Star Wars vs Star Trek Can't Post

Which do you like better better?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 25 2016, 1:23pm

Post #2 of 44 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Classic Ttrek [In reply to] Can't Post

If I must choose then I choose Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 25 2016, 1:53pm

Post #3 of 44 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Apples and oranges. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from both starting with the word Star and having spaceships, they have nothing in common. I love both, for different reasons. Trek has the utopian vision of an adventurous future; Wars has the mythological epic struggle of light vs darkness.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2016, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 44 (1764 views)
Shortcut
Right now... the rebooted Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the original Star Trek series in 66 and then the reruns and more reruns every day for decades. even watched the animated series.

Watched but was not as impressed by the movies of the '80s. Enjoyed Next Generation immensely. Tried to like Voyager. Never got into Enterprise or Deep Space Nine. The Next Gen movies seemed to be repeats.

Have enjoyed the reboots in the alternate time line... though I still find myself rolling my eyes a bit and thinking "how many times can they destroy the Enterprise and still give this guy a ship?"....

As for Star Wars.... What are now labeled Episodes 4, 5, 6 were my Star Wars.... tried to watch 1, 2, and 3 but the clunky dialog kept dragging me out of the movie....... Went to the newest one ... there are some interesting elements there but it remains to be seen whether they pan out.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 25 2016, 7:13pm

Post #5 of 44 (1747 views)
Shortcut
I second this. Apples and oranges. Empires and Navels. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2016, 9:08pm

Post #6 of 44 (1735 views)
Shortcut
the Wars dude... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Wars...

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 26 2016, 12:46am

Post #7 of 44 (1717 views)
Shortcut
TOS - "The City on the Edge of Forever" [In reply to] Can't Post

It don't get no better!

McCoy: "Do you know what you've done Jim?"
Spock: "He knows doctor, he knows."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2016, 2:08am

Post #8 of 44 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Trek forever. No contest. Smile Smile Smile

Dwarewien
Rohan

Jul 26 2016, 2:35am

Post #9 of 44 (1702 views)
Shortcut
If I had to choose... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would go with Star Wars (even though I'm not that into them at the moment), since I love a good battle.

Back in the days when I was a Trekkie, I preferred the spin-offs to the original series (TNG and Voyager mostly, since I preferred the ship based shows rather than DS9, which was set on a space station). I have no interest in the new Star Trek movies.Smile

Annael
Immortal

Jul 26 2016, 3:32pm

Post #10 of 44 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Wars just tells the same story over and over, of the hero going up against some big bad guy and out-Forcing him.

The Star Trek movies on the other hand, even when they are telling a similar story, are all about people working together and coming up with innovative solutions even when they are hopelessly outgunned. And the television shows were even more imaginative in their ideas about the future, about different ways to have a civilization, about the potential for a people to evolve.

Perhaps my favorite episode ever is TNG's "Cause and Effect" where the Enterprise is caught in a time loop, and the increasing sense of deja vu causes the senior staff to become suspicious and finally figure out what is going on and how to get out of it. With a poker game at the heart of the story.

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jul 26 2016, 5:51pm

Post #11 of 44 (1652 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars Forever! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look, I think Star Trek has really nice ideas and I love the J.J. Abrams' reboot but growing up as a kid watching Luke look out into the sunset really had an emotional impact on me and if not all of us. We all want adventure. That's why we love Tolkien. Because of the adventure and the characters. Star Trek is about people working together and exploring new worlds, but Star Wars is the story of good and evil. If you walk up to someone today and say who is Pavel Chekov? They will stop and think for a moment. But if you say who is Greedo? They will say the alien who did NOT shoot first in Star Wars.
Even though not all of us love the prequels there are bad Star Trek movies too! But there all also great ones. But each great one of Star Wars I think is ten times better than the good Star Trek movies, in my opinion.
Star Wars changed the world as we know it...

(This post was edited by HOBBITFAN13 on Jul 26 2016, 5:55pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 26 2016, 7:57pm

Post #12 of 44 (1642 views)
Shortcut
"Star Wars just tells the same story over and over, of the hero going up against some big bad guy and out-Forcing him." [In reply to] Can't Post

Not entirely; remember the climactic moment of the original trilogy was when Luke was clearly out-Forced and only won because of a father's love. That was pretty much the opposite of what was expected, and the most powerful twist of the entire saga, IMO.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 26 2016, 10:40pm

Post #13 of 44 (1630 views)
Shortcut
but [In reply to] Can't Post

that was just a twist on the ending. The basic story: still the same.

