The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Lord of the Rings ultimate edition- possible scene edits

hms_ocean
Rivendell

Jul 13 2016, 1:44pm

Post #1 of 12 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings ultimate edition- possible scene edits Can't Post

If one day they do indeed release an ultimate edition with some added scenes I have been thinking about how these scenes could possibly be added back in as a few of them are pretty big scenes in some rather awkward places. (Just to let you know I am more for only putting quality scenes back in rather than any scene for the sake of it). So I'm really just wondering how they would be edited back into the story.

A good example of this would be the Battle of the Last Alliance. Now we would all love to see the extra battle shots and Gil Galad and we definitely know they shot most of it. However i love the prologue so much and it's one of my favourite sequences in the films I'm not sure I would want it to be expanded upon and draw it out. Could it possibly be included during the Rivendell scene when Elrond is remembering Islurdur not destroying the ring for example???

Another example is the moria orcs chasing the Fellowship into Lothlorien. Now from what I have seen from the photos the battle happens in the light of day so I'm guessing it would take place after the night scene (in the extended edtion) and when the elves are walking them to see Galadriel.??W

Another one would be when Eyown fights the Uruk-hai and Helms' Deep. I'm not sure where this one could fit in. Anytime before Gandalf arrives breaks up the pace too much, anything after and the threat has already gone and Eyown has already been seen hugging Aragorn. Any ideas?

A lot of the other scenes don't really have much of a problem. The extra night scene with Merry and Pipin with the Uruk-hai at camp (the one we saw in the teaser trailer), Frodo and Sam walking around Rivendell, and the supposed scene of Legolas talking to Treebeard could all easily be fitted in as they take place where the pace is not going quickly. This also goes for the extra scenes of Legolas and Gimli at the end of the ROTK.

What are the other extended scenes that were shot that would pose this problem or not?

(ps. I'm not interested in scenes like Aragorn v Sauron for example, that clearly can't go back in the film for the sake of the story).

BallyWhooo
Bree

Jul 14 2016, 2:07am

Post #2 of 12 (2482 views)
Shortcut
A Couple from Me [In reply to] Can't Post

By far the scene(s) I want to see placed back in The Return, of the King are the scenes where Arwen finds information about The Paths of the Dead, which prompts her to request the (re)forging of Anduril. It might also have had information that would make Elrond's news to Aragorn that Arwen is dying/her fate is bound to the Ring make more sense. If he was only trying to tell Aragorn she was not taking the ship, surely he could have said just that.

I would also like to see the scene with the Moria orcs at Lothlorien. It would have been a great place to insert a few seconds of Gollum looking up at the flet before fleeing (maybe even being shot at). But I don't think that part of it was ever mentioned (easy to construct though since Monsieur Smeagol is all digitally-like.

Sam using the phial to get past the sentinels at the door of Cirith Ungol is also something I really hoped to see.

I also think that having Sauron show up at The Black Gate in the final battle was a cool notion and I wish they had gone on with it. Especially now that we have various non-corporeal sightings of Sauron in The Hobbit series. I always thought that everyone at The Gate suddenly being aware of something of huge consequence happen BEFORE it happens (as noted in the book) would be hugely unexpected with Gandalf's cry to everyone booming out magically loud... then a cut to the mountain to see Frodo succomb, Gollum struggle, etc... I think the huge eruption of Mount Doom the Fellowship characters see from the gate and their response to it is absolutely perfect.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 15 2016, 6:49pm

Post #3 of 12 (2399 views)
Shortcut
To me [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit more time spend in Shelobs Lair would be really good.
Too short in the movies, the tension of the book is missing.

And of course, more walking through the Shire at the beginning. Probably my favourite part of all books, so calm,so detailed Heart

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Jul 15 2016, 6:53pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 15 2016, 9:02pm

Post #4 of 12 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Do not forget [In reply to] Can't Post

Éomer riding in the woods

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 19 2016, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 12 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Legolas talking to Treebeard? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and the supposed scene of Legolas talking to Treebeard

Wow! I'd like to see any and all more scenes, whatever they can find Laugh. But this scene I'd never heard about! I'd sure like this one.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jul 21 2016, 12:00am

Post #6 of 12 (2210 views)
Shortcut
I haven't read LOTR in quite a while.................. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which book has this scene of Éomer riding, if I may ask? Cool

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jul 21 2016, 8:27am

Post #7 of 12 (2196 views)
Shortcut
It is not from the book [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Which book has this scene of Éomer riding, if I may ask?

Eomer riding is from one of the trailers for The Two Towers.
https://youtu.be/cvCktPUwkW0 around 1:30.

shaundobson
Rivendell

Jul 25 2016, 9:17pm

Post #8 of 12 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't there... [In reply to] Can't Post

A hint/confirmation that we would get an Ultimate Edition in the future ?

I can remember a post around December which had an interview from the LOTR DVD editor who said that this would eventually happen with new scenes ?

If anyone has original source for this please let me know.

shaundobson
Rivendell

Jul 31 2016, 9:09am

Post #9 of 12 (1981 views)
Shortcut
And secondly... [In reply to] Can't Post

The original cut of the FOTR was 4.5 hours. So there's an extra hour that we haven't seen that wasn't added to the extended edition either.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 2 2016, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 12 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that doesn't look like Éomer to me. There are three persons in that scene -- it seems to me like it's Gandalf, Aragorn and Legolas, respectively (possibly Gimli on the back of the horse of Legolas?).

Either way, cool. Didn't know that scene existed. But there are more interesting unseen shots in that trailer in my opinion.

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Aug 2 2016, 4:58pm)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 3 2016, 2:10am

Post #11 of 12 (1901 views)
Shortcut
Actually.......... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realised that the shot you and Dain Pig were talking about is not this one. It's the one right after the shot with Théoden crying.

My mistake. Wink

On the other hand, I don't see what's so interesting about this scene... Crazy lol

Captain Boromir

Aug 17 2016, 6:43pm

Post #12 of 12 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Gift giving scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they ever filmed it but it would have been cool if they added Boromir receiving his belt in the gift giving scene. Just to complete it.

[URL=http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/BoromirstewardofGondor/media/boromir%202_zpsihyznkdx.png.html]

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.