Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Are any of these Middle Earth movies actually your favorite movie of all time?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 30 2016, 2:22am

Post #26 of 32 (1149 views)
Shortcut
There ya go! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my second fav.Smile

Fereth
Rivendell

Aug 1 2016, 1:45am

Post #27 of 32 (1111 views)
Shortcut
My "favorite movie of all time" is constantly changing depending on my mood and interests [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can safely say that the LOTR and the Hobbit trilogies are on the list.

Other "favorite movies of all time" include Star Treks 2 through 4, the original Star Wars movies, SW: TFA, The Conjuring, The Black Stallion, Watership Down, HTTYD, Zootopia, and others.

(This post was edited by Fereth on Aug 1 2016, 1:46am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2016, 6:29am

Post #28 of 32 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Number one favorite of all time? [In reply to] Can't Post

No. I don't know what I would consider my all time favorite--I don't think I have *one* favorite--but it wouldn't be any of these films. However, LOTR taken as a whole, but especially the first two, would definitely be in my top twenty-five.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 5 2016, 1:29pm

Post #29 of 32 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Not my favorite, but close [In reply to] Can't Post

They are all in my top 20:

1) Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
2) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
3) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
4) The Avengers: Age of Ultron
5) Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
6) The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Fan edit)
7) Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
8) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
9) Man of Steel
10) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
11) Guardians of the Galaxy
12) Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
13) The Dark Knight
14) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Fan Edit)
15) Captain America: Civil War
16) Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
17) The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
18) Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
19) The Avengers
20) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

If you take my fan edit out of the equation then DOS probably comes in at around 30 or so (9/10) and BOFA is a long ways down (7/10).

AUJ, FOTR, TTT, and ROTK are all 10/10 - although I can't stand Aragorn killing the Mouth of Sauron or the Witch-king beating Gandalf. However I keep it at a 10 and it keeps its spot in the top 10 because the theatrical version includes none of those things (although you lose the great Saruman scene). Plus they aren't movie-ruiningly bad or even close to that (same with my problems with the latter 2 Hobbit films), just nitpicks I have.

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Aug 5 2016, 1:36pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2016, 6:54pm

Post #30 of 32 (1025 views)
Shortcut
LotR is my favorite trilogy of all time, [In reply to] Can't Post

and, counting it as one film, it made the top 20 in a top 200 films list i did a few years back (i think it was 14th or 15th). And i don't think that has changed, and, if anything, it might have moved up a spot or two.

The Hobbit, not so much. Actually, looking at that list, i gave the Hobbit trilogy the 200th spot on an honorary basis, not having seen them all yet (i made the list around the time AUJ came out). Now, only AUJ would make the list, as i don't really think much of the trilogy as a whole.

the_argonath
Lorien

Aug 16 2016, 11:08pm

Post #31 of 32 (939 views)
Shortcut
Yep.... [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR/TH are actually my favourite films. I class them together because I can't chose! Perhaps joint with Potter actually! But then there's times when you fancy a different film, perhaps not the fantasy genre, but they're still my favourites to return to Heart

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

Just some light reading....

Ormi

Sep 3 2016, 1:11am

Post #32 of 32 (509 views)
Shortcut
Yes they really are [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched these forums for years upon years and yet I have never participated, but I figured this was as good of a post as ever for me to add my comments.

Nothing beats LOTR for me, nothing. Nothing has come really close. I'm a fairly big fantasy nerd and sci fi nerd (love Star Trek and its themes and ideals) but LOTR takes the cake. I am also a movie/tv/video game music score fanatic, and while I don't normally name Howard Shore as my favorite composer, these movies, are undoubtedly my favorite compositions.

The Hobbit movies are up there, very up there, although I don't normally number my movies in order of favorites, as in the end it always turns into LOTR>everything else. The music scores for those movies is actually quite excellent to me, but they still lack the deep emotional highs and lows that came with LOTR.

I think LOTR has everything I want in a movie. The score is just so incredible, so intelligently written, yet the character connections are so deep and the characters themselves so rounded and real, the quality of the filming, the use of miniatures, the fact that the movies feel like such a historical perspective, all adds to my pure love for these movies. I have never been bored with these movies and I watch them almost monthly, if not several times a month. They say so much to be about friendship, integrity, honor, and having the will to carry on in the face of absolute destruction, themes that I do find mirrored in Star Trek, but LOTR handles them on such an epic scale.

So yes, LOTR is my number one favorite movie(s) of all time.

(By the way, if there are any film score buffs like me out there that completely want to nerd out over this or any other film scores, I would love to hear from you :) )

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.