The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Brothers to the Bone, Part V

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 22 2016, 2:43am

Post #1 of 1 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Brothers to the Bone, Part V Can't Post

And I believe this is the LONGEST Chapter - naturally, it has the most action. We find out how Thorin survived his fight with Azog; unfortunately, we also find that two of the Company are in for a very rough time!Shocked

Part 5 - Dwalin’s Dilemma

One week after the epidemic was successfully treated, Jeruk examined Fili’s leg and decided the pins could come out. “It will be much easier taking them out than it was putting them in,” the bonesetter explained, “and far less painful as well.”

Fili didn’t care how much it may hurt; he was anxious to get them out of his leg. Dwalin, however, was not so anxious to sit through this a second time. He’d help steady the lad when the pins were first driven into the bones, to hold them in place while they mended. Fili lay quite still and would not allow himself to scream, but the pain was intense. He shook and grimaced with every tap of the mallet. But as much as it hurt Fili, it hurt Dwalin even more to watch. “If you’ll not be needing me, I’d like to wait outside.”

Thorin nodded, understanding his friend’s discomfort. “I think Kili and I have this.”

“Thank you.” Dwalin bowed to the Crown Prince. “I’ll be back within the hour to check on you.” He left Fili’s private room and wandered through the hallways of Erebor, without any particular place to go. The guard rotation had been taken care of. Many of the injured Dwarves had recovered enough to return to the Iron Hills. Bombur’s wedding would take place within the next week, and Nori would likely announce his engagement – perhaps Fili would do so as well. Nori was meeting with Bryn’s brothers this very moment. Dwalin chuckled, wondering how that was going! His thoughts turned to Tami; he found himself thinking of her more and more each day. He hadn’t asked for her hand in marriage yet, but he’d spoken many times with her father. Boak was always congenial, so Dwalin believed that should he ask, he would receive Boak’s permission. He could only hope that Tami would also be receptive.

While Dwalin wandered the halls contemplating his future, Nori and his brothers were meeting with Bryn and her brothers to decide their future. Nori was in such a good mood! He could certainly talk when he felt like it, and today he was effervescent! “I’ve been in contact with Farzin, he’s a retired tribunal judge, personally recommended by Lord Dain. He’ll come out in the Spring, when the weather improves and travel is easier. He’ll be more of a mentor, I think, but it’ll be good to have him review the more complicated bits of contracts and such.”

“Maybe you should have him review your marriage contract,” Dori suggested.

“Ah, there’s no need for that. A marriage contract only requires two people of legal age and sound mind. Getting the brother’s approval is really more of a formality, from what I’ve read. Now, a father is a different matter.”

Ori asked, “Bombur didn’t have any trouble with Betina’s father, did he?”

“No, why would he?” Nori chuckled. “It’s like I said earlier, we’re all wealthy Dwarf Lords. Who wouldn’t want their daughter to marry one of us – or a brother, for that matter?”

“I hope you’re right,” Dori cautioned.

Nori had arranged for the meeting to take place in a small room on the first upper level. Bryn and her brothers were already there, sitting next to each other on one side of a table. Nori and his brothers sat across from them. “So,” Nori began, “as you know, Bryn and I would like to be married. I’ve drawn up a draft contract here,” he added as he unrolled the parchment, “leaving room to fill in the particulars.”

Ori was setting up the inkpot and quills when Danko spoke. “Mr. Nori, you seem to think that because you are wealthy and associated with the King, that you can just walk off with our sister! Well, I’ll not have it!”

Before Nori could speak, Bryn erupted. “What do you mean, YOU won’t have it? This is MY decision, I’m 124 years old and can decide these things for myself!” Ori and Dori were stunned, more by Bryn’s reaction than Danko’s objection. Never before had she indicated any kind of fighting spirit.

Nori was not surprised by her outburst as much as Danko’s objection, but he was not deterred by this development. “Well, I was hoping we could reach an understanding, but if that’s not the case, so be it. As my lady said, we don’t really need your approval.”

