Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2016, 12:37pm

Post #626 of 666 (68791 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

From one Otaku to another.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 3 2016, 12:38pm)

tigatag

Aug 2 2016, 8:54pm

Post #627 of 666 (67240 views)
Shortcut
no pressure or anything [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey all!

I'm Tigatag (after a bit in the Fellowship cast commentary), but some of you may know of me already as Dame Ioreth's eldest daughter. I live with my sister and a small, ridiculous cat. Mum and Dad got me into the series when I was a kid, and it's never really left. I'm still the family's reigning LotR trivial pursuit champion.

I'm twenty-four, I work as a designer, and I think half of my possessions are books by now. I like death's head moths. I read and watch a lot of horror and thrillers. I dislike unnecessary romantic subplots, but was okay with Kili and Tauriel. I like women's hockey.

Elrond is my favorite character, but I'd like to party with Merry and Pippin.

I've been told (by mum) that some of y'all had heard about my tattoo (which I got at the same time she got hers) and some of y'all wanted to see it, so that's attached (I think). It's a direct transcription of "not all those who wander are lost".

(This post was edited by tigatag on Aug 2 2016, 8:55pm)
Attachments: tigatagtattoo.jpg (38.7 KB)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2016, 9:06pm

Post #628 of 666 (68475 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you've chosen to join us. Sounds like you'll fit in great around here. Cool

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 3 2016, 1:06am

Post #629 of 666 (66226 views)
Shortcut

Glad to see DI's next generation joining TORn! I myself am a LOTR trivia champion, so we may need to have a challenge at some point. Wink

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 3 2016, 2:02am

Post #630 of 666 (66839 views)
Shortcut
Hey! Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand you work in a rare book store - that is an awesome (literally) job. Cool Welcome to TORn!

That tattoo is sort of like a Tengwar bracelet! (Here's a bit more of it, which your Mom posted: http://newboards.theonering.net/...rum.cgi?post=866989;.)

So...what are your plans for challenging the Reading Room regulars to LotR trivial pursuit? Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

tigatag

Aug 3 2016, 2:40am

Post #631 of 666 (68662 views)
Shortcut
that would be it [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought there were some better photos floating around!

Yes, I work for a rare book store. We specialize in crime fiction and film, but I've been fortunate enough to handle some truly fascinating rare materials. (No interesting Tolkien related material yet; "so I can hold it" isn't a good enough reason for us to buy stock outside of our area of expertise)

First order of business would be to review, that's for sure! I'm still good on the films, but haven't had time for an in depth re-read in years. It might be color coded sticky note time Wink

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 3 2016, 5:22am

Post #632 of 666 (66806 views)
Shortcut
Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome! Smile

Every time DI mentions the bookstore, I get really jealous--that's doubly so now that you've said it sells film books too. Shocked I'm hooked, please tell me more!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

tigatag

Aug 5 2016, 1:53am

Post #633 of 666 (66172 views)
Shortcut
weelllll.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bookstore" is kind of a misnomer at this point. A few years ago, my boss decided to sell scripts and other film ephemera in addition to first editions. It's interesting if you really know your movies. Over the years I've handled scripts for Empire Strikes Back, Arsenic and Old Lace, the series finale for M*A*S*H, to name a few interesting ones. Vincent Price took a lot of margin notes.

Everyone that works there is a film nerd, all with different preferences. And they'll go out of their way to make sure a co-worker gets to hold something from their favorite film. It's a good place to work,

Sometimes that just the way things go. Someone comes along and throws away your lembas bread… metaphorically

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2016, 3:10am

Post #634 of 666 (67325 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always good to see a second generation on the discussion boards. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 5 2016, 6:39pm

Post #635 of 666 (67676 views)
Shortcut
Sounds neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

A place I'd love to visit, by the sound of it. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2016, 2:05pm

Post #636 of 666 (66885 views)
Shortcut
Here's my girl! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've managed to last a few days without embarrassing you by posting but.... OK, just had to.

Welcome to the playground! I'm so glad you're as nuts as I am and decided to join. Some of the nicest people I've ever "met" are here.

I'll stop now. See, no baby pictures or anything! WinkSmile

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 21 2016, 2:44pm

Post #637 of 666 (66170 views)
Shortcut
Hej! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I'm finally daring to write my first post here. Smile I'm from Germany, but moved to Sweden a few years ago. (so sorry for my english, I don't have much opportunities to practice). I've been a Tolkien Fan for awhile now: My brother made me read LotR about a year before the films came out and I've been hooked ever since.
I really miss talking to other Tolkien Fans, since my friends irl don't really are that into it and the german forum I was active in kind of quieted down. So I'm hoping to find a place here and hopefully make some new friends! Blush

Greetings from Sweden!

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 21 2016, 3:06pm

Post #638 of 666 (64362 views)
Shortcut
Wilkommen! (I hope my spelling is close enough.) [In reply to] Can't Post

Your English is better than many of us who only speak English, so no worries there. Pull up a chair by the fire and make yourself comfortable, mellon.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 21 2016, 3:18pm

Post #639 of 666 (64364 views)
Shortcut
Dankeschön! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you and I'll do just that! Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 4:49pm

Post #640 of 666 (65308 views)
Shortcut

Greetings from Los Angeles.

