The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Steven Colbert answering Tolkien questions from his audience

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2016, 6:07am

Post #1 of 7 (716 views)
Shortcut
Steven Colbert answering Tolkien questions from his audience Can't Post

Whatever you may think about Colbert and his interpretation of Tolkien, you have to admire his enthusiasm. Smile

https://m.facebook.com/...2&id=545775132233909

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Gianna
Rohan

Aug 7 2016, 9:01pm

Post #2 of 7 (640 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure I could stump him if I got the chance. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been coming up with some wicked hard questions for this Tolkien trivia book I'm putting together. Like how many years it took to build Gondolin, or how great a measurement a Numenorean lar is... Evil

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 8 2016, 3:20pm

Post #3 of 7 (600 views)
Shortcut
Sure Gianna [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, although he seems quite knowledgeable, I think you could quite easily stump him if all your questions are as ‘wicked’ as the ones you quote.

I found his comparison of Frodo not being able to throw the Ring in the fire at Bag End and not being able to throw the Ring in the Crack of Doom interesting (at first blush), but NOT true. . . You could have nailed him on that one!
It’s never stated that Frodo was not able to throw the Ring in the fire at Bag End. The passages referred to were that he reluctantly handed it to Gandalf, and Gandalf threw it in the fire. (Frodo was never asked to throw it in the fire.) So Colbert’s conclusion of the two events is a non sequitur.

If you are working on a Tolkien trivia book you have a compadre, and I know very well what you are attempting. I made a trivia game back in the very early ‘70s, but it was based solely on The Hobbit & LotR. About 4,000 questions & answers with three levels of difficulty. I came oh so close to having it published…
If I had included The Silmarillion, U.T. etc. the questions could have been doubled, trebled, or more.

And over Middle-earth he passed
and heard at last the weeping sore
of women and of elven-maids
in Elder Days, in years of yore.

Gianna
Rohan

Aug 8 2016, 3:35pm

Post #4 of 7 (599 views)
Shortcut
He does make quite a few factual errors. [In reply to] Can't Post

My Tolkien pet peeve is the use of "Maiar" and "Valar" as both the plural and singular form... and he does that. It drives me crazy! Crazy

4000 questions - wow! Too bad it wasn't published; that would be awesome. I'm doing five levels of difficulty, from stuff a casual reader would know to stuff from the Silm and UT that hardcore geeks would be hard put to remember. Sly

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2016, 4:10pm

Post #5 of 7 (595 views)
Shortcut
later in the chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf asks Frodo to try to "do away with it"

Frodo found that he could not do so [fling it into the very hottest part of the fire], not without a great struggle... then he makes an effort of will to cast it away... but found that he had put it back in his pocket.

That said... there might be another kind of "answer" to Stephen's question.

Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 8 2016, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 7 (579 views)
Shortcut
Ah. . . . good catch [In reply to] Can't Post

Trivia points for Elthir and Colbert.

In Reply To
Frodo found that he could not do so [fling it into the very hottest part of the fire], not without a great struggle... then he makes an effort of will to cast it away... but found that he had put it back in his pocket.

I didn’t read far enough (lazy me… Blush).

So Colbert’s comparison of the two fires DOES make sense.

And over Middle-earth he passed
and heard at last the weeping sore
of women and of elven-maids
in Elder Days, in years of yore.

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 9 2016, 1:33am

Post #7 of 7 (560 views)
Shortcut
I've often said [In reply to] Can't Post

...this is the essential sadness in Frodo's story, that he walks all the way to Mount Doom with the knowledge that he won't be able to let it go, but trusting in the Wise who seem to think it's a task appointed to him anyway.

Glad to know Colbert agrees with me, LOL.

a.a.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.