“That is where you are wrong,” Danko remarked. “We’ve done some looking into your background – your shady past. You’ve had run-ins with the law before! We don’t think you’re a suitable Dwarf for our sister, not suitable at all!”

“You watch what you say about my brother,” Dori growled.

“Doesn’t matter.” Nori shook his head. “Call me what you will, it doesn’t change a thing. She and I are of legal age and sound mind – we can marry with or without your approval.”

But Danko wouldn’t back down. “If you force us, we will formally object at the ceremony. We won’t allow it to go forward. We’ll tell everyone there what a scoundrel you really are!”

“You will do no such thing,” Bryn shouted.

“Sit down and be quiet,” Manko threatened, “or I’ll ….” He stopped talking when Nori started to come across the table. Dori reached out and restrained his brother, but his face was red with anger.

Bryn was struggling with tears. “Why are you doing this to me?”

Danko turned toward his sister. “We’re just looking out for your best interest. He’s got to prove to us that he’s capable of taking care of you – that he’s not going to run out on you like his shady past says he will.”

“I TOLD you NOT to speak about my brother like that,” Dori shouted.

It’s alright, Dori.” This time Nori was doing the restraining. “I know what he wants. He wants a settlement.”

“A what?” Ori hadn’t heard of such a thing.

“He wants money,” Dori explained.

“What? You mean to sell your sister into marriage?” Ori’s lip curled in disgust.

“No, of course not,” Danko explained. “But he must pay for the privilege of marrying her.”

“Who do you think you ARE!” Bryn stood and backed away from her brothers. Nori rushed to her side, vowing to find a way for them to marry.

“Fine,” Dori spat, “how much?”

Danko smiled. “Five hundred gold coins.”

“Each,” Manko added.

“Done.” Dori turned to his brother and added, “Consider it a wedding gift.” Nori began to object, but Dori waived him off. Taking the contract, he wrote in his promise to pay five hundred coins to Danko and Manko. “You can collect your money tomorrow, and then be on your way.” Danko snatched the contract before the ink was even dry. He and Manko bowed almost mockingly before leaving the room.

“It’s alright,” Nori whispered to a tearful Bryn.

“I’m sorry,” she moaned, “I didn’t know they intended to extort you.” Approaching Dori she added, “What you must think of me!”

“I don’t think anything of the sort,” Dori replied.

“Why did you do that,” Nori objected, “this is my marriage, I should have been the one to….”

“No, you need your money for your legal studies, and your new bride. But I’m not likely to marry, so I don’t need so much gold. Besides, you’re my brother – we are brothers to the bone. We look out for each other.”

Nori smiled and nodded. “Indeed we do. I don’t know what to say.”

“Start with ‘thank you,’” Dori teased, “and then you can come with me to the vaults – both of you! Come along, Ori!”

Fili ground his teeth plenty during the pin removal, but he wasn’t about to show any sign of pain while Jerusa was nearby. Besides, one look at her was all the comfort he needed. She smiled tenderly at him while Jeruk pulled the pins out with a special lever. After each pin was removed, Jerusa blotted the wound with a clean cloth and dabbed on some healing ointment. After the last pin was removed, she wrapped his leg carefully in a clean bandage. “All better now?”

“Yes, much better!” Fili reached for her hand and held it while gazing at her face. This exchange wasn’t lost on Thorin; after a moment he cleared his throat. Fili released her reluctantly and turned to his uncle. “Thorin, now that this is done, I wonder if you and I could speak?”

“Come along, Jerusa,” Jeruk said knowingly. “There are some patients outside who also need attention.”

Thorin looked over to Kili. “Perhaps you could wait outside?”

“Gladly,” Kili snickered.

Once the room was empty, Fili took a deep breath. “Thorin, I am in love with Jerusa, and I want to marry her. I know I’m still a young Dwarf, but I had Nori check. There’s no law that says I’m too young – I am of age, and I’ve proven myself in battle. More important, I know in my heart that she is the only one for me.”

