Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Doug Adams' book about LOTR music should be ready by the end of the year

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 24 2008, 9:58pm

Post #1 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams' book about LOTR music should be ready by the end of the year Can't Post

Tonight is the North American debut of the FOTR screened with a live score. Doug Adams, friend of TORn, talked about his forthcoming book about Shore's work on LOTR. The story is posted on TORn's main page.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 24 2008, 11:53pm

Post #2 of 9 (692 views)
Shortcut
Some good stuff in there. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this quote:
“It is a weird hybrid between a coffee table book and a text book,” said Adams of his project now years in the making. “Fans of these films are used to visual opulence. We don’t want to be the ones to drop the ball on that front.”

visual opulence... yum.

and this:

“You could make it a masters’ thesis if you want to but I wanted it to be approachable. I don’t want people to feel like they are sitting down to crack open a dictionary. I want to make something that is engaging, both intellectually and emotionally. I hope it will get people looking at this as a very serious music venture.”

whew... glad to hear that. People keep thinking I'm some sort of music scholar and I am so not! I need the layman's version of everything.

and finally, MrCere said,

"Doug Adams likes his life, he says so on his professional and personal blog and its obvious when you speak to him. Chances are if you appreciate the “Lord of the Rings” films’ soundtracks, you would like his life too."
I said just that. Doug wrote on his blog, "I love my life" and I responded just the way MrCere thought I might. "LOL, Doug... I'd like your life too."

I can see it now... Being Doug Adams :-)

Thanks, MrCere.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2008, 12:05am

Post #3 of 9 (697 views)
Shortcut
Isn't this the most awesome night!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Adam's book is one that I've been waiting for almost as anxiously as The Hobbit news we also just got! My ears are ringing from the heart pumping I've got going on!

You've anticipated this book and been so wonderful about keeping us posted on the progress. Thanks for all you do for us, Magpie. What a life! What a life! *geeky hug*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

_V_
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 12:25am

Post #4 of 9 (664 views)
Shortcut
I will definately buy this [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2008, 12:27am

Post #5 of 9 (630 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know his story [In reply to] Can't Post

and how he came to become so involved. He sounds like someone who occasionally has to pinch himself just to make sure it's not all a dream.

This sounds like the quintessential book on how to celebrate music/scoring. Once again, because of artistic inspiration through Tolkien's work, another bar is set.

*cuts, pastes article* This has gotten me so excited about what Adams has been doing! I'm going to put this between the pages as soon as I get my hands on my copy.

Thanks MrCere!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

ArathornJax
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 12:56am

Post #6 of 9 (650 views)
Shortcut
His book will make my [In reply to] Can't Post

wife's Christmas shopping for me a little easier. I will look forward to reading this between Christmas and the New Year IF my two kids don't take it from me first (they are teenagers and both heavily into music). I'm also looking forward to the two dvd's that will come with the book

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 4:19am

Post #7 of 9 (627 views)
Shortcut
More wonderful news!! Thanks MrCere!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Patty
Immortal

Apr 25 2008, 3:39pm

Post #8 of 9 (666 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, if I can only find somewhere to buy the RotK complete recordings. Here's hoping it will show up for sell again soon! I'm such a completest--the book and all the recordings are a must- have.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2008, 3:42pm

Post #9 of 9 (618 views)
Shortcut
Complete Recordings of the ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now, if I can only find somewhere to buy the RotK complete recordings. Here's hoping it will show up for sell again soon! I'm such a completest--the book and all the recordings are a must- have.

Patty, this isn't necessarily 'new' news but perhaps slightly soothing, nonetheless.

Doug has addressed this issue in the past but I always wonder if he's come upon new information that he can't share. But in the last few days he's posted this at moviemusic.com

Originally posted by PeterK (owner of moviemusic.com... which sells soundtracks) 04-22-2008:
The silence about the future of the ROTK complete box set is not golden.

Doug answered 04-23-2008:

Unfortunately this only news is that there's no new news. I've added an update to the Blog's FAQ which states, in short, that the set is not discontinued or cancelled. We don't know what the current hang-up is with the label, but don't start shelling out to eBay scammers... it'll be back sooner or later.

Sorry I don't have more details, but this is all I know.

Posted by BigT1981 04-24-2008:
Thanks for the info Doug. It's good to know though that these aren't discontinued or canceled. I will hold out and wait hoping that Reprise does get another pressing going soon.

Doug answered 04-24-2008:
Believe me, we all hope so too! A TON of work went into this project, and its unfortunate that it's been made a victim of its own popularity. But again, I'm told that there's no cause for alarm, and that it'll be back on shelves soon.

I think I've mentioned this before, but if not: It's important to note that Howard retained the rights to every element in this project. If there are problems with the record label (and I'm not suggesting there are, just saying...) he'll always be able to put it out through another company, or simply distribute it himself. So one way or the other, there's no chance that this will disappear without a trace. Don't give in to the allure of eBay! (And, from my standpoint, I'd be happy to see people stay away from iTunes as well, but I'm obviously very, very biased!)

-Doug

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.