The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the book-release reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 9 2016, 2:46pm

Post #1 of 23 (1032 views)
Shortcut
It's the book-release reading thread! Can't Post

My friend Bill Crider has a new book out today, Survivors Will Be Shot Again, number 23 in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. Rhodes is the much put-upon lawman in a small Texas town, with a delightful laconic, wryly good-humored voice. The books are light but highly entertaining reading.

There no longer seems to be a way of inserting a link into a message, sigh, so I'll just paste in the URL of an excerpt of the book:
http://www.criminalelement.com/...ot-again-new-excerpt

I just finished re-reading the 2007 installment in the series, Murder Among the OWLs, and am looking forward to the new one.

I've also started listening to something completely different, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which, at 17 discs, will keep me going for a long time to come. I read the book some years ago and am enjoying it in a different format. The reader, Jim Dale, is so far doing a good job with the different voices.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Aug 10 2016, 2:37am)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 9 2016, 6:21pm

Post #2 of 23 (944 views)
Shortcut
Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb [In reply to] Can't Post

second book in the third Fool-and-Fitz trilogy. The first book in this trilogy was hard to get through -- way too much detail about nothing much happening for years, apparently just to get us up to date with Fitz's life and bring a new character, his daughter Bee, into the picture -- but I'm happy to say things have picked up with this second book. Mostly because Bee is largely OUT of the picture; frankly, so far she's not that interesting. And there was no Fool in the first book until the very end, and the Fool is the most interesting character in the series. in fact, one of the most interesting characters I've come across in fantasy. Also, after years and years of Fitz's inner monologues that reflect what I call "monkey minding" - circular thoughts forever chasing themselves around and around, with no external changes as a result - Fitz is now "out" in every possible way and so instead of havering constantly, he's now able to move forward. FINALLY. So things are really getting interesting!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 10 2016, 2:48am

Post #3 of 23 (912 views)
Shortcut
Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War [In reply to] Can't Post

Steve Sheinkin has produced yet another excellent young adult historical narrative. Knowing the "ending" didn't prevent me from enjoying the story, and I found myself giggling in anticipation of the ineptness of the Watergate "Plumbers" as they totally screwed up their break-ins.

The sad part, though, is as always: how desire to save one's political keister can cause incomprehensible human misery and suffering.

By the way, Lily, I made your link clickable. Just type {url} before it and {/url} after it (use [ and ] for the { and }, of course). I do that all the time, I've found that the command to do it often inserts extra characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 10 2016, 10:38am

Post #4 of 23 (887 views)
Shortcut
The Girls, Emma Cline [In reply to] Can't Post

Much hyped. So far, living up to all of the hypes. Smile

I read The Mirror Thief, and while it held my attention because the writing is so good, ultimately I was disappointed in the murky (to me) story. THAT one did not live up to the hype, in my opinion.

Next up: When Breath Becomes Air. I am sure my heart will be broken.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 10 2016, 1:21pm

Post #5 of 23 (881 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

The TORn post-a-message window is a lot less user-friendly now that I have Windows 10. Crazy

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2016, 7:30pm

Post #6 of 23 (865 views)
Shortcut
Murdoch Mysteries [In reply to] Can't Post

My son got me an almost complete set of the Maureen Jennings novels on which the CBC tv show is based for my birthday. I love the characters and it's so much fun to see how many street names and locations I recognize from my visits to Toronto.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 10 2016, 9:09pm

Post #7 of 23 (857 views)
Shortcut
The Scriptbook for Harry Potter And The Cursed Child... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Unimpressed.

Ginger
Rohan

Aug 10 2016, 10:26pm

Post #8 of 23 (853 views)
Shortcut
Dark Run by Mike Brooks [In reply to] Can't Post

Add my name to the list of people who have enjoyed this book. I like the characters and the worlds he created and the science that explained how things worked. And I did literally laugh out loud at some of the lines.

Nomad
Forum Admin

Aug 11 2016, 3:15pm

Post #9 of 23 (833 views)
Shortcut
'Get a Literary Agent' - Chuck Sambuchino [In reply to] Can't Post

Also for some lighter reading in the evenings I am browsing through the 2016 edition of 'Guide to Literary Agents'.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 12 2016, 1:03am

Post #10 of 23 (813 views)
Shortcut
You can still use IE in Win10 [In reply to] Can't Post

I just upgraded and after a few days realized I just had to search for IE and pinned it to my taskbar. Very relieved as I don't do coding!