Thorin turned away, fighting to repress a smile. “Well, it seems you’ve given this some thought. And how does your lady feel? Have you asked her?”

“Well, um, not yet.” Fili swallowed nervously. “But I believe she would accept, if I asked her.”

Thorin couldn’t help but chuckle. “Perhaps you should ask her then, just to be sure.”

“I will!” Fili reached for his crutches. “I most certainly will! So, you approve?”

Thorin nodded. “She seems like a fine girl, so yes I approve – on the condition that you wait until your mother arrives from Erid Luin. You cannot deny her your wedding! She’d never forgive either of us.”

“Of course you’re right.” Fili would have liked to marry immediately, but he knew his uncle spoke the truth. “Well,” he said as he stood up, “I guess I need to speak to her.”

“I’ll send for her. Now I must go – Bifur tells me they are ready to install the gate.” Looking back mischievously, he added, “You must give me a full report when I return.” Thorin giggled deep in his throat as he stepped outside.

Dwalin had become so lost in his thoughts that he’d lost track of time. He remembered he promised Fili he’d be back within the hour, and was hurrying to return; as he rounded a corner he was startled to see Lor standing in his way. “Pardon me, my Lord, I didn’t mean to disturb you.”

“It is alright, Lor.” Dwalin sensed something was wrong, but he ignored that feeling. “What do you want?”

“I wish to be relieved of duty, so that I can return to the Iron Hills.”

“Oh, well, very good then.” Dwalin nodded, somewhat relieved himself. “You are released from service.”

“Thank you, my Lord.” Lor extended a hand. Dwalin looked at him dubiously at first, but then clasped Lor’s hand for a proper shake. Lor suddenly pulled Dwalin forward; Dwalin gasped in pain. He looked down in disbelief at the knife protruding from his ribcage. Lor pushed Dwalin up against the wall, pinning him and driving the blade deeper. “You and your so-called King hid in this mountain like cowards, while my people fought and bled, and DIED! But you have all the gold, so you will get all the women.” He sneered as he pulled the knife free. Dwalin gasped loudly from the pain and doubled over, clutching his wound. Lor held the blade up, so Dwalin could see his blood dripping freely. “Let’s see what Tami thinks of you now!”

“Dwalin?” Lor turned to see the Hobbit, standing at the far end of the hallway. Bilbo’s sharp eyes could see the blood-covered dagger, and more blood oozing between Dwalin’s fingers. “What have you done?” Bilbo’s voice echoed in the hallways.

Lor started forward, dagger raised to strike, when Dwalin lunged at him. “Run, Bilbo,” he shouted as he grabbed at Lor. The murderous guard pulled free of Dwalin’s grasp, but by then Bilbo had produced Sting. Lor turned and fled in the other direction.

Bilbo ran up to Dwalin, who had fallen against the wall and slid down to the ground. He dropped his sword as he knelt in front of his wounded friend. “Oh no, help – HELP!!”

Ori was the first to hear the shouting. “Is that Bilbo?” The brothers hurried down the stairs as Ori called out, “Bilbo! Where are you?”

“I’m down here!” The brothers ran down the hallway, skidding to a stop at the horrible sight. “It’s Dwalin,” Bilbo exclaimed, “one of the Iron Hills guards stabbed him!”

“Who?” Dori demanded, “Which one?”
“I don’t know his name,” Bilbo replied, “but I saw his face.”

“Tami,” Dwalin whispered.

Nori bent down beside him. “Tami? It wasn’t her?”

Dwalin shook his head, gasping, “He’s – after Tami.”

Nori understood. “Don’t worry. We’ll get to her first.”

“We need to get him to the clinic,” Dori said as he slid his arms around Dwalin’s chest. “You two get his legs.”

Nori turned to Bilbo. “You need to find Thorin, tell him to close the mountain until that Dwarf is found.”

“He’s probably at the entrance,” Ori added, “they’re installing the new gate today.”