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jul 27 2016, 1:16am

Post #14 of 44 (1618 views)
Shortcut
It's not the same story... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Empire Strikes Back is the same story as A New Hope? Return of the Jedi is the same story as A New Hope?

(This post was edited by HOBBITFAN13 on Jul 27 2016, 1:17am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 27 2016, 3:39am

Post #15 of 44 (1603 views)
Shortcut
I voted for "Star Wars" [In reply to] Can't Post

mostly because "A New Hope" is my all-time favorite movie. I like the re-booted Trek movies better than almost all other Trek movies - funny, with the original crew it was every other movie that was good, that being 2, 4 & 6. With TNG crew, I only liked the one with the Borg Queen - can't remember what that one is called. The very first Trek movie was so awful, I can't believe another one was even made!

But as a whole, NONE of them compare to Middle-earth movies! Sorry, just had to throw that one out there!

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2016, 8:19am

Post #16 of 44 (1587 views)
Shortcut
SW is much better [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jul 28 2016, 10:51pm

Post #17 of 44 (1494 views)
Shortcut
well . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Wars is all about people going good/going bad while fighting the Evil Emperor and each other:

SW 1: Jedi knight Chi Gon defeated by former Jedi turned to the "dark side" by Evil Emperor
SW 2: Jedi knight trained by Obi-Wan turns to "dark side" under influence of Evil Emperor,, becomes Vader
SW 3: Obi-wan defeats Vader but Evil Emperor still in power
SW 4: Jedi knight, Luke, trained by Obi-Wan, destroys Death Star of Evil Emperor; Vader kills Obi-Wan
SW 5: Luke is tempted to turn to "dark side" by Vader
SW 6: Luke's refusal to turn to dark side redeems Vader who kills Evil Emperor
SW 7: Two potential Jedis; Ren goes to the "dark side" under influence of new Evil Guy, Rey seeks Luke for training
SW 8 & 9: I think we can guess what's going to happen: Rey will do more training and eventually defeat the Evil Guy & redeem Ren

And yes, one could argue that Star Trek movies basically have two plots:
1. They stop a madman from destroying the Earth/the Federation/another planet/another culture
2. They facilitate the birth of a new species or a new alliance
(and sometimes they travel in time to do one or the other)
but "The Search for Spock" and "The Final Frontier" don't fit either.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 28 2016, 10:52pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 29 2016, 9:28am

Post #18 of 44 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

The Universe is much broader and exciting to me, I've never been much of a Trekky and through the films, videogames, artwork etc I've had a much higher exposure to Wars than Trek, the Star Trek films/TV episodes I've seen, though enjoyable in their own way often seem to be tackling broadly similar topics again and again.

And you can't beat a decent lightsaber fight...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 29 2016, 1:07pm

Post #19 of 44 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Interesting ST/SW Connection [In reply to] Can't Post

The novelizations of both the original Star Wars and Star Trek: The Motion Picture were ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster (the former credited to Gene Roddenberry and the latter attributed to George Lucas). Foster had previously written the book series adapting the episodes of Star Trek: The Animated Series, and he later authored the first original Star Wars spin-off novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 29 2016, 1:08pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 30 2016, 2:19am

Post #20 of 44 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Amen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't possibly say it better than you have.Smile

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Jul 30 2016, 3:39pm

Post #21 of 44 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

No question.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jul 30 2016, 8:03pm

Post #22 of 44 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek [In reply to] Can't Post

As bad as Star Trek V or the Next Gen or JJ-verse movies were, none of them compare to the exrement that was the Star Wars prequels.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a cerebral voyage that went to the roots of Star Trek (to some extent, it was an expanded version of the TOS episode, "The Changeling") and asked what the meaning of life is and what it meant to be human. As much as I enjoyed Luke's view of the sunset, nothing in any of the other movies compares to Scotty showing off the new Enterprise in spacedock as he takes Kirk over in the small transport.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jul 31 2016, 8:59am

Post #23 of 44 (1385 views)
Shortcut
My intellect leans in one direction, my heart in another [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to be voting on the Trek side of this thing, as I feel the best films and episodes bearing the name ask tougher questions and delve into far more thought-provoking responses than Star Wars has ever cared to aspire to (at least at this point and, considering the difference in genre, probably until the end of time). Having now laid out that strange and ultimately meaningless ambition, I feel a large cliche bubbling up to the surface, swimming swiftly past any sort of adult rationale and distanced reasoning: I grew up loving the original Star Wars trilogy and I both still enjoy the films very much and find them more successful at general cinematic splendor.

