The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Middle earth inspired pottery

seanrobinson11

Jul 1 2016, 1:28am

Post #1 of 7 (3190 views)
Shortcut
Middle earth inspired pottery Can't Post

Hello all.

I wanted to share some photos of a few pieces of pottery I created based on and inspired by pottery in Middle earth. The Hobbit chronicles books are a major source of inspiration for some of these pieces.

I hope you like what you see.

This is my prop within a prop creation. The portrait was created by a friend of mine in Spain. I was inspired to create the mug held by Bullroarer in the portrait.

This is one of my Pony mugs. Another friend helped me create the stamp I use for the medallion.

The same friend who helped with the Pony stamp helped with the Dragon stamp as well.

This tea set is inspired by Bilbo's tea set. Very fun for me to make.

A one-of-a-kind plate I created a few years ago. All hand painted.

A repurposed 'broken' mug used by Radagast and a chamber stick one might see in Bag End.

I welcome your feedback and new project ideas.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 2 2016, 10:18pm)

Armenelos
The Shire

Jul 2 2016, 12:19am

Post #2 of 7 (3149 views)
Shortcut
Great work!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, those are impressive!!! Thanks for sharing

Fereth
Rivendell

Jul 2 2016, 1:40am

Post #3 of 7 (3139 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful work! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love functional art. Heart The repurposed mug is my favorite.

Gianna
Rohan

Jul 2 2016, 3:49pm

Post #4 of 7 (3130 views)
Shortcut
These are all really amazing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the Smaug plate is incredible! Wow!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2016, 3:10am

Post #5 of 7 (3110 views)
Shortcut
Great work! These pieces are really impressive. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 3 2016, 6:48pm

Post #6 of 7 (3094 views)
Shortcut
I want that Prancing Pony mug so bad!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the tea set. I have wanted Bilbo's tea set since the films.....Tongue

And if WETA will never do something like this - motif tiles...or plaques......

http://flameofudun.net/...date-25-6-2016/page2

The Arkenstone plaque was apparently made for this collector. But I seized on the idea, because aside from printing out "wallpapers" the idea of having simple motif plaques to put behind collectibles is one I got interested in.

Because I love this, but would love to see it expanded to various regions of Middle Earth. I know WETA did some medallions at some point. But I love the idea of tiles w. simple ME motifs that one could put behind collections, or hang on the wall. Because the back of a bookcase can be so boring, although IMO you don't want a busy look in back of a collectible, either.

I'm already wondering how I could pull something like this off in plaster or self-hardening clayCool, but it would be nice if someone who knew what they were doing made a series of these, IMO. Maybe not as large, but I can see beautiful glazes and so on.

seanrobinson11

Jul 3 2016, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 7 (3084 views)
Shortcut
Great comments!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words and support for the pottery I create. There are sure to be more pottery postings soon.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.