I hope you enjoy it here! Smile

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 21 2016, 10:43pm

Post #641 of 666 (65291 views)
Shortcut
Danke [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I´m sure I will! Smile

tinkermarm
Bree

Jan 3 2017, 8:52pm

Post #642 of 666 (63932 views)
Shortcut
Kinda new to TORn, kinda not... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all!

Not really sure where to start here, but I'll do my best. Tongue I grew up with the Hobbit and LotR in artwork and book-on-tape form, because it was my dad's favorite series. Saw the movies in the theater before reading the books (okay, I may have read The Hobbit by then, but was more interested in Star Wars tomes at the time), did a high school term paper on Tolkien in '04/'05 (for which I used a collection of TORn essays from the library as one of my sources), and have since mostly just enjoyed the series in book form.

I may have joined here a lot sooner, but I am admittedly not so well-versed in Tolkien-lore to have considered myself a worthwhile contributor to the boards. However, I've been having a lot of fun poking around here recently and decided that you guys are such a nice lot that you probably wouldn't mind if I added a comment here and there. Plus, I really like how verbose (in a good way) some of the posts on here are; it's refreshing in this era of Twitter and Cliff Notes and all that. Wink

I guess a little non-Tolkien info about me might be worth putting up here for some extra background: I graduated from high school in '08, tried engineering school, hated it, switched majors a couple of times, worked at a grocery store for a year and a half, realized that I didn't like engineering because I was a doofus who didn't want to put the effort into it, decided that learning a hard discipline was worth the effort, and finally went back as soon as I got a chance. So, I'm a better-late-than-never almost-not-student who's looking forward to reading some non-technical literature (e.g. FotR, &ct.) by the end of the Spring (my last semester of classes), or before if the occasion presents itself.

My enthusiasm for all things Tolkien has been especially piqued again recently because I've gotten a chance to head up a senior-design team this semester to build a LotR-themed app, so I've been drawing up concept maps/screens and writing lots of pages of notes on features, etc., and just having a lot of fun with all of that in general. It's been nice to have an excuse to dive into something non-techy that I really enjoy while merging it with something technical that I'm also starting to really appreciate. Smile

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all a little more and dive into some extra Tolkien lore in the weeks and months ahead.

Cheers,
tinkermarm

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 3 2017, 9:49pm

Post #643 of 666 (62501 views)
Shortcut

Find a comfy chair and take your shoes off!

Feel free to jump in and enter the discussions. This is an old and established board, but our excellent moderators make sure everyone feels welcome!

Look forward to talking with you!

That hobbit has a pleasant face,
His private life is a disgrace.
I really could not tell to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.
Things that your paper never prints
They only speak of them in hints.
They have such lost, degraded souls,
No wonder they inhabit holes;
When such depravity is found,
It only can live underground.
I really dare not name to you,
The awful things that hobbits do.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 4 2017, 1:04am

Post #644 of 666 (62555 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the movies before reading the books, too! After liking the movies so much, I went and read all the Tolkien I could. I still don't know anywhere near enough Sly, but the folks here are very kind and welcoming no matter what our levels of lore knowledge.

Welcome to TORn and make yourself comfortable, tinkermarm!

Cheers!

Loresilme

tinkermarm
Bree

Jan 5 2017, 9:12pm

Post #645 of 666 (65242 views)
Shortcut
Wait, we were supposed to wear shoes?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the welcome, Darkstone and Loresilme, I feel welcome already! Cool

(This post was edited by tinkermarm on Jan 5 2017, 9:15pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 5 2017, 9:44pm

Post #646 of 666 (63445 views)
Shortcut
Not if you're a hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Or a member of the House of Discalceated Elves, or of the Barefoot Dwarf Clan, or of the Realm of Unshod Men, or you just don't want to.

Otherwise, yes, you are.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Allan J

Jan 13 2017, 3:11am

Post #647 of 666 (61597 views)
Shortcut
Old newbie [In reply to] Can't Post

Started reading Mr Tolkien's works as a teen in 1972. They were my summer vacation adventure, I don't remember how I discovered them, but I remember starting my adventures after the last day of school. Different world then.

Never believed they could translate to cinema, alll props to PJ for pulling it off. Pulled my wife in. She is a books on tape girl, and five years ago she gifted me with Rob Inglis work.

Life changing. I have an issue with reading, I will unconsciously skip over sections that I remember. With Mr Inglis as a narrator, I can shut my eyes and be carried off to Middle earth, what a gift.

I would be embarrassed to count up my "readings".

Just discovered this forum, I have enjoyed what I have seen so far. Looks to be like a amazing group of members

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 13 2017, 3:35am

Post #648 of 666 (62364 views)
Shortcut
Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are slightly older than me. I first encountered The Hobbit when I was in fourth grade around 1969.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Petty Dwarf
Bree

Nov 8 2017, 10:10pm

Post #649 of 666 (51283 views)
Shortcut
Hail and Well Met [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, friends, I am the Petty Dwarf. I first saw Rankin/Bass' The Hobbit movie when I was 8 years old and fell in love with Middle Earth, I am now 20 and am still there. I look forward to discussing Tolkien's works with everyone.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 8 2017, 10:15pm

Post #650 of 666 (50982 views)
Shortcut

Grab a comfy chair and join the discussions!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.