The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A warning about being a Tolkien fan in New Zealand

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2016, 2:50am

Post #1 of 22 (1404 views)
Shortcut
A warning about being a Tolkien fan in New Zealand Can't Post

Actually it's not as doom-laden as my subject line sounds, but check out this news story from Stuff:

A father and son on a mission to see Mt Doom ended up lost in the alpine darkness with nothing more than a cellphone to get them out.

They didn't even have a torch.

The pair from Australia were scouting Lord of the Rings filming locations as part of their New Zealand holiday.

...The rescue was one of hundreds Shepherd has participated in getting Lord of The Rings tourists safely off the mountain.

Usually when people climb a mountain it is because they have an affinity with the outdoors.

"They are not climbers or trampers - they are going out for a day visit to see Mt Doom. They don't appreciate the risks associated with going up."

The full story is here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/...ves-mt-doom-tourists

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 24 2016, 3:18am

Post #2 of 22 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Well that's two [In reply to] Can't Post

Earlier this year I read about a mother & daughter getting lost for 5 days - WOW! Kind of scary, but my hubby and I are taking all kinds of precautions. I'm DEFINITELY renting an emergency locator beacon, and we'll definitely have a torch/flashlight. And we're both hiking, to build up our stamina and such. It's just a little over a month away - I'M SO EXCITED!!!SlySlySly

Glad the Aussies are okay, though - and it's nice that you Kiwis are looking out for us tourists - thanks in advance!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2016, 5:02am

Post #3 of 22 (1315 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait to see your photos from the trip. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you'll have a great time down here! SmileSmileSmile

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 24 2016, 1:18pm

Post #4 of 22 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Just a silly question, but [In reply to] Can't Post

How in the world can Tolkien fans NOT understand the danger associated with climbing around Mt. Doom?

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Annael
Immortal

Aug 24 2016, 1:44pm

Post #5 of 22 (1286 views)
Shortcut
the "ten essentials" for any hiker [In reply to] Can't Post

we never go on even a short hike without these:

Map
Compass (optionally supplemented with a GPS receiver)
Sunglasses and sunscreen
Extra clothing
Headlamp (or flashlight) (or "torch" as some would say it)
First-aid supplies
Firestarter
Matches
Knife
Extra food

I also bring what we call a "space blanket" - a kind of foil blanket that folds up very small, but can be used to wrap around one. Keeps heat in & one side is orange so you can be seen.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 24 2016, 1:46pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2016, 7:22pm

Post #6 of 22 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Two visitors getting lost in Mordor. [In reply to] Can't Post

What could possibly go wrong?

Wink

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2016, 12:33am

Post #7 of 22 (1238 views)
Shortcut
It's the belief the Eagles will come and save them [In reply to] Can't Post

that causes the problem.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2016, 1:31am

Post #8 of 22 (1236 views)
Shortcut
They must have heard that rumor [In reply to] Can't Post

that Sauron was vanquished. Angelic

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 25 2016, 2:38am

Post #9 of 22 (1242 views)
Shortcut
And today comes this sad and strange story [In reply to] Can't Post

A woman found in a hut where she has been sheltering for a month since her companion died on the Routeburn track.

Moahunter
Rohan

Aug 25 2016, 5:25am

Post #10 of 22 (1220 views)
Shortcut
That is a strange story. [In reply to] Can't Post

. Surely there must have been other trampers passing that way, it's a very popular track
Unless the hut isn't actually on the track..

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 25 2016, 9:43am

Post #11 of 22 (1207 views)
Shortcut
There's a suggestion that the snow was so deep, [In reply to] Can't Post

no trampers got that deep into the track - they'd go only so far before turning back. For the Czech woman to get to the hut while injured, let alone survive a month alone, shows an immense will to not just give up.

Thank goodness she's safe now.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 25 2016, 7:52pm

Post #12 of 22 (1138 views)
Shortcut
She has shown incredible strength, [In reply to] Can't Post

and certainly made some decisions that clearly saved her life. What a lonely and horrible ordeal. I wonder how different it might have been if they had been carrying a personal locator beacon?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 25 2016, 8:26pm

Post #13 of 22 (1134 views)
Shortcut
And that makes three [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a tragic accident - from what I've read they were somewhat prepared and experienced. Sorry, but I'm not telling my hubby about this one, he'll probably cancel the hike if I do.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 25 2016, 9:02pm

Post #14 of 22 (1130 views)
Shortcut
They didn't tell anyone [In reply to] Can't Post

their intentions, and didn't take a PLB - both things that may have altered the speed of the recovery, but of course this wouldn't have prevented the horrible accident in the first place.

