Of interest to nerds, knitters, and possibly Inferno

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 2 2016, 2:52pm

Post #1 of 12 (888 views)
Shortcut
Of interest to nerds, knitters, and possibly Inferno Can't Post

I know it's been awhile since my previous login, but:

(in case it's not clear, all thread and post counts since the beginning of time are new)

Just a curiosity, not a problem.

And for the record, I peek in more frequently than I log in - Thanks!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 2 2016, 2:53pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Jul 2 2016, 3:47pm

Post #2 of 12 (834 views)
Shortcut
Cirashala had apparently the same problem a couple days ago [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=908423#908423

Entmaiden thought she'd probably deleted her cookies.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 2 2016, 4:24pm

Post #3 of 12 (830 views)
Shortcut
Small clarification - [In reply to] Can't Post

my suspicion is that browser settings automatically delete the cookies after a period of inactivity, not that someone deliberately deleted their cookies.

But either way, I think this situation occurs because of the browser and not because of something on TORN.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 2 2016, 6:58pm

Post #4 of 12 (822 views)
Shortcut
You're correct [In reply to] Can't Post

Cookies are how the forum software, communicating with the cookies on a user's internet browser, keeps track of how many read/unread posts someone has, among other things. Each cookies has a time-frame built into it after which it's deleted from the internet browser and/or expires, and the information it remembered is lost. If enough time passes between visits, the cookie that remembered what boards have been visited expires and there's nothing on one's computer to help TORn remember. If a user is someone who deletes their cookies every now and then, they'd see the same thing the first time they revisited TORn until new cookies are put in place.

At TORn, the cookie that tracks read/unread messages actually works on a board-by-board basis. I know because I allow the cookie that keeps me from having to log in every time I visit, but today I had over 5,000 "unread messages" on The Arena because I haven't clicked on The Arena link in a while (nothing against The Arena! It's actually a compliment because it means there'sconsistently nothing too nefarious going on there Wink). There's no way to prevent it except by coming back and/or clicking into each board, more often.

If it's bothersome to see all those 'unread' posts, there's a yellow 'mark all read' link at the bottom of the Forum view that will reset everything to 'read.'

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 6 2016, 2:08pm

Post #5 of 12 (782 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link and the answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I missed Cirashala's post.

I've long been interested in the statistical life of TORn... a treasure, nay a priceless haven worthy of association with Tolkien.

Thanks again.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jul 6 2016, 2:09pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 6 2016, 6:11pm

Post #6 of 12 (769 views)
Shortcut
I have been reading the portents [In reply to] Can't Post

And these strange numbers tell me you have been absent from these shores for too long.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 6 2016, 7:13pm

Post #7 of 12 (765 views)
Shortcut
He's ba-ack! - and he's on a roll, Starling. [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out the LOTR Movie Forum LOTR Caption Contests. Someone was feeling in a very funny mood this morning, eh?Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 7 2016, 1:31am

Post #8 of 12 (749 views)
Shortcut
Hi Liss! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you and Starling and many other familiar faces

Things have let up a bit in RL as many of our programs shut down for the summer. With some free time on my hands, having a little fun with dear friends is my first priority.

Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 7 2016, 5:51am

Post #9 of 12 (735 views)
Shortcut
Are you aware of the new TORn fees? [In reply to] Can't Post

$5 per post. You need to give it to me so I can look after it.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jul 8 2016, 4:35pm

Post #10 of 12 (699 views)
Shortcut
Dang, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would pay but I just wired my entire savings to a Rhodesian bank so they can unlock the inheritance my great great uncle -- who I'd never heard of, can you imagine?! -- left me. The inheritance couldn't have come at a better time because I need even more money in order to claim my winnings from the Royal Tinsali State Lottery I didn't know I entered. With part of the proceeds from that I can finally clear up all the bureaucratic red tape in order to fly my online girlfriend (who's been trapped in Ghana ever since going there as a missionary 10 years ago) here so we can wed!

NottaSackville
Valinor

Jul 8 2016, 5:45pm

Post #11 of 12 (682 views)
Shortcut
So sorry to hear that, SirDennis! Let me know where I can make a donation // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 8 2016, 7:24pm

Post #12 of 12 (683 views)
Shortcut
Just send me your bank details [In reply to] Can't Post

I will most certainly pass the money on.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.