PHOTO of the Middle Earth blu-ray collector's set
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 18 2016, 4:14pm

Post #26 of 39 (2486 views)
Shortcut
*Snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't they realize that the people that would actually pay for this are the ones that already own the movies and just want new bonus features?

At this rate we'll never see those deleted scenes... PJ has been wanting to give us more bang for our buck for the last decade, but Warner Bros are just too cheap and clueless.

Don't they realize that fan communities are populated with a healthy contingent of imaginative craftspeople who not only can make nice things, can make them of actual solid wood (as the word wood, without specifics, these days covers a lot of territoryUnimpressed - including "manufactured wood product" and just sayin', maybe it's silly, but I'd feel better if the handsome wood case? didn't look like something someone handy with a jigsaw couldn't make in a day or two....and use a quality wood, too...because that Hobbit window design looks suspiciously rubber-stamped paint....)

Real leather - a book cover, in this caseTongueTongueTongue. Fan-made, and gorgeous.....Heart

Well, there's the sketch book, but a lot of us already own the Chronicles books...

*Shrug* personally can't justify this - set seems to be mainly about re-packaging with a very mild sweetener thrown in, and it's IMO not even premium packaging. You could probably get the local shoe repairman to make you leather disc cases, and they'd be real leather.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 18 2016, 4:29pm

Post #27 of 39 (2480 views)
Shortcut
Agreed..... [In reply to] Can't Post

$800?? no thank you. I don't know who they think their target market is, because who on this site is atually gonna cough up close to $1,000 for a new release?? especially one that doesn't have the new special features we've been asking for for the better part of 12 years?

Eight hundred dollars. Eight-zero-zero. $800.00 As of today, around 706 Euros. Close to a thousand dollars. For disks a lot of us already own. UnimpressedUnimpressedUnimpressed

(Maybe this Etsy seller would be happy to get shelf commissions...
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thejollygeppetto)

I suppose the target market is the rushed, well-heeled, holiday shopperCrazy. "What do I get my Middle Earth lover? Well, I'll pick up this nice set of stuff they already own, because at least I'm in the ballpark of something they'd like...."

weathertop
Rohan

Aug 18 2016, 5:20pm

Post #28 of 39 (2475 views)
Shortcut
yeah, sorry not sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

as nice as it would be to have them all in a pretty little matching set, i'm not gunna re-purchase what I already own. Even if they put out everything included with all the extra deleted scenes filmed, I don't think I'd spend more than $100. Yes I'm cheap. I already paid $60-80 on the EE with figures. EACH.

Enginerd

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 18 2016, 10:32pm

Post #29 of 39 (2421 views)
Shortcut
The shelf's kinda nice...looks like something a hobbit lad might have "winged" up in shop class. [In reply to] Can't Post

But at this price, only the most devout of PJ's loyalists will be opening their wallets I'm afraid.

(This post was edited by wizzardly on Aug 18 2016, 10:34pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 18 2016, 11:07pm

Post #30 of 39 (2411 views)
Shortcut
At that price though, they should at least include a working replica of Kili's beard clippers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2016, 11:50pm

Post #31 of 39 (2409 views)
Shortcut
The price is pure lunacy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely adore PJ's LotR and quite like the TH films, but even an abundance of new extras wouldn't tempt me to spend $800 on a home video release.

I still can't believe that price is for real. WB must be out of their minds.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 19 2016, 12:18am

Post #32 of 39 (2405 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it will actually remain that price [In reply to] Can't Post

I still predict it will be around $400. Which even if the Hobbit didn't turn out to be a wretched pile of excrement, I would still find it difficult to pay even that much for it. Admittedly it all looks nice in the pic, but when you consider what you are actually getting, it really doesn't seem worth it, even at half the price.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2016, 9:20am

Post #33 of 39 (2312 views)
Shortcut
Chances are - [In reply to] Can't Post

- it's possible that asking prices may be higher in future, if/when folk see prices creeping up and think 'wish I'd gotten one when they were only $800.00'

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 21 2016, 9:39pm

Post #34 of 39 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Even the biggest fans of the Peter-earth chronicles are turning up their noses at this. And amazon has already reduced the price to $720, which is still an obscene amount of money to part with for this. I am almost certain the price will continue to drop as the holiday spending frenzy draws ever nearer, or another possibility is, they simply set the price at that stupid price already knowing they are going to offer it at the actual price in disguise as a "special" black friday deal. I'm still guessing it will be somewhere between $400-500.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2016, 10:07pm

Post #35 of 39 (2143 views)
Shortcut
No, that won't happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

$800 is the list price, which pretty much makes it the ceiling. The price it goes for on release day will most likely be around $400-500. In the future, it will probably go up some, but it will never go above the list price.

Still not worth it, however. Not even remotely. I'm not sure who will actually buy this set. It's hard to imagine a bigger fan of PJ's LotR than myself Tongue, but this isn't even on my radar.

...and I have a serious lack of self control when it comes to buying Collector's items. So that's saying something.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

nusilver
Rohan

Aug 22 2016, 1:24am

Post #36 of 39 (2123 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
$800 is the list price, which pretty much makes it the ceiling. The price it goes for on release day will most likely be around $400-500. In the future, it will probably go up some, but it will never go above the list price.

Still not worth it, however. Not even remotely. I'm not sure who will actually buy this set. It's hard to imagine a bigger fan of PJ's LotR than myself Tongue, but this isn't even on my radar.

...and I have a serious lack of self control when it comes to buying Collector's items. So that's saying something.

As it so happens, the $500 Harry Potter Wizard's Collection now lists for above $1000 on Amazon, and sells for anywhere between $500-$600 on eBay (sells, mind you -- ones that people actually paid for.) There's no reason to think this won't happen with this set when it goes out of print, too.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2016, 5:09am

Post #37 of 39 (2112 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't speaking of 3rd party sellers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, out of print items will always be priced at ridiculous levels. I meant the price you'll find with regard to stores and direct from online retailers.

- Viggo Mortensen

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 23 2016, 9:35am

Post #38 of 39 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Down to $599 [In reply to] Can't Post

The shelf is down to $599 at Amazon. Still too much though.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 24 2016, 2:48am

Post #39 of 39 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Maybe there's a reverse silent auction going on. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.