“Right.” Bilbo picked up his sword and ran off.

Nori grabbed one of Dwalin’s legs, Ori took the other. “Don’t worry,” Nori assured his wounded friend, “as soon as we get you to the clinic, we’ll find Tami.”

Bilbo ran to the entrance, where sure enough, the new gate was being assembled. It had been brought up in three huge pieces from the forges. Gloin was there, along with Bifur, Bofur and Boak, who was suspended from the ceiling, guiding the pieces in place. Thorin and Kili were helping to haul up the second piece, which fitted on top of the first piece. Balin stood nearby. “Thorin!” Bilbo called out as he ran toward them. “Thorin!”

“One moment, Master Baggins,” Thorin replied as the piece was lowered in place.

Bilbo skidded next to the King. “Thorin, I’m sorry but this is important. It’s Dwalin – someone tried to kill him.”

Thorin stared at Bilbo in shock, ordering an Iron Hills guard to take the rope. Balin came over quickly. “What do you mean, someone tried to kill him?”

“Balin, I’m sorry,” Bilbo huffed, “I didn’t see you. Someone stabbed Dwalin – one of the Iron Hills dwarves, I saw his face but I don’t know his name. Nori and his brothers are taking Dwalin to the hospital right now.”

“Balin, go.” Thorin motioned with his head. Balin turned and ran toward the hospital.

By this time all work on the new gate had stopped. Everyone was listening to Bilbo. “Nori said you should close the front entrance, to make sure he can’t escape.”

“Do it!” Thorin bellowed to the guards. “Let no one leave until this Dwarf is captured.” Thorin turned back to Bilbo. “Did Dwalin tell you anything?”

Bilbo shook his head. “Thorin, he’s hurt bad. He said something about Tami – he said his assailant may go after her next.”

“What? MY Tami?” Boak was shrieking, “Get – get me down!” Bifur lowered him quickly; Boak started undoing his harness before his feet touched the ground. “It’s probably Lor, he’s been pestering her since she got here. I knew there was something wrong with him!”

“She’s working on the dias for the throne,” Bifur reported.

“Right,” Thorin mumbled as he came up with a plan. “Bofur, Gloin, get the word out. Bifur, stay here with the other guards – don’t let anyone leave! Kili, Bilbo, you’re with me.” Thorin still carried Orchrist on his back; this was the sword that killed Azog while the Orc was distracted by the giant eagles. Thorin would never be without it. Likewise, Kili carried a sword; together they headed toward the throne.

Jerusa re-entered Fili’s room. “You wanted to see me?”

Fili took a deep breath. “Yes, I – I need to talk to you.” He was nervous, and had trouble thinking of what to say. “Jerusa, I … I want to do this properly, but I can’t just yet.”

“Do what?” She noticed his hands were trembling. “Is something wrong? Do you need something?”

“Yes, I need to do this properly.” He grimaced, feeling very foolish. “Dammit, I’m doing this all wrong! You are waiting on me like I’m some crippled old dwarf – but I should be waiting on you instead.” He was able to steady himself on one crutch, so that he could take her hand. “Jerusa, there’s something I want to ask you.”

“Well, of course, Fili – just ask me.”

“I can’t ask you properly just yet, but when I’m better – and I will get better, I swear it. I’ll be strong again, strong enough to take care of you, like a good Dwarf should.” She couldn’t help but smile, and a pinkish blush touched her cheeks, causing Fili to blurt out, “I love you.”

“Oh,” she breathed, “oh, Fili! Is that what you wanted to tell me?”

“Well, yes! I – pray that you feel the same for me?”

“Oh, yes, I do!” She finally understood what he was trying to say.

Fili was both relieved and elated. “Splendid! So, can you wait for me? Can you wait until I can ask you properly?”

Before she could answer her father burst in. “Bring him in here,” he ordered. “Jerusa, get this bed ready – we have to do surgery right now!” The brothers Ri brought in a very pale Dwalin. Their attempts to stop the bleeding had not been successful; blood dripped onto the floor. Oin and Edna came in behind him.

