LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jul 5 2016, 11:01pm

Post #51 of 69 (906 views)
Shortcut
CGI. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
So it is in fact true that LOTR used a bit more green screen and CGI stunt men/extras?

I would guess yes (maybe) for the first, and no to the second. The CGI armies in the LotR films were, I think, completely CG creations.

And what about CGI? Did the Hobbit employed more CGI than LOTR? Or are green screen and CGI equivalents in this case?

Would you know about that?

LSF
Gondor

Jul 5 2016, 11:23pm

Post #52 of 69 (897 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

since we don't have shot-for-shot behind-the-scenes footage to compare the two trilogies, we can't be completely certain.

But both did use CGI for the exact same purposes. Hobbit/Dwarf size scaling, completely cgi environments (Pelennor Field and The BOFA Valley), physical set environment extensions (Moria and Thranduil's Kingdom), completely CGI creatures, virtual stunt doubles for the main cast, crowds of people, completely CGI armies, physical army extensions, magic/weapon effects...

If I were to guess, I would say there is more of it in Hobbit, simply because the technology to do it was better and easier than back in LOTR days.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 5 2016, 11:23pm

Post #53 of 69 (895 views)
Shortcut
Don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And what about CGI? Did the Hobbit employed more CGI than LOTR? Or are green screen and CGI equivalents in this case?

Would you know about that?

These are just my best guesses and I might be wrong. I do think that the Hobbit films did end up using more CGI than LotR, but I don't have any figures to back that up. Green screen can be paired with CGI but also with other visual effects techniques.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

LSF
Gondor

Jul 6 2016, 12:10am

Post #54 of 69 (889 views)
Shortcut
eh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't put much stock in the Oscars, what with all the industry politics involved in them (a game PJ has said he has no interest in playing). It's nice when something you like wins something, but I can't take it seriously when certain things don't. I've also heard it said that the Oscars generally don't like fantasy, sci-fi, and superheroes. So ROTK getting that sweep in 2004 was a rare thing, from my understanding. There's a reason why some movies are called "oscar-bait."

AUJ and DOS were nominated for a few Oscars, including visual effects and makeup. If I could pick one category for the movies to win, it would be art design.

(This post was edited by LSF on Jul 6 2016, 12:11am)

weathertop
Rohan

Jul 6 2016, 7:49pm

Post #55 of 69 (836 views)
Shortcut
i thought there was some mention [In reply to] Can't Post

in that Alan Lee presentation on how much more was CGI instead of miniatures this time around. almost no miniatures were built.

Enginerd

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 6 2016, 8:06pm

Post #56 of 69 (833 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
i thought there was some mention in that Alan Lee presentation on how much more was CGI instead of miniatures this time around. almost no miniatures were built.

Definitely! Miniatures could not be used with the Red Epic cameras and the 3D filming.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jul 6 2016, 8:33pm

Post #57 of 69 (829 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, except (if the Oscars were a thing to care for) I would have had them win a few more [In reply to] Can't Post

"Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right... even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, YOU move.'"
- Captain America: Civil War

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2016, 10:51pm

Post #58 of 69 (830 views)
Shortcut
Given RotK's Oscar haul, I realize this sounds disengenuous... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because I'm often told so Tongue, but...

The Oscars, as a measure of merit, are MEANINGLESS.

The nominations themselves are good for bringing attention to smaller films that otherwise wouldn't get even a first glance from most moviegoers, but otherwise they mean nothing.

And no film that ever wins an Oscar does so because it "deserves" it. Sure, plenty of deserving films do win Oscars, but they do so, usually, because they had an impressive PR campaign. And there are certainly a legion of films that "deserve" to win that are never even nominated.

Now, I'm not going to say that I'm above celebrating Oscar victories that make me happy (no honest LotR fan could, I think), but it's a waste of energy to get all caught up in anger/frustration over what did or didn't win, or why a favorite was more "deserving" than the winner.

The Oscars, like much else, exist to advertise the glitz and glamor, and perpetuate the mythic stature, of "Hollywood".

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 6 2016, 10:52pm)

Rohan

Jul 7 2016, 12:59am

Post #59 of 69 (796 views)
Shortcut
Every single thing the Elfstone just said [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the golden truth.

And with that same token, The Return of the King really was the best motion picture of 2003. It had been a long time before that day an Oscar winner truly deserved the title bestowed upon it and it hasn't happened since.

And ever since Crash won in 2006, I stopped watching altogether, even for mild entertainment. Because that's just hogwash.

"Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right... even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, YOU move.'"

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 7 2016, 1:27am

Post #60 of 69 (780 views)
Shortcut
RotK used much CGI as TH trilogy did [In reply to] Can't Post

just see the behind the scenes

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Noria
Gondor

Jul 7 2016, 12:46pm

Post #61 of 69 (766 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I‘ve said before that I was very happy that RotK won all those Academy and other awards, happy for the people that won them. To them it probably meant something, personally and professionally and I was grateful to them for LotR. Not so coincidentally, the year of RotK was the last time I watched the AA all the way through.

Also, as a Tolkien book fan of many decades even then, I was happy that at least the film version of LotR got the mainstream attention and praise that the book had mostly been denied.

But otherwise the Academy Awards mean little to me. I don’t believe that there is a best film in any year, and if there is it’s probably one of which most people, especially me, have never heard. Not to mention that the AA themselves are rife with politics and sentiment and the broadcast is nothing more than a kind of reality show.

Another thing is that the Academy has a history of awarding movie phenomena like Titanic, which I happen to like and think is a pretty good movie but not a great one. The phenomenon thing was probably part of why RotK cleaned up at the AA and certainly it was the entire trilogy being rewarded, though I’m not disputing RotK’s quality.

I’d have been happy if TH movies had been nominated for or won any awards, but mostly for the people who made these movies, because again I’m grateful to them. Otherwise, I don’t care. Tolkien has had his day in the Hollywood sun and it’s over.

Rohan

Jul 7 2016, 4:16pm

Post #62 of 69 (748 views)
Shortcut
What a glorious sunny day it was, though! [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt another 'epic' - fantasy or otherwise - will equal or surpass what these two tales together accomplished on the silver screen.

LSF
Gondor

Jul 7 2016, 7:33pm

Post #63 of 69 (728 views)
Shortcut
being realistic [In reply to] Can't Post

I being realistic, with the assumption that they wouldn't have "allowed" them to win more than one Tongue

I would choose art design, because without that phenomenal work in that department, anything visual wouldn't have been as awesome. It was also the category PJ said he had hoped they won with ROTK, if they were only to get one there.

wizzardly
Rohan

Jul 7 2016, 10:40pm

Post #64 of 69 (723 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

this new Ghostbusters coming out looks like it may give PJ's Hobbit a run for its money.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jul 7 2016, 11:35pm

Post #65 of 69 (715 views)
Shortcut
In what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 4 2016, 5:29am

Post #66 of 69 (517 views)
Shortcut
PR campaign? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sure, plenty of deserving films do win Oscars, but they do so, usually, because they had an impressive PR campaign. And there are certainly a legion of films that "deserve" to win that are never even nominated.

Forgive me if I sound uninformed or something, but what does ''PR campaign'' stands for in this statement of yours? I have a guess, and that would be, ''Pre-Release campaign''. But I am not sure, so I would like to ask you to confirm. Smile

Thanks. Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2016, 7:06am

Post #67 of 69 (511 views)
Shortcut
Poblic Relations [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Forgive me if I sound uninformed or something, but what does ''PR campaign'' stands for in this statement of yours? I have a guess, and that would be, ''Pre-Release campaign''. But I am not sure, so I would like to ask you to confirm. Smile

Thanks. Cool

PR campaign is short for public-relations campaign. It's a pretty common example of Hollywood-speak in the entertainment industry.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 4 2016, 7:07am)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Aug 5 2016, 12:18pm

Post #68 of 69 (483 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

So my guess was wrong.

By the way, you misspelled ''public'' in your opening header. Cool

Cheers!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2016, 12:48pm

Post #69 of 69 (480 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
By the way, you misspelled ''public'' in your opening header. Cool

Cheers!

So I see.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.