The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"And seated a little apart..."

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jun 27 2016, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 4 (1885 views)
Shortcut
"And seated a little apart..." Can't Post

And seated a little apart was a tall mane it ha fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance.

The Council of Elrond LOTR II ,1

It's Boromir, of course. Not quite sure if all these Northern races, perhaps. A man on a delicate diplomatic mission, suddenly thrown into a summit meeting that appears to be about something else entirely. When we discussed this chapter recently I think I missed this subtle seating-plan hint that Boromir wasn't going to fit into the Fellowship quite so easily. Nice little touch in the writing, I think.

~~~~~~
volunteers are still needed to lead chapters for our upcoming Book VI ROTK read-through (Book V is all signed up, thanks!) http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=904377#904377

A set of links to our Book III discussions can be found here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=886383#886383

A set of links to the Book IV discussions are here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=899201#899201

A wonderful list of links to Boook II, Book I and previous read-throughs is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

enanito
Rohan

Jun 28 2016, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 4 (1845 views)
Shortcut
glancing and then gazing [In reply to] Can't Post

Likewise, he is initially described as stern of glance, and not stern of gaze (or equivalent). Kind of like he's reserving himself inwardly, with only occasional glances about to gather insight then retreating again.

Then of course once he sees Frodo and Bilbo, his glance becomes a gaze of wonder! So while his fitting into the Fellowship might be iffy, he's definitely interested in these halflings...

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jun 29 2016, 1:49am

Post #3 of 4 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Stranger in a strange land [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And seated a little apart was a tall man with a fair and noble face, dark-haired and grey-eyed, proud and stern of glance.

Unless I’ve missed somebody here’s a list of the (named) Council attendees:
Gandalf; Frodo; Bilbo; (don’t forget sneaky Sam); Gloin; Gimli; Aragorn; Glorfindel; Elrond; Erestor; Galdor; Legolas; and Boromir.

So was Boromir the only stranger in this gathering? As each other member knew at least some of the other members. Or could we assume that perhaps Legolas was also a stranger? (He is narrated as a strange Elf clad in green and brown...) If we take the presumption that he was not met by Bilbo or any of the Dwarves in The Hobbit, and that he was not in the BOFA (we don’t know for sure!), he could also be considered a stranger not knowing any of the other members of the Council. (Somewhat of a stretch I’ll admit.)

Getting into the mind of Boromir, part of his dream was answered when he saw Frodo and Bilbo (and Sam?) Also Elrond says that ’…here his questions will be answered.’. So I think Boromir put up with (and was probably most interested in) the preliminary talks of Erebor, Moria, The Last Alliance, etc., knowing that his turn will come.

Nice catch on the ‘seated a little apart’ though. I hadn’t really given that a lot of thought.

'Still it might be well for all if all these strengths were joined, and the powers of each were used in league.'
-Glóin

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Jun 29 2016, 1:53am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jun 30 2016, 11:58pm

Post #4 of 4 (1750 views)
Shortcut
He never did seem to fit in, but I never thought Legolas did either. [In reply to] Can't Post

Take away movie-Legolas, and book-Legolas never was the center of attention. The hobbits, Dwarf, and Gandalf made sense to me, because I'd read The Hobbit first, but Elves in the The Hobbit were aloof and mysterious, and Legolas retained those traits for me.

Legolas stood out as immortal and from an isolationist society, whereas Boromir stood out as proud, a little dense, and sophisticated in a Gondorian way, but not in a multiracial way. It meant nothing to the hobbits, for example to see a Dwarf, because they'd seen them in the Shire, and it wasn't too shocking being around a Man or a Wizard. Elves were clearly a different story, but they were known to exist. By contrast, Boromir is a Man from an all-human society where friends and foes were humans too. It seemed to me for that reason (not the only reason) that he never fit into the Fellowship.

The other thing that seemed to make Boromir stand apart was that he considered his socially superior rank to be unique. Sam was the only commoner in the group, with the rest either highly privileged/aristocratic/royal, but Boromir never seemed to see the others as his equals. That, and not really buying into the whole idea of the Quest, I guess he was never going to fit in easily.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.