NZ spends a lot of money rescuing people from other countries when they get lost and/or have accidents, but not as much money as the people coming here contribute to our economy. It just so often seems that people have no idea what they are getting into, or have an unrealistic belief in their own capabilities. And this includes plenty of Kiwis too.

You may well have already been on this site, but it has lots of useful advice and information.
I'm not trying to put you off - just want to make sure you get home intact with all those lovely photos.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2016, 3:11am

Post #15 of 22 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen that site [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check it out. I wasn't aware that you could fill out an intentions form, either. Will probably do that when I pick up the locator beacon. We're going to try to make it as a day-walk and have Earnslaw Burn pretty well mapped out, but of course we won't know until we get there. Yeah, bringing lighters, some kindling and some of those foil blankets just in case. You bet I'll be sharing photos - sadly, I saw this lovely camcorder earlier today & am trying to talk my hubby into buying it for meWink

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 26 2016, 3:32am

Post #16 of 22 (1100 views)
Shortcut
The woman was interviewed today [In reply to] Can't Post

She has done amazingly well, but has suffered terribly.

From the story:

Pizova said she was well informed about New Zealand conditions and how quickly the weather could change.
"I'm aware we made a few mistakes - not leaving our intentions with somebody, not carrying a personal locator beacon and underestimating the winter conditions."

"I would like to use this opportunity to pass a strong message on to anyone intending to travel in the New Zealand mountains to seek very good information and mainly respect the winter conditions and quickly changing weather."

You can see her and read the whole story here

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 28 2016, 1:38pm

Post #17 of 22 (1046 views)
Shortcut
To be fair, this sort of thing doesn't only happen in New Zealand.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Last week five young men on a day trip from London drowned in the sea near here, on a sunny afternoon, not far out & within sight of an open, flat, sandy beach. No one's quite sure what happened but the talk is of the speed the tide comes in, rip tides, deep channels between sand banks (all true of this part of the coast). As one of the coastguards interviewed on TV said, 'the sea is not your friend and it won't forgive your mistakes. It needs to be treated with respect.'

And the same could be said of mountains, wilderness, weather - anything in nature. So many people seem not to understand that actions have consequences - there have been several drownings on UK beaches in the last week or so, since the weather warmed up. It really surprised me that a lot of the comment from people who were on the beach at the time ran along the lines of 'this shouldn't be allowed' and 'we came to the beach for a family day out and this has spoilt it.'

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Annael
Immortal

Aug 28 2016, 3:10pm

Post #18 of 22 (1028 views)
Shortcut
for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently read about an experienced backpacker solo-hiking the Pacific Crest Trail who left the trail to pee and couldn't find her way back to it. She knew that to keep wandering would probably only make her more lost, so she set up her tent and waited for rescue. She was supposed to meet her husband in a couple of days and he sounded the alarm when she didn't show. Sadly, they found her too late. Her mistake was setting her tent up under a tree instead of out in the open, because helicopters did fly right over the place several times.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 29 2016, 3:06am

Post #19 of 22 (1002 views)
Shortcut
You would think they'd heard: [In reply to] Can't Post

One does not simply walk up Mount Doom.

Actually I heard they were playing Pokemon Go.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 29 2016, 1:50pm

Post #20 of 22 (968 views)
Shortcut
That's kind of disturbing [In reply to] Can't Post

"We came to the beach for a family day" - hopefully they didn't mean it the way it sounded, I mean WOW! Well my husband finally read about the lady in New Zealand, and I said that's why I'm getting one of those locator beacons. I think we'll be doing our hike on October 11th, and we're telling EVERYBODY about it. Honestly, we went hiking around a local lake about a month ago, just for practice, and got pretty turned around doing that, so I know this is going to be a challenge, but I think it will be worth it!

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 29 2016, 2:23pm

Post #21 of 22 (959 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I thought that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There seemed to be several people who saw what happened only in terms of the disruption to their own day out, and who felt that 'they' - whoever 'they' might be (government, council, I don't know) - should put a stop to that kind of thing.

It seemed a very odd reaction. Maybe they were just taken aback by having a microphone shoved at them.

I'm sure your expedition will be worthwhile (and I'm envious!) and it sounds as if you're doing all the right things.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 25 2016, 8:49pm

Post #22 of 22 (719 views)
Shortcut
Good grief! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always carry a flashlight, and a raincoat and warm stuff and water and a bit of food on any kind of mountain hike. And a first-aid kit. A cellphone may or may not be any help in remote areas, which might not have coverage. Glad they were rescued, but sheesh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.