Arthael
Lorien

Aug 17 2016, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 39 (3193 views)
Shortcut
PHOTO of the Middle Earth blu-ray collector's set Can't Post

look at this beautiful display! I love the design on the fellowship case

https://i.kinja-img.com/...4vhh6cflbgo8ket9.PNG

here's the article I pulled it from (still no pricing details)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/...tm_medium=socialflow

I'm curious, how much would you folks be willing to pay to own this? I certainly wouldn't pay the rumored $800, but I'd probably be willing to pay up to $200

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 17 2016, 4:58pm

Post #2 of 39 (3109 views)
Shortcut
I KNEW that price was wrong! [In reply to] Can't Post

I probably wouldn't mind replacing my LoTR discs with Blue-rays, mostly because the movies are split between two discs and I'm very lazyTongue. But I already have all of "The Hobbit" on Blue-rays. The shelf is cute, but that BOOK!!! Any chance that would be sold separately??? I'm thinking $150 tops for the set, which is a bit pricey if all I really want is the book, so I've gotta give that some thought.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

LSF
Gondor

Aug 17 2016, 5:23pm

Post #3 of 39 (3096 views)
Shortcut
Blurays [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR films blurays are still split with 2 discs in the set I have. It looks like that's still the case with this set.

What is interesting is that each film in the photo has an extra disc than the EE blurays I have. Hobbits have 3 discs (one film, two special features) and LOTRs have 5 (two film, 3 special features). So does that mean there is an extra disc worth of deleted scenes/special features with this set, even though all the information I've seen only says "previously released special features"? Unless they reconfigured the way the existing special features were broken up, I can't think of another reason for the extra disc.

Arthael
Lorien

Aug 17 2016, 5:38pm

Post #4 of 39 (3079 views)
Shortcut
was just thinking about that [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe we'll finally get more of the deleted scenes, and maybe some new special features?

or maybe they're just the dvd copies Frown plan for the worst until we hear better!

If they sell a collectors set for $200+ and still don't include remastered, high-res deleted scenes, I hate to say it but we'll probably NEVER see them

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 17 2016, 5:47pm

Post #5 of 39 (3075 views)
Shortcut
DVD limited edition [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What is interesting is that each film in the photo has an extra disc than the EE blurays I have. Hobbits have 3 discs (one film, two special features) and LOTRs have 5 (two film, 3 special features). So does that mean there is an extra disc worth of deleted scenes/special features with this set, even though all the information I've seen only says "previously released special features"? Unless they reconfigured the way the existing special features were broken up, I can't think of another reason for the extra disc.

I have the Lord of the rings EE blu-ray boxset and every film has 5 discs, two films, 2 appendices and 1 special features from the DVD limited edition.

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 17 2016, 6:14pm

Post #6 of 39 (3068 views)
Shortcut
If you look at the description [In reply to] Can't Post

it says that the special features are from the extended and theatrical versions of the films...that would explain the extra disc

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 17 2016, 6:32pm

Post #7 of 39 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Well, it is a VERY pretty thing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't pay $800 (or whatever that is in our money) because it's way too much. As to what I would pay I'm not sure. Buying something which essentially I already have in order to lay hands on the lovely goodies that come with it takes some justifying. But maybe in a weak moment.... Angelic

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17 2016, 7:14pm

Post #8 of 39 (3043 views)
Shortcut
Is that the Red Book of Westmarch I see? [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 17 2016, 7:15pm

Post #9 of 39 (3041 views)
Shortcut
I predict it will be $400 [In reply to] Can't Post

which is still steep...but much more manageable.

LSF
Gondor

Aug 17 2016, 7:57pm

Post #10 of 39 (3030 views)
Shortcut
Ah, right [In reply to] Can't Post

Must've missed that part. Then I'll pass on this. I want the hopefully coming edition with those added special features that Michael Pellerin talked about.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 17 2016, 8:19pm

Post #11 of 39 (3026 views)
Shortcut
I still wish... [In reply to] Can't Post

They would release a DVD version of this. FrownFrownFrown

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 17 2016, 9:43pm

Post #12 of 39 (2990 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's beautiful!!

