Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
If you wanted to have any part of The Silmarillion adapted to film or tv...

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 26 2016, 8:37pm

Post #1 of 11 (1739 views)
Shortcut
If you wanted to have any part of The Silmarillion adapted to film or tv... Can't Post

What part would you want to see?

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 26 2016, 9:38pm

Post #2 of 11 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Of Beren and Lúthien [In reply to] Can't Post

If we limit the discussion to the Quenta Silmarillion then I think that I'd like to see an adaptation of the Tale of Beren and Lúthien. There would still be a lot of backstory to cover including explaining the Silmarils, Melkor and Sauron, as well as Thingol, Melian, the realm of Doriath and the parentage of Beren, but it wouldn't be much more complicated than adapting the old Greek epics.

Honestly, I think that the whole of the Quenta Silmarillion would be more easily adapted to opera than to film.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jun 27 2016, 12:24pm

Post #3 of 11 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Agreeing about of Luthien and Beren, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would also love something covering the Children of Hurin.
Turin's tale was of such a tragic story, I think it would be interesting to see on big or little screen. It might have to be turned into a film though, if it's own book would be used for the script. The chapter in the Silmarillion was not quite as long as the book version of the story was.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Gianna
Rohan

Jun 27 2016, 8:48pm

Post #4 of 11 (1661 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Luthien [In reply to] Can't Post

Likely the most potential as a movie, besides being one of my favourite stories of all time.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~
------
My website...
...my fantasy novel Seascape...
...and my fantasy novel Starscape.

DainPig
Gondor

Jun 29 2016, 1:53am

Post #5 of 11 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Agree 101% [In reply to] Can't Post

This or Akallabeth

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jul 5 2016, 1:54am

Post #6 of 11 (1411 views)
Shortcut
I'll go with either Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin, or The Fall of Gondolin. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 5 2016, 2:31am

Post #7 of 11 (1406 views)
Shortcut
If the writing could be worthy of Tolkien, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd watch a TV series about the voyages of Earendil. Or any of the other renowned seafarers of Middle-earth.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2016, 7:36pm

Post #8 of 11 (1277 views)
Shortcut
The way I see it there are roughly six major character-driven stories from the Quenta [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Fall of the Noldor (including the family drama of the Finwians)
2. Beren and Lúthien
3. The Children of Húrin
4. Wanderings of Húrin/Ruin of Doriath (left in an especially confused state)
5. The Fall of Gondolin
6. Eärendil the Wanderer (never written out but always of crucial importance)

(Plus the Akallabêth and other material covering the Second and Third Ages in Of the Rings of Power.)

The Ainulindalë, Valaquenta, and early chapters of the QS are told in a very remote, mythological style and are the kind of thing that might be summarized in a prologue or related briefly through expository dialogue, rather than fodder for a visual adaptation, IMO. Everything regarding the tensions among the Noldor, the destruction of the Two Trees, the rebellion and Kinslaying, etc. makes a fascinating and character-rich drama. However, I would rather not see that part adapted. I think it's important for there to remain "unattainable vistas" (to borrow Tolkien's phrase) and a sense of history and decline behind the events in the foreground. LOTR has this in spades and it's a huge part of the literary effect.

QS has this too, towards, after the action shifts to Beleriand, where Valinor becomes the emotional backdrop (Gondolin being made as an image of Tirion, for example). The overlapping major stories that make up the end of the QS, numbers 2-6 on my list above, or just about everything from the breaking of the Siege of Angband to the War of Wrath, are also primarily focused on humans (plus Eärendil who identifies more with humanity despite ultimately choosing to become an immortal with Elwing). That adds an extra level of separation between the characters and the Valar, which I think is important since the Valar should be used very sparingly in any adaptation so as not to make them seem over-familiar and thus relatively inconsequential (again, IMO).

Of course, the later portions of QS were left in a really unfinished state by Tolkien, so any adaptation would by necessity be largely fanfiction, which I'm not really in a hurry to see. But if there were to be an adaptation of The Silmarillion, this is where I'd like to see them focus.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 17 2016, 12:50pm

Post #9 of 11 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Beren & Luthien, fersher... and [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a run on the history of Men first encountering the Elves as they entered Beleriand from the East... ultimately making Morgoth feel threatened and getting into the mix. It really is a great story!

Of the Coming of Men into the West: The Silmarillion pt.1 of 16

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Wainrider
Rivendell

Jul 25 2016, 2:28am

Post #10 of 11 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion Scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

There are far too many good one, but I think my favorite has always been Nirnaeth Arnoediad (hope I spelled that right). That's the biggest and saddest epic battle where the Noldor are nearly wiped out. It's so dramatic because they might have won, but ended up in total defeat.

Other good parts are duel of Fingolfin and Morgoth, the showdowns with Sauron, and of course the war of wrath (final battle against Morgoth).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2016, 11:10pm

Post #11 of 11 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Morgoth showdowns... [In reply to] Can't Post

Always great stories! *high five*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.