The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Brothers to the Bone, Part IV

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 22 2016, 2:28am

Post #1 of 1 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Brothers to the Bone, Part IV Can't Post

This is the shortest chapter - but it sets us up for the next bit of drama. It's not all just hooking up!

Part 4 - An Enemy You Can’t Fight

Bombur’s happy nuptials had to be postponed, as a fever epidemic struck the hospital. Three more Dwarves died in the night, and nearly two dozen more were stricken with fever. All four medics and three nursemaids worked through the night, treating the feverish with athelas from Dale, and every able-bodied Dwarf hauled in cold water from the mountain to try to reduce their temperatures. Fili stood in the doorway of his room, feeling worse than useless. He now understood why Thorin insisted he stay in a separate room, but that knowledge still came with guilt – and fear that Jerusa was exposed to the same fever. Finally, he could take it no more. He disobeyed Thorin’s order and made his way into the hospital.

Oin and Jeruk didn’t notice him, as they were pouring over medical scrolls looking for anything that resembled this affliction. Jerusa knelt by a Dwarf’s bedside, applying a cold cloth to his forehead. She looked exhausted, having been up all night treating the fevers. The rest of the Company had moved the unafflicted patients to another area, attempting to stop the spread of the disease. Even Thorin was helping to move the injured patients. Fili ducked behind a pillar, hoping his uncle hadn’t seen him. But Jerusa saw him, and hurried over. “You shouldn’t be here,” she whispered, “you could catch the fever!”

“So could you,” he replied less than quietly. “I – I can’t help but be worried.”

“I’m being very careful,” she tried to explain, but then felt something on her arm. A small bug was crawling up her sleeve. “Oh!” She shrieked as she swatted it off her arm. It fell to the floor, and without thinking Fili stomped on it. Pain shot up his broken leg, making him shriek as well – loud enough to be heard by all. “Oh, Fili,” Jerusa exclaimed, “you must be more careful!”

“Right, I won’t do that again.” They both looked down at the splattered bug, just as Oin came running over. Thorin was screaming at the medic to get Fili out of there, but Fili pointed at the splattered bug. “It was on Jerusa’s arm – is it possible this bug could be causing the fevers?”

“Well,” Oin started, “it would be easier to tell if I could see a living insect. Which patient were you treating?” Jerusa led Oin to the patient. Oin pulled back his blanket and lifted his tunic. All three gasped at the sight of three bugs, much bigger than the one who crawled up Jerusa’s sleeve. They seemed to be embedded in the Dwarf’s skin. Fili used his knife to pry one loose. By this time Jeruk had come over. “I believe we may have an answer,” Oin explained.

“That looks like a blood bug,” Jeruk concurred. “They can cause fevers in their victims.”

By this time Thorin had come over. “Fili, I told you to stay out of here!”

“Thorin,” Oin intervened, “I think he’s found our culprit.” He showed the bug, engorged with blood, to the King. “This poor Dwarf has three that we’ve found. We need to search the others, but be careful! There could be smaller ones that will spread quickly, so very small indeed!” The feverish Dwarf was lifted out of his bed and sure enough, a dozen tiny bugs were seen crawling in the bedding. “This is not an enemy we can fight with swords,” Oin explained, “but with fire and water!”

“Agreed,” Jeruk chimed in. “All the bedding needs to be examined. I recommend burning the infested bedding, and washing the rest in hot water, just in case there are any small hatchlings.”

“We will do what you recommend,” Thorin said, “but Fili must return to his room.”

“I will see to it personally,” Oin replied. “But perhaps he could help make a salve, to treat the bug bites with?”

“Fine,” Thorin growled, “as long as he does so in his room.” He then called Balin and Dwalin over to issue orders regarding the bedding.

Tami and Boak were pulled away from the throne to help inspect the bedding. Several mattresses were burned, while others were run through a washing assembly line put together by Rom and Revan. Dori, Ori, Bifur and Bofur ran through Erebor in search of fresh bedding, although it would also have to be inspected and cleaned. Meanwhile, Bryn set to work sewing new mattresses together. Nori brought in a huge amount of straw from Dale, and helped Bryn stuff the mattresses. During that time an attachment was formed between them. They spoke very little, but it was enough. Nori found himself falling for her deep, brown eyes, and she was enamored by his compassion and dedication. By the end of the day they both knew in their hearts that they would be together.

Meanwhile, a workbench was set up for Fili in his room. He ground athelas leaves into a powder and mixed it into a salve, which Jerusa applied to the wounds left when the bugs were pulled off their victims. The bugs were collected in a bucket and, like the infested bedding, were thrown into the fire. Cold water was still hauled in to treat the fevers, but slowly the temperatures returned to normal. The epidemic was defeated.

Thorin ordered a day of rest for everyone. Most Dwarves happily complied, but Fili didn’t feel like resting. He wanted to find Jerusa and make sure she was alright. But when he went out to the hospital, she was nowhere to be seen. Instead, he saw Bofur talking with Rom and Revan, who seemed to be keeping watch over the patients. “Excuse me,” Fili started, “but I was looking for Jerusa – have you seen her?”

“Oh, the nursemaids,” Bofur replied. “They’ve gone to sleep, and a well-deserved sleep it is! In fact, I think all the medics have done just that. We’ve offered to keep watch tonight,” he added as he gestured to the red-haired Dwarves. “Care for some tea?”

“No thank you,” Fili replied glumly. “Thorin really doesn’t want me in the hospital section.”

“Probably wise,” Bofur pointed out. “Hard enough for you just getting down the stairs. Do you need a hand?”

“No, I can manage, but thank you anyway.”

“Well, goodnight then,” Bofur smiled amiably.

Dwalin was also exhausted, having moved heavy Dwarves and buckets of cold water for most of the day. After getting a small bit of bread and mutton stew, he decided to have a second ale before retiring for the evening. He leaned his forehead against his folded hands, half dozing, when Nori came in. “Good evening, Nori,” he started. “I believe there’s still a bit of stew left.”

“That’s not really why I’m here.” Nori set a stack of ten heavy Dwarvish coins in front of Dwalin.

He chuckled. “So, Bofur has succeeded in wooing the lady?”

Nori shrugged. “I don’t know about that, but I’m officially withdrawing from the competition.” Dwalin raised an eyebrow at his friend, requesting an explanation. “I’ve ah, formed an attachment with someone else.”

Dwalin leaned back in his chair, smiling. “The little laundress?” Nori smiled and nodded. “Well, let me be the first to congratulate you, then.” He stood and scooped up the coins, depositing them into a coin pouch. “And let me buy you a drink as well.”

“Oh yeah, with my money,” Nori protested amiably.

They walked over to a barrel. Dwalin put down his own mug, fetched another mug and filled it. “So, you’ve talked with the lass, and she’s agreed.”

“Yeah, she wants me and my brothers to meet with her brothers sometime soon, to work out the particulars.” Nori took a deep drink before he continued. “I’ve been researching marriage contracts. It can get a bit complicated. Normally the father has to sign the contract, but their father is dead. I don’t think the brothers have the same legal standing, but I suppose it would be best for the marriage if they agreed to it.”

“Marriage,” Dwalin chuckled, “first Bombur and now you. I suppose Fili will be next.”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Nori glanced sideways at his friend, “seems I saw you having dinner last night with a fair maid – maybe you’ll be next.”

“Oh, we’re just ….” Dwalin shrugged, looking a little embarrassed. He drained his mug and refilled it. “Things are definitely changing, aren’t they?”

“They are, indeed,” Nori chuckled, “they are indeed.”

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.