First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 16 2016, 3:08am

Post #26 of 37 (570 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...that WK took no hurt from Frodo's stroke, for all blades perish that strike him. So, not even a flesh wound for Lord Angmar.

And the beginning of that paragraph Aragorn says:

'Look!' he cried; and stooping he lifted from the ground a black cloak . . .

So it’s a good thing that Mrs. WK made him take an extra black cloak as he had a black cloak on during the chase to the Ford.

Was he ever referred to as “Angmar” or “Lord Angmar”, or just the Witch-king of Angmar?

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 16 2016, 3:18am

Post #27 of 37 (569 views)
Shortcut
* BG applauses * [In reply to] Can't Post

As not being the only one to wonder about the “shrill cry”.

*Platonic hugs* Wink

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 16 2016, 3:31am

Post #28 of 37 (564 views)
Shortcut
Nice quote find from “The Hunt for the Ring” a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gives me more hope that it was the WK that made the shrill cry. The phrase quoted seems to flow that way.

But, as you say it’s just one reader’s opinion. (Well . . . two now. Let’s get together for tea and cakes! Tongue)

-Glóin

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 16 2016, 6:55am

Post #29 of 37 (562 views)
Shortcut
The Witch-king of Angmar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Was he ever referred to as “Angmar” or “Lord Angmar”, or just the Witch-king of Angmar?

Without having a citation at hand, I'm going to say that the Witch-king could be called Angmar in the same way that the Duke of Cornwall (for example) might be referred to as simply Cornwall.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 16 2016, 7:00am)

InTheChair
Rohan

Jul 16 2016, 8:33am

Post #30 of 37 (549 views)
Shortcut
Why did you cry George? I don't know Ralph, that Tarzan movie yestreday must have inspired. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's the WiKi crying out in genuine horror and anger at just how close he has come to a prematurely bad end, underestimating the little hobbit andall.

I also think it's the Witch-king crying, either, and probably, becasue the name of Elbereth hold some kind of pain for him, which seems a Tolkinesque idea, or because he wants to stun Frodo and the other hobbits into terrified inaction. He would propbably not fear Aragorn who did not have the deadly weapons that the hobbits did.

Speaking of stunned. What did they do with Bill the pony while camping on Weathertop? Shadowfax alone of horses would dare to face the terror of the Witch-king, but good old Billy he doesn't even make a sound or warning, or run off or anything, or perhaps he does but it isn't mentioned.

dreamflower
Lorien

Jul 16 2016, 12:37pm

Post #31 of 37 (544 views)
Shortcut
Well, now I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why I have always imagined it from the front. It wouldn't have been because of the movies, as I read the books decades before the first movie came out. But I never really noticed the sequence of the event before.

And of course, since the movies came out, I'm sure I (and many others) have been influenced by all those scenes of Frodo rubbing his shoulder to show his pain--that would have been kind of hard if the wound was in the back.

I wonder, is there any place in canon where JRRT mentions Frodo touching his shoulder? I can't recall any to mind.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 16 2016, 12:56pm

Post #32 of 37 (538 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'd always assumed "front" 'till last time I read it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly it's because throwing yourself at your enemy's feet is such an unexpected fighting move?

I suspect that Frodo has given himself into the hands of the gods, and since he "finds himself" doing that, we can also speculate about whose idea it was.

~~~~~~
volunteers are still needed to lead chapters for our upcoming Book VI ROTK read-through (Book V is all signed up, thanks!) http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=904377#904377

A set of links to our Book III discussions can be found here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=886383#886383

A set of links to the Book IV discussions are here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=899201#899201

A wonderful list of links to Boook II, Book I and previous read-throughs is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 16 2016, 1:23pm

Post #33 of 37 (537 views)
Shortcut
Buffalo says: [In reply to] Can't Post

Without having a citation at hand, I'm going to say that the Witch-king could be called Angmar in the same way that the Duke of Cornwall (for example) might be referred to as simply Cornwall.

Could be? But I find no textual reference to him being called “Angmar”, Lord Angmar, or even “Lord of Angmar”. Just a rare occasion as “The Witch-king of Angmar”.

-Boise
(Or need we be a Lord, Duke, or King to be called simply by our place of residence?)

-Glóin

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 19 2016, 12:36am

Post #34 of 37 (480 views)
Shortcut
I never thought about the extra black cloak--good catch! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 19 2016, 12:38am

Post #35 of 37 (485 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly it's because throwing yourself at your enemy's feet is such an unexpected fighting move?

I'm a horrible fighter myself, and that sounds like something dumb that I would do. I can see an equally unfighterlike race like the hobbits doing something that foolish. And if you catch your enemy by surprise, even while at a disadvantage in position, it's still surprise.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 19 2016, 11:24am

Post #36 of 37 (473 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, it’s one of those sneaky “cloak-shots” like… [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo’s cloak:

From a locked drawer, smelling of moth-balls, he took out an old cloak and hood. . . . but they were so patched and weatherstained that their original colour could hardly be guessed: it might have been dark green.

-A Long-expected Party

It’s NOT the dark-green cloak and hood that Bilbo borrowed from Dwalin, as they were lost squeezing out the back-door of the Goblins cave.

In Reply To
I never thought about the extra black cloak--good catch!

-Glóin

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jul 23 2016, 7:04pm

Post #37 of 37 (460 views)
Shortcut
Back under shoulder blade [In reply to] Can't Post

I always felt he was struck in the back, just under the shoulder blade. The actual shoulder muscle on the side doesn't work well since the blade was working its way inward and the only way I could see him getting a frontal wound in the shoulder area would be if he rolled off after he dove and struck the enemy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.