respectfully, but it's against our terms of service to make personal attacks. If you don't like what someone has said, but they are not committing a rule violation, just ignore them. We have lots of forums and lots of people participating, so I'm sure you can find discussions you can enjoy.

If you think someone is breaking the rules, let an admin know through PM or the Feedback forum.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 29 2016, 1:44pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.