“Fili, I’m sorry – we’ll talk later.” He only nodded as he stared in shock. Jerusa rushed to the supplies, pulling out what her father would need.

“Nori,” Fili demanded, “who did this?”

“I think his name is Lor,” Nori reported, “but it’s hard to tell. He may be after Tami, we’ve got to find her first.” Jerusa and Edna both froze, staring at Nori in horror. “If you don’t need our help,” Nori began.

“Perhaps one of you,” Oin replied.

“Ori, you stay here,” Dori ordered, “Nori and I have got this.”

Oin put Ori at the foot of the bed. “Help hold him down. I’m sorry,” he said to Dwalin, “but this will hurt.”

Jeruk was probing the wound. “I need light – can someone bring a lamp?” Fili tossed aside one crutch and took a lantern from the wall. “Well, alright then,” Jeruk said cautiously, “can ye stand steady right here? Good, now hold the lamp out right here. Good, thank you. I need to cut away this tunic – Jerusa, are there some scissors available?”

“Use the knife in my boot,” Fili suggested. She took his knife and cut the fabric away from the wound.

Like Fili, Dwalin didn’t move and wouldn’t scream, yet he shook and groaned through clenched teeth with every touch of Jeruk’s probe. Blood splurted out of the wound. “Jerusa, get that,” Jeruk ordered. She gathered several swabs to clear away the blood. “I found it – this artery is cut; I’ll have to seal it. Oin, can you give him something for the pain?”

“I have something that will help,” Oin replied as he moved quickly to a cabinet. He took a jar, carried it to Dwalin and held it under his nose. Pulling the stopper out he instructed, “Take a deep breath. It will make you light-headed, dull the pain and help you relax.” Dwalin nodded and inhaled deeply. It took less than a minute for the effect to be felt. Dwalin’s eyes rolled back and his jaw fell open. “Good,” Oin observed as he quickly stopped the jar closed. “I’ll keep an eye on his breathing – it seems to be labored.”

“That’s because his lung is punctured,” Jeruk pointed out. “It’s filling with blood. I’ve got to stop the bleeding first, then we can drain his lung and seal it.” He worked quickly on the artery, stitching it closed. “We’ll need some kind of pipe to drain it with – the smaller the better.” Oin motioned with his head to another cabinet. Edna looked and found a long, narrow glass pipe. Jeruk nodded, “That will work. Almost done here.” He pulled about one foot of thread before clipping the string. “This will need to stay outside the body,” he explained as he carefully laid it across Dwalin’s belly. “Alright, let’s sit him up.” They pulled Dwalin up into a sitting position, and Edna slid some pillows behind his back. Jeruk slid the glass pipe into the wound, pushing inside the punctured lung. Dwalin shook and growled a bit while the pipe slid in place, but stopped afterwards. His eyes were closed, and he’d become very pale. Blood began to drip out of the pipe – Jerusa knelt and held a container to catch the flow.

At that moment Balin came in. He gasped at the sight of his younger brother – so strong and fierce, now looking close to death. “Does he live?” Ori glanced at him and nodded. Balin approached cautiously, eyes wet with tears. “Dwalin?”

Dwalin’s eyes fluttered; he looked towards his brother but his vision was out of focus. He took a breath and exhaled slowly. “His breathing is improved,” Oin reported while Edna prepared another needle.

“Good.” Jeruk slid the pipe back out, causing another groan to come from his patient. “We’re ready to seal this up then.” He nodded at Balin. “You are his brother? You might help hold down the legs.”

“Tami,” Dwalin mumbled, “is she safe?”

“Hold still, please,” Jeruk urged.

Ori tried to reassure him, saying “My brothers will get to her first, don’t you worry.”

Tami was wiping down the dias, where she’d been carving an intricate scrolling design around the edges. She suddenly sensed she was being watched. Turning quickly she noticed Lor standing on the walkway leading to the throne. “Oh, you startled me.”

