The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
John Rawls talks about being Azog - and then not -

Lissuin
Valinor

Jun 27 2016, 6:01am

Post #1 of 7 (1192 views)
Shortcut
John Rawls talks about being Azog - and then not - Can't Post

and then voice-over Yazneg. A bit of Hobbit film history in the actor's own words.
That's show biz, folks! ShockedEvil

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...ion-of-twelfth-night

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 29 2016, 5:48pm

Post #2 of 7 (991 views)
Shortcut
Geez! [In reply to] Can't Post

Six months of filming, yikes, they likely had quite a bit of his scenes shot. I really would have loved to have seen prosthetic orcs in these movies. An old, well covered topic here, sad story.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 29 2016, 6:16pm

Post #3 of 7 (981 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really would have loved to have seen prosthetic orcs in these movies.

There are still many prosthetic orcs in these movies, like Fimbul, Narzug, Yazneg, Conan Stevens Bolg, nearly every orc in battle of Moria, nearly every orc in Lake-town, nearly every orc in Dale during BOFA plus some other orcs. So there are many prosthetic orcs in the Hobbit trilogy.

Dcole4
Rohan

Jun 29 2016, 6:24pm

Post #4 of 7 (979 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a matter of personal preference. I personally would have preferred a stronger visual continuity with LOTR by having Azog and Bolg be prosthetic orcs. I think the 5K resolution and high frame rate really showed the weaknesses of make up thus why they went cgi. They're very impressive creations but I still think the aesthetic feels mcuh more grounded with real performers in costume. Again personal preference, doesn't affect my obsession with the movies.

I have similar wishes that the orcs had spoke at least half of their dialogue in English, I found the black speech a bit alienating. It's cool, but for scenes with the dwarves, especially when he's communicating with Thorin, it's odd that he speaks in a language that we've already established Thorin doesn't understand in the DOS prologue.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jun 29 2016, 6:33pm

Post #5 of 7 (976 views)
Shortcut
He understand it but can not read it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it's odd that he speaks in a language that we've already established Thorin doesn't understand in the DOS prologue.

Thorin can not read Black Speech but maybe he understands when someone speaks it.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jun 30 2016, 5:23pm

Post #6 of 7 (915 views)
Shortcut
But Thorin never speaks directly to Azog, does he? [In reply to] Can't Post

So it's not even clear whether he understands it.

But maybe, like the poster above said, he doesn't understand the language but is able to tell when someone is speaking it.

What IS weird, though, is how Thorin can read the map of the Mountain in the scene where they are trying to open the Door of the Mountain when the whole point of going to Rivendell was to get the map read by someone who could understand it (i. e., Elrond).

Well, if we are here to nitpick, then I am in my right to do so too, right? Wink

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Jun 30 2016, 5:32pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 30 2016, 6:22pm

Post #7 of 7 (910 views)
Shortcut
The Moon-letters [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What IS weird, though, is how Thorin can read the map of the Mountain in the scene where they are trying to open the Door of the Mountain when the whole point of going to Rivendell was to get the map read by someone who could understand it (i. e., Elrond).

Thorin was always able to read the map. It was only the moon-letters that he couldn't read--and only because they were invisible unless they were viewed under a crescent, midsummer's moon. The company needed to let Elrond see the map to discover if it held any secrets such as the moon-letters.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes, the "Gossiper of the Gods"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.