The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone bought the soundtracks?

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jul 22 2016, 3:18pm

Post #1 of 8 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Anyone bought the soundtracks? Can't Post

Hi, the first hobbit CD came with an app by which you could unlock stuff from the CD cover, and it also said you could unlock ''additional content''............... but all I can do is unlock the video of Ed Sherran's song ''I See Fire''.

But is that ALL the WaterTower Music App can unlock? I tried it on all special edition soundtracks, by the way.

Can anyone who does have the soundtracks confirm this for me? Thanks.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Jul 22 2016, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 8 (1631 views)
Shortcut
If I Recall Correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

You point the camera while running the WaterTower music app at parts of the booklet that comes with the CD.

There are handwritten musical sketches by Shore of the themes, among the liner notes, and if you point the camera at the music it will open up a short video playing the theme that you are looking at.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jul 25 2016, 8:06am

Post #3 of 8 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was hugely helpful. Will try to do that and see if it works. Will probably note it here if it does. Wink

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2016, 12:03pm

Post #4 of 8 (1525 views)
Shortcut
I've "archived" all the content that was available [In reply to] Can't Post

You can follow the link in my footer to see the content from the soundtracks.

Generally speaking, there were:
1. Music videos for the end credit songs.
2. Behind the scenes montages.
3. Videos that played most of the themes from the films upon scanning the musical notations/bars in the booklets.

If I recall correctly, some of this may no longer be available through the app itself; and I think at least one video that was accessible by scanning a page from the AUJ soundtrack was replaced when DOS was released. Luckily, I got them all in time.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 25 2016, 12:06pm)

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Jul 25 2016, 7:01pm

Post #5 of 8 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You can follow the link in my footer to see the content from the soundtracks.

Generally speaking, there were:
1. Music videos for the end credit songs.
2. Behind the scenes montages.
3. Videos that played most of the themes from the films upon scanning the musical notations/bars in the booklets.

If I recall correctly, some of this may no longer be available through the app itself; and I think at least one video that was accessible by scanning a page from the AUJ soundtrack was replaced when DOS was released. Luckily, I got them all in time.

Wow--this is excellent! Thank you! I haven't seen your site before now but am glad to have all that content in one, accessible location.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 2 2016, 4:39pm

Post #6 of 8 (1364 views)
Shortcut
This is interesting indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I have more time, I will check out in your page all the stuff that is no longer available by using the app. Cool

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 9 2016, 2:00pm

Post #7 of 8 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Glad you found it interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

... am glad to have all that content in one, accessible location

That was my intent Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 9 2016, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 8 (1264 views)
Shortcut
I still have the app on my phone although it hasn't been updated in a while [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as the official, documented version history, the app was last updated with the DOS album artwork on the intro video. But I know it was updated for the BOFA content a year later.

I should probably go and see if there's anything new on there (though I highly doubt it).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.