“Beggin’ your pardon, Tami.” He took a step forward. “I’ve just come to say goodbye. I’ve decided to return to the Iron Hills.”

Tami wasn’t sure what to think. Something about the tone of his voice, the gleam in his eye, warned her that she wasn’t safe. “That’s fine,” she said as she held up a hand. “I wish you a safe journey home.”

“Thank you, my lady,” he replied as he moved closer. “But before I go, there’s something I want you to see.” He began walking up the steps leading to the throne. Tami instinctively stepped behind the dias. “What’s wrong,” he asked, “you act like you are afraid of me.”

Tami stiffened. “Should I be?”

A shadow passed over Lor’s face as he came off the last step. “Perhaps Dwalin could protect you, then.”

“What do you mean?” She reached for her hammer and chisel – they were very small, meant for delicate work, but they were all she had with her. “Do you mean to harm me?”

“Perhaps I do.” He held up his bloody dagger. “I’ve already harmed Dwalin.”

“What did you do?” She shouted the words, not so much fearfully as angrily.

“He meant something to you?” Lor clenched his fist as he spoke. “Of course he did. Why would you choose a lowly soldier from the Iron Hills, when you could have a wealthy Dwarf Lord from Erebor?”

He moved to step around the dias, but she moved more quickly, holding the hammer and chisel up defensively. “If HE were the lowly soldier and YOU were the wealthy Lord, I would still choose him! I rejected you because I sensed something was off about you – and I was right!”

“Tami!” Boak had followed Thorin; when he saw Lor he broke into a run. “Get away from her!” Thorin, Kili and Bilbo had to run faster to keep up. As soon as Lor saw the King, he turned and ran off. Boak ran up to his daughter. “Are you alright? Did he harm you?”

“No,” Tami breathed in relief, “but I think he meant to. What of Dwalin? He said he’d – there was blood….”

“Get her to the hospital,” Thorin ordered as he ran past.

“Come,” Boak said as he put a protective arm around his daughter. “It will be safer there.”

Lor ducked down a dark hallway, trying to evade Thorin. He thought he was safe, until he heard someone shout “OY!” He turned to see Bombur, standing at the other end, holding what appeared to be a soup ladle. He started laughing, until Bombur started running toward him. Lor realized too late that the fat Dwarf was actually quite fast. He turned to run, but Bombur launched himself and tackled Lor, smashing him into the ground.

Bombur rolled off, giving Lor a chance to stumble to his feet. He pulled out his sword, intending to strike, when he was knocked against the wall by Bofur’s hammer. “Not my brother, you don’t!”

Bofur heard Thorin shouting “Where is he? Find him!”

“He’s down here,” Bofur called out, “Bombur got him!”

Thorin ran up to the brothers. “Good,” he panted. “Bind his hands!”

Boak and Tami came into the hospital just as Jeruk finished with the stitches. Dwalin was still propped up on pillows; Balin sat on one side. “Oh, no,” Tami moaned when she saw him. She hurried to his other side. “I’m sorry, I should have said something. But he hadn’t really done anything before, it was just a feeling. I didn’t think that was enough – I’m so sorry!”

“It’s alright,” Dwalin was able to whisper. “I live. You are safe, that’s what matters.”

“He was after her,” Boak explained, “but we got there, King Thorin and Prince Kili, and the Hobbit.” Boak sniffed. “We got to her in time. King Thorin told me to bring her here, for safety.”

“Did they catch him?” Balin stood and repeated, “Did they catch him?”

“He ran down a hallway near the kitchen.” Boak was looking at Dwalin as he spoke. “I think that’s a dead-end. They will catch him. You can rest easy on that.” Dwalin nodded, trying to stay focused on Tami.

Fili and Jerusa stood off to the side, relieved that the surgery was successful. Jeruk and Edna were washing off the surgical instruments, while Oin kept a close eye on Dwalin’s breathing. No one noticed that Balin had left the room, carrying his sword.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.