Would love to own it one day, but I'm surely not going to pay a $800 for it right now!Crazy

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

LSF
Gondor

Aug 17 2016, 10:27pm

Post #13 of 39 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Gotta get with the times... [In reply to] Can't Post

DVD is being phased out for bluray. Since bluray has been out for years, and the bluray players are going for less than $100, doesn't surprise me that some things are only in this format now

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 17 2016, 10:45pm

Post #14 of 39 (2965 views)
Shortcut
I upgraded last Christmas... [In reply to] Can't Post

but only because some of my family members were planning to buy my grandmother a new HDTV (I got her old one, which is only about 7 years old). Since I didn't want to buy a new Blu-ray player when I can finally afford a 3D HDTV, I bought a 3D Blu-ray player. Unlike when you had to upgrade from VHS to DVD, you don't have to replace your DVDs, since Blu-ray players will play everything (it just might not be in HD, unless the Blu-ray player upconverts it; not sure if mine does, since I've yet to watch one of my DVDs on it). I think mine cost about $80.00 (on sale from $125.00 or so, since it was an after Christmas sale). I noticed that some companies don't even have combo packs anymore (I think Fox is one of them, since my first Blu-ray only movie I've purchased was the original Independence Day. Back in '96, I had the VHS copy with the attachable 3D lenticular card. It was the scene where the White House blows up).Smile

"The Lord of the Rings is one of those things. If you like it, you do. If you don't, then you boo." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2016, 11:04pm

Post #15 of 39 (2960 views)
Shortcut
Very attractive, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a very typical move by WB, in that there's no actual new content - only attractive new packaging and swag.

Not interested. No new retrospective documentaries, deleted scenes, etc. Just more of the same. This is not the Middle Earth box set I dreamed of for years, sadly.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

wizzardly
Rohan

Aug 17 2016, 11:06pm

Post #16 of 39 (2953 views)
Shortcut
That actually looks really nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually kind of relieved that my disgust for PJ's Hobbit will prevent me from spending what will inevitably be far too much for this set. I'm guessing it won't be less than $300.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2016, 11:12pm

Post #17 of 39 (2950 views)
Shortcut
*rubs hands together * Alrighty-then :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That Middle-earth piggy bank of mine has gotten quite plump. It's about time to grab the hammer and put it out of its misery!

WAHOOO!!! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 17 2016, 11:55pm

Post #18 of 39 (2939 views)
Shortcut
Warner Bros strikes again [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't they realize that the people that would actually pay for this are the ones that already own the movies and just want new bonus features?

At this rate we'll never see those deleted scenes... PJ has been wanting to give us more bang for our buck for the last decade, but Warner Bros are just too cheap and clueless.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Aug 17 2016, 11:56pm)

Arthael
Lorien

Aug 18 2016, 6:29am

Post #19 of 39 (2873 views)
Shortcut
Amazon's page has updated again [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.amazon.com/...561815%5Bb%7Cgizmodo

and there's also a new listing for the Theatrical Collection
https://www.amazon.com/...0BJ8QYF612F294KYY669

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 18 2016, 10:49am

Post #20 of 39 (2846 views)
Shortcut
Live listing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-Earth UCE.

The price is still $800.
Plus, there is a picture of the back of the box:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Aug 18 2016, 10:49am)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 18 2016, 1:40pm

Post #21 of 39 (2815 views)
Shortcut
This might be a silly question, but [In reply to] Can't Post

on the box set, where they have all the special features listed, what exactly is "behind the scenes" for LOTR's? I see the Appendices and the specials features from the theatricals listed, but I'm curious what behind the scenes is suppose to be.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 18 2016, 3:18pm

Post #22 of 39 (2786 views)
Shortcut
This would be the bts documentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

That Costa Bates made that were included in the initial bluray extended edition release.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 18 2016, 3:29pm

Post #23 of 39 (2778 views)
Shortcut
Okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the help Lindele!Smile

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 18 2016, 3:35pm

Post #24 of 39 (2777 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That Costa Bates made that were included in the initial bluray extended edition release.

Actually they were first released with the Limited Edition DVDs.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Arthael
Lorien

Aug 18 2016, 4:03pm

Post #25 of 39 (2767 views)
Shortcut
YEESH [In reply to] Can't Post

$800?? no thank you. I don't know who they think their target market is, because who on this site is atually gonna cough up close to $1,000 for a new release?? especially one that doesn't have the new special features we've been asking for for the better part of 12 years?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.