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

Annael
Immortal

Aug 12 2016, 2:00pm

Post #11 of 23 (787 views)
Shortcut
I believe you are thanking dernwyn? [In reply to] Can't Post

not moi, the can't-post-a-pic-to-save-her-life person . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 12 2016, 4:21pm

Post #12 of 23 (782 views)
Shortcut
Just finished rereading the Sookie Stackhouse series [In reply to] Can't Post

All thirteen of 'em! I adore this series, and it was just as good the second time around.
Spoilers ahead!!

I still mourn the way Eric Northman left her life, since he was definitely the vampire hunk of the series, and the chemistry between Eric and Sookie was tangible. How she ended up saving Sam was so touching though, regardless of the cost. I figured by then that she'd wind up with Sam, although to me he seemed more like a brother figure than anything else. And I always got such a kick out of Diantha! What a hoot! I love Charlaine Harris' sense of humor, which permeates her stories even amidst the bloodshed and mayhem that inevitably follows the supernatural community. One of these days I'm going to try that recipe in the Sookie Stackhouse Companion book for Caroline Bellfleur's Chocolate Cake! Yum!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 15 2016, 2:17pm

Post #13 of 23 (733 views)
Shortcut
Oops! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 15 2016, 2:18pm

Post #14 of 23 (739 views)
Shortcut
Annael is right [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to thank you for cleaning up my post. Gremlins! It was gremlins, really it was! Angelic

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 15 2016, 2:20pm

Post #15 of 23 (737 views)
Shortcut
You might be interested in these two websites [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.sfwa.org/...thors/writer-beware/

and

http://www.lauraresnick.com/writers-resources/

Both have a lot of very useful information for a budding professional like you.

Nomad
Forum Admin

Aug 15 2016, 2:43pm

Post #16 of 23 (734 views)
Shortcut
Thanks!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've spent a lot of time at sfwa.org but I'd never seen the lauraresnick.com site. I'll definitely check it out!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16 2016, 10:38am

Post #17 of 23 (713 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

No problem, you're quite welcome!

Yep, gotta be some gremlins left over from the Old Boards...remember the weird things that would happen to posts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 16 2016, 2:25pm

Post #18 of 23 (712 views)
Shortcut
It's the middle-of August reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Wow, are the boards moving slowly these days or what?)

I'm still listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows---and will no doubt be doing so for quite some time, since it's a very long book. I'm enjoying hearing the story instead of reading it, and have discovered that one criticism I've had of the series, how JKR repeats/recaps so much, isn't a valid complaint when it's been so long since I've read the earlier books I NEED that recap!

I've also just started listening to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, about a bored, retired Englishman who suddenly gets a letter from an old work colleague (and perhaps lover, but I'm not that far yet), who's dying of cancer on the English/Scottish border. From the cover copy on the box, I gather he leaves home to mail her a letter and, on impulse, goes to see her, but so far he's only walking from mailbox to post office in his own town.

The narrator is Jim Broadbent, and I could listen to that voice for hours!

As for reading on paper, the new Archaeology magazine has arrived, but it's vying for my attention with several novels.

So what have you been reading?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 16 2016, 2:27pm

Post #19 of 23 (704 views)
Shortcut
Have you read any of Harris's new series? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Midnight Crossing, about a community of---well, "eccentric" doesn't quite cover it---weird characters in a small Texas town, was very good and am anticipating reading the next book in the series.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 16 2016, 3:25pm

Post #20 of 23 (708 views)
Shortcut
The Martian [In reply to] Can't Post

have to admit I skim some of the tech stuff, but enjoying it.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 16 2016, 4:10pm

Post #21 of 23 (699 views)
Shortcut
Midnight Crossroads yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this series too! I am waiting for the third book to come out in paperback (since I'm trying not to buy hard covers anymore). It's unfortunate that it is only a trilogy. I could go on with this series!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 16 2016, 10:56pm

Post #22 of 23 (685 views)
Shortcut
Starscape [In reply to] Can't Post

by Benita Prins. No, it's not "the next LotR." Wink But it is an enjoyable fantasy adventure story. The minimally descriptive writing style took a little adjustment on my part, but when I started reading it as a fairy tale, I really started to enjoy it. More, please!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 17 2016, 12:25am

Post #23 of 23 (685 views)
Shortcut
The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage, by Sydney Padua [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I've read a graphic novel, and I hugely enjoyed the experience.

This was delightful. A cheerful romp that crams in a surprising amount of information about these two fascinating people and their achievements, based on fact but with a lovely what-if diversion to give Ada's story a much happier ending. With appearances from a large cast of eminent people (there's even a cameo from Jane Austen), and with cats. There's a great deal to love.

A snippet.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Aug 17 2016, 12:37am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.