Omnigeek is surely correct, however, that absolutely nothing in the Trekkie universe touches the abortion that is the prequel trilogy. I think I may have written this here before, but they really do feel like the work of a director who was absolutely sick and tired of being intrinsically connected to a near-20-year-old (at the time) set of films that gradually moved further and further away from his sole influence/control and was constantly being lavished with adoration because of them. Basically, they felt like the work of someone who deeply resented the original Star Wars trilogy.

So what can a ludicrously rich, frustrated and bitter director do to better his situation? The answer, it seemed, was to go back to the property that brought him to this place in life and systematically dismantle everything that made the original films special in the first place, starting with crafting a few plot lines that make almost no sense as presented (or not presented in several cases), punctuating those plots with the most horrendous dialogue imaginable, casting capable actors but advising them not to act (rendering some of the most terrible lines in big-budget cinema history even worse due to the dead-on-arrival readings by actors way above the material), film darn near everything in front of a green screen and then not go back and add backgrounds or effects that are interesting in any way save for how pointlessly busy they all are and - most importantly - change the rules of the beloved universe whilst botching the most important elements the movies needed to nail at the same time (the friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, what provokes Anakin to become Vader, the nature of the force itself, etc.).

I really like the best Trek has to offer and I really like the best Wars has delivered. I choose the latter because they mean more to me (well, about half of them, anyway) and also because I think George Lucas would want me to vote for the former.

He made Greedo shoot first. He made Jabba the Hutt who Jabba turned out to be in a precursing scene where Jabba was not supposed to be the Jabba he became and so Han Solo steps on his tail. The man is trying to talk his way out of not getting killed by this 600 lb. slug and stepping on his tail isn't an issue. Not a problem. He made Anakin a fulfiller of a prophecy (why?), not because he's skilled in the ways of the force, but because... because of something and helps out by accidentally shooting enemies and spinning his spaceship around because, "That's a good trick!" Oh, it is such a good trick, indeed. Lucas made Anakin kill men, women and children and Amidala still goes, "Oh no, it's still okay if you impregnate me. I know you're a big sweetie at the core of all that psychosis." Except the actual lines were a cute fight on how beautiful she is because she's in love with him, but also because he's in love with her and...

Lucas hated what his Empire had become and wanted to irreversibly taint it (granting him distance and independence from it). He simply did not count enough on just how insanely blind fans can be when they desperately want to love something. The prequels were a failed attempt at destroying Star Wars for good, like a medieval beheading that was definitely a good swing, but just didn't quite clear the cervical vertebrae. Not one Star Trek film or T.V. episode I have personally seen feels like a similar attempt to kill off everything that originally drew people in to Gene Roddenberry's science fiction universe and that's something, to be sure.

But Lucas would have me vote against the OT and so, I won't. Smile

wizzardly
Rohan

Jul 31 2016, 6:01pm

Post #24 of 44 (1366 views)
Shortcut
That's a bit harsh on Mr. Lucas [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure the prequels don't quite stand up to the originals in my personal opinion, but at least it was his story to portray as he, as an artist, saw fit. I find it amusing and perplexing that so many people are so willing to attack Mr. Lucas for his artistic decisions regarding his story that he created, then go on to defend PJ's artistic alterations to a beloved story that he did not create. Couldn't every one of your critiques of the sw prequels also be said of pj's hobbit?

Crafting plot lines that make no sense?...check
Horrendous dialogue?...check
Capable actors not being used to their full potential?...check
Obvious green screen galore?...check
Changing important elements of the original lore that alter key points of the narrative?...checkarooney!

All I'm saying is that George gets far too much hate directed at him, and I think he deserves more love than he gets. If it were not for him, there wouldn't be a Star Wars universe at all.

And I voted for Star Wars, just because I love Ewoks. Heart

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Jul 31 2016, 6:24pm

Post #25 of 44 (1355 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the Hobbit trilogy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I think the Hobbit trilogy is better than the Star Wars prequels, I agree 100% about the comparison about the Hobbit trilogy and Star Wars prequel trilogy.
About the whole too much hate on George Lucas. I feel bad but honestly he kind of knew that people take Star Wars seriously before he did the prequels. He should've asked for help. I blame the producers of the prequel trilogy as much as I do for George. They needed to say the word "No".

(This post was edited by HOBBITFAN13 on Jul 31 2016, 6:25pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.