Rare JRR Tolkien poem The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun to be republished

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 17 2016, 12:45pm

Post #1 of 4 (786 views)
Shortcut
Rare JRR Tolkien poem The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun to be republished Can't Post

https://www.theguardian.com/...ed-lord-of-the-rings

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 19 2016, 12:31am

Post #2 of 4 (740 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that news [In reply to] Can't Post

It helps explain why Boromir and Eomer (and their countries) feared Galadriel, seeing a dark side to her, the way real people fear fairy folk living in the woods, always up to no good.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 24 2016, 1:57am

Post #3 of 4 (714 views)
Shortcut
Funny that the writer couldn't get either Shippey or Flieger to agree with the publisher's nonsensical puffery about Galadriel being a Corrigan. [In reply to] Can't Post

HarperCollins said: “The sequence shows the Corrigan’s increasingly powerful presence, as she takes an ever more active role in the lives of Aotrou and Itroun … She would finally emerge, changed in motive and character but still recognisable, in The Lord of the Rings as the beautiful and terrible Lady of the Golden Wood, the Elven queen Galadriel.”

Doubtless Galadriel in The Lord of the Rings has the reputation, among those who never meet her, of being an entrancing and perilous Faerie Queen. But the magic of Galadriel's character is that, in Tolkien's typical fashion, he penetrates to the core of a mythology and explores what a Faerie Queen might "really" be like. The result has as little to do with the traditional Irish Corrigan portrayed in The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun as can be imagined. It's like comparing Hobbits to leprechauns, or Gimli to Rumpelstiltskin, or the One Ring to the Ring of the Nibelungs.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2016, 9:27am

Post #4 of 4 (698 views)
Shortcut
I agree - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I've a copy of Tolkien's original poem, in the Welsh Review, and I see no comparison between Galadriel and the Corrigan.

People seem too fond of looking for 'influences' for Tolkien's works; whether in old writings, or in locations. Someone walks through a wood and it reminds them of something they read in Tolkien (or more likely, seen in the movies) because whenever there's the headline 'Was Tolkien influenced by (insert name here) there's usually a still from one or other of the movies to accompany the piece. But what most people (except Shippey) overlook is Tolkien's love for Language, and this goes deep into his creativity.

When I read the poem I'm put in mind of a paper which Tolkien had published in 1925, while he was teaching at Leeds. It's called 'Some Contributions to Middle English Lexicography', and in this paper Tolkien looks at some words and phrases in Middle English which scholars had found vexing. For instance, the word 'medi'. The conventional wisdom up to that point was that this was a mis-spelling of 'medl', thus the first recorded use of the word 'meddle'. The phrase it's used in is 'medi mid wicchen', usually translated as 'meddle with witches' (or wizards, I like to suppose). Smile

But no, said Tolkien - the spelling is correct, it reads 'medi mid wicchen', as in 'bribe, purchase the services of witches'. The idea being that it is wrong or evil to deal or barter with witches, and as I say, I have this phrase very much in the front of my mind whenever I read of Lord Aoutrou and the Corrigan.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jul 24 2016, 9:29am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.