Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the end-of-June/GoT season finale What are You Watching Thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 29 2016, 8:39pm

Post #26 of 81 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the recommendation... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already way behind on new anime as it is!

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

Annael
Immortal

Jun 29 2016, 8:53pm

Post #27 of 81 (1880 views)
Shortcut
well, I don't watch it but MAJOR SPOILERS [In reply to] Can't Post

this came out today:

http://www.ew.com/...ones-jon-snow-mother

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2016, 10:03pm

Post #28 of 81 (1876 views)
Shortcut
A friend of mine just went to an ERB convention [In reply to] Can't Post

and then an advance screening of the Tarzan movie herself. She of course loved it and wants to know when I'm going to see it with her! Soon, soon. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 29 2016, 10:04pm

Post #29 of 81 (1877 views)
Shortcut
What I don't understand *story spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

is the line that Jon Snow is no longer illegitimate. Of course he is! Rhaegar was married to Elia from Dorne, and she was still alive while Rhaegar and Lyanna were together.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jun 29 2016, 10:28pm

Post #30 of 81 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Just finished up with "Turn" - SPOILERS! [In reply to] Can't Post

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FINALE YET!!!
/
/
/
/
/
/
Okay, so it was the end of the line for John Andre, who was caught and hanged as a spy - yeah the TV show got that right. I can't help but feel bad about it, at least as portrayed Andre was one of the more decent people on the show. Meanwhile, Abe is tried for trying to start an insurrection, breaking into the armory, attempted theft and assaulting Simcoe - even the British officer would probably give him a pass on that one, LOL! But Abe was convicted & sentenced to hang, yet somehow at the last minute his father couldn't stand it and ran to his rescue, grabbing his legs & holding him up so he wouldn't choke to death. And then a General came up out of nowhere and relieved Simcoe of his command - one of the problems I have with this show is they create this "drama" that isn't historically accurate, and then have to pull rabbits out of a hat to get back on historical track! Anyway, now that Arnold has defected & Andre is dead, I feel like this could have been a series finale. I'm really not sure what else they can do with this show. I will now attempt to finish reading "Washington's Spies" to get something closer to the REAL story!Wink

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 29 2016, 11:14pm

Post #31 of 81 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Has to be the same place I spent my weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an interesting experience. Small group but truly devoted and exceptionally knowledgeable.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2016, 12:36am

Post #32 of 81 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Was it [In reply to] Can't Post

Edgar Rice Burroughs Chain of Friendship convention?

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2016, 1:12am

Post #33 of 81 (1866 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like Tarzan might be better than I anticipate [In reply to] Can't Post

I plan to see the movie when it opens on July 1st. I adored the book, and, being wary of book-to-film endeavors, thought it might just be another one of those Cash-In-On-The-Abs type of drivel. From what you say though, I am looking forward to seeing it. Being the age that I am, I grew up with Johnny Weismuller's Tarzan forever imprinted on my brain. It's nice that they aren't trying to remake the original film, but rather striving for something more unique, or I would no doubt be a lot more skeptical. Can't wait to hear what they do with his infamous call. (I read it was a combination of Skarsgard's voice, some animal sounds, and something else I can't remember.)

I haven't read any more of the Tarzan books yet. Have you? And are they as good as the first?

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jun 30 2016, 1:22am

Post #34 of 81 (1853 views)
Shortcut
45 Years and Genius [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally got around to watching this one at one of our indie theaters. Wow! A study in superb acting! Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay are incredible together.

Saw Genius, the story of Thomas Wolfe's relationship with his publisher, friend and mentor Maxell Perkins played by Jude Law and Colin Firth respectively. I felt Jude Law's portrayal of Wolfe was quite over the top, but then not knowing what Wolfe's personality was like, I suppose Law might have been spot on. In any event, it was hard for me to believe such beautiful words could come out of such a seemingly extroverted and self-involved man. However, it makes me curious to read Look Homeward, Angel.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Jun 30 2016, 1:23am)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 30 2016, 3:23am

Post #35 of 81 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Anime [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're a fan of the space program, I highly recommend the semi-new series, "Space Brothers". You can watch it subtitled on CrunchyRoll. Very well done, almost as good as "From the Earth to the Moon", considering that it's fiction set in the near future.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2016, 5:30am

Post #36 of 81 (1841 views)
Shortcut
ECOF [In reply to] Can't Post

At Marriott in Woodland Hills YES

Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2016, 5:34am

Post #37 of 81 (1839 views)
Shortcut
I read many of them [In reply to] Can't Post

But long ago. Quite a few are available free online at project Gutenberg as they are in public domain.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 30 2016, 1:51pm

Post #38 of 81 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Space Brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I've heard of Space Brothers and I find myself watching more and more stuff on Netflix or other services instead of buying it outright. There isn't a lot of hard s.f. in movies and television; those mediums prefer the action and spectacle of space opera. What does get adapted is often not well or faithfully adapted. I very much liked The Martian, but I went into that film cold, never having read the book.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 30 2016, 1:52pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2016, 12:11pm

Post #39 of 81 (1692 views)
Shortcut
I plan on seeing it... and your comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

of John Carter (I really like this movie) played by Taylor Kitch and Tarzan played by Skarsgard made me smile... they played brothers in Battleship ;)

This version of Tarzan looks like one that needs to be seen on the BIG SCREEN with BIG SOUND! I've been looking forward to it... though it'll be a few days before I have time to actually get to the theatre *sniffel*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2016, 1:04pm

Post #40 of 81 (1676 views)
Shortcut
That's the one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you happen to attend the round table discussion afterwards?

My friend is bragging she's hoping to see it in 4-D tonight before she flies back here to the East Coast. Smile

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jul 1 2016, 7:04pm

Post #41 of 81 (1648 views)
Shortcut
Just saw Tarzan movie and it was great!! [In reply to] Can't Post

the CGI was Ok and the story was good...

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jul 1 2016, 8:25pm

Post #42 of 81 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Young Sherlock Holmes and X-Men First Class. [In reply to] Can't Post

Both very good prequels.

I always follow my job through.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 1 2016, 9:23pm

Post #43 of 81 (1612 views)
Shortcut
didn't get the chance [In reply to] Can't Post

was doing the conference on the cheap and had to drive home.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 1 2016, 9:40pm

Post #44 of 81 (1612 views)
Shortcut
The Legend of Tarzan [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw it this afternoon, and visually it has some great moments and occasionally gives hints of the imaginary Africa that Burroughts wrote about -unbelievably savage, mysterious and beautiful with sudden death literally waiting around every corner. The script and story, unfortunately, left me still waiting for a Tarzan movie that is even half as good as the books. Listening to 21st Century slang and repetitive, by-the-book ultra-PC Hollywood dialogue coming out of the mouths of actors dressed in 19th century clothing was pretty jarring. Christooph Waltz, though, made a great villain and was the only character whose acting and dialogue felt authentic to the time period.

As for my dream Tarzan movie - that would be a faithful retelling of the first two books - including Tarzan's french accent. I'm guessing I'll be waiting indefinitely. Smile Tongue

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jul 2 2016, 4:35am

Post #45 of 81 (1595 views)
Shortcut
I think I've about had it with Turn [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always had a keen interest in the colonial period and Revolutionary War but the liberties this show takes are just annoying. I can understand when they need to composite characters or shorten timelines for dramatic effect, just as I understood compositing Glorfindel and Arwen in the LOTR movies but the liberties this series is taking are like the Kili-Tauriel-Legolas triangle, resurrection of Azog, and Dune-like sandworms at the BOFA -- all the more annoying because they just aren't needed.

In The Hobbit, the original text was really enough to create a stirring, compelling tale. In Turn, the actual history is suspenseful and interesting enough by itself without these embellishments and changes.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 2 2016, 3:11pm

Post #46 of 81 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

On this we agree - I cancelled SlingTV after the series finale, and like I said, I'm not sure what else they can do now that the big historical events have happened. The book is a bit difficult to read, IMO - obviously because it's a historical report instead of a fiction, but the narrative to me seems a bit jumpy. The author doesn't stay on topic very well, and that makes it hard to keep up. As you said, I don't mind if they combine some characters to streamline the story, but that bit about Abe being saved at the last minute was just unbelievable! I understand that Abe and Simcoe did hate each other in real life, so hopefully I'll get to that part of the real story soon.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 2 2016, 6:26pm

Post #47 of 81 (1579 views)
Shortcut
The local Shakespeare in the park company [In reply to] Can't Post

put on a production of The Adventures of Pericles. Not one of the bard's more artistic works; more of a summer popcorn audience pleaser. This production was done with a Victorian/steampunk theme, and mostly set in the woods and trails of the park. It was fun to watch, but not a classic like Hamlet or Macbeth, and the plot was all too clichéd, with a true deus ex machina ending. OTOH, kidnapped by pirates is good.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 3 2016, 4:17am

Post #48 of 81 (1574 views)
Shortcut
The Legend of Tarzan [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up with Johnny Weismuller's king of the jungle, and have read ERB's original story. First, I'm so glad they didn't try to reinvent the wheel and went with new story with some flashbacks to Tarzan's origins thrown in. BTW I thought those flashbacks were exactly as I envisioned them when I read the book. So they got those spot on.

Skarsgard was fABulous to watch, and I thought the character he portrayed was good, not being the talkative social creature now that he is the Lord Greystoke. Withdrawn and a bit uncomfortable in his new skin, that's the way I saw him.

I thought the ending a bit too sugary, and the overall camera work more than occasionally irritatingly jerky, especially in the fight scenes. The CGI and special effects should have been a lot better. They should have used Weta Digital.

All in all, a lot better than I had expected, but not quite as good as it could have been. But I loved it nevertheless, and plan a second viewing, popcorn in hand. It deserves being seen on the big screen too. Oh, and I was waiting with apprehension for Tarzan's signature call. My my my....they did it very well. No disappointment there! Probably the best Tarzan we've seen in a long time. Hopefully there will be others.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2016, 6:06am

Post #49 of 81 (1557 views)
Shortcut
glad you weren't disappointed// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 4 2016, 1:01am

Post #50 of 81 (1546 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts on "Legend of Tarzan" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not really going to discuss the plot here, so I'm not putting up a spoilers warning.

I originally thought this movie would be lame, but then read this discussion & decided it might be worth a look. I can honestly say it was DEFINITELY worth it! First, the story makes a fair amount of sense. Second, the acting was also very good. Alexander Skarsgard certainly looks fine without his shirt on, but there's more to him than that. His character had lots of battle scars, which also makes alot of sense when you think about his life experience. Samuel Jackson & Christoph Waltz were also very good, if playing their usual characters; however Samuel didn't utter one single F-bomb! I don't know where it was filmed, but the background scenery was absolutely breath-taking! There was heavy mist settling over trees, with jagged cliff-like mountains and massive rivers - kind of like New Zealand, but obviously different, and very beautiful. Finally the CGI animals were very real-looking. Now I did see "The Jungle Book" recently, and of course that movie had jungle and CGI animals. All I can say is the state of CGI has greatly improved this year! Finally, whatever the song was that played at the end of the movie, I WANT IT!!! Anybody know what it is?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.