Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Why did Arvedui reject the Chief of the Lossoth's advice?

emre43
Rohan

Aug 12 2016, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 7 (883 views)
Shortcut
Why did Arvedui reject the Chief of the Lossoth's advice? Can't Post

Reading the latest edition of the Tolkien Society's 'Amon Hen', a member posed the question 'Why did Arvedui ignore the advice of the Lossoth chief?', in relation to the chief's warning to Arvedui that he should not board the ship sent by Cirdan: 'Do not mount on this sea-monster! If they have them, let the seamen bring us food and other things that we need, and you may stay here till the Witch-King goes home. For in summer his power wanes; but now his breath is deadly, and his cold arm is long' (The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien, J. R. R., Appendix A).

So, as above, why did Arvedui not heed the Lossoth chief's warning?

I never killed a man who didn't need killing
- Clay Allison

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 12 2016, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 7 (867 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wonder that myself when I read that part, which I find tragic and memorable: the experienced sailors of Cirdan struggling valiantly against the ice storm that is or is not summoned by the Witch-King, and Arvedui finally perishing after having survived in the mountains and among the Snowmen. Plus he takes the palantiri to a watery grave.

Maybe he had spent too much time in rough living in exile and just couldn't wait to go home? Maybe he found the Snowmen too primitive and superstitious to be taken seriously? Maybe the mariners of Cirdan were cocky and thought they could sail through any storm as they had for centuries?

What I don't understand about this story lies farther back: when he fled Fornost, why did he spend so much time in the dwarf-mines and not head south sooner to Cirdan's realm while his horses were still alive?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 12 2016, 9:13pm

Post #3 of 7 (853 views)
Shortcut
Arvedui in flight [In reply to] Can't Post

I have assumed that King Arvedui found himself cut off from the south and he and his followers found themselves with no choice other than to shelter in the Blue Mountains as they attempted to find a way through to the Havens. They also might have found any mountain passes held against them that would have allowed them to cross over into Forlindon and in that way reach Círdan.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2016, 10:44pm

Post #4 of 7 (841 views)
Shortcut
Over confidence [In reply to] Can't Post

He had just heard of the Witch-Kings defeat and so presumably thought that he was triumphant and would have no further enemies. Reminded me of someone else!

PhantomS
Rohan

Aug 13 2016, 2:28am

Post #5 of 7 (832 views)
Shortcut
because... YOLO! [In reply to] Can't Post

you only live once. The question is why he didn't use his Palantir to see through the storm?

Morthoron
Gondor

Aug 13 2016, 3:40am

Post #6 of 7 (825 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because kings who feel they have a sense of destiny and an aura of greatness cannot accept the mean constraints of exile in a desolate place. Napoleon was the same way.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

InTheChair
Rohan

Aug 16 2016, 5:42pm

Post #7 of 7 (757 views)
Shortcut
No greater mariners than Cirdans [In reply to] Can't Post

Arvedui could have reasoned that if anyone ever could ge him out of there it was the elven mariners. At least their arrival would seem like a turn in his fortunes after a long streak